• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to, surely? Has broken the first commandment of Australian cricket ("Thou shalt not lose to the poms") three times now. As a captain he just looks gone but I think he still has something to offer as a batsman. CA should emphasise this when they give him a subtle shove.

If the fact Clarke doesn't look a captain in waiting keeps Ponting in situ then that's piss-weak leadership from above. Haddin & Hussey are both senior, repsected players who have stood up (would guess they've scored nearly 50% of Australia's runs between them) and could do the job in the immediate short term until a younger bloke steps up.

Anyway, hearty congrats to the two Andys and the rest of the chaps. :cool: We came with a definite plan nad have been good enough to execute it. The blip at Perth made the performance at the 'G all the more impressive.
The only reason Ponting retained the captaincy after the last Ashes was because certain members of the board refused to have Clarke

Fact is that Ponting probably should have been dumped after '05, definitely should've gone after '09 and if he is still captain for our next series then there should be a riot

Rant0r

International 12th Man
The players still seem to respect Ponting a hell of a lot, sadly though he probably shouldn't be respecting them much, they've been pretty poor really, if they played like this for Border they'd be out on their arses

Spark

Global Moderator
The only reason Ponting retained the captaincy after the last Ashes was because certain members of the board refused to have Clarke

Fact is that Ponting probably should have been dumped after '05, definitely should've gone after '09 and if he is still captain for our next series then there should be a riot
First I've heard this.

AFAIK Ponting has the players' - including Clarke's - support.

Son Of Coco

Spent four days at the G watching the cricket. In years past the Barmy Army never worried me as I could always say "who is winning?"

Well they really annoyed me today:@
Don't worry Archie, they might be top of The Ashes tree, but they're still bottom of the gene pool :ph34r:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
They're just happy cricket fans, fans that have been as loud when they're losing as when they're winning, they're real fans, not bandwagon jumpers, respect to that

Son Of Coco

I agree actually, have no problem with the Barmy Army at all. They're good value and never cause any problems as far as I'm aware. I thought it was unfortunate the trumpeter was silenced in 2006, although the cricket might have done that anyway way back then :happy: