Page 124 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2574

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    <click>

Hello Eoin...Yes, it's your agent... Listen, you need to pick your priorities for the early season. Either you can go to India, all expenses paid, get a fat wad of cash and spend six weeks sitting on the bench watching some T20, or you can stay in the 2nd division, play all day for 25 days or so and potentially embarass yourself and lose your England place. So, er... Eoin...? Hello...?

<click>
    If he's got any ambitions of cementing a Test place, he'd do the hard yards in County Cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Yep, but you've failed to explain why that course of events is needed, before Hildreth gets ahead
    And there's not really an entirely convincing argument for Hildreth being ahead tbph.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Because a slot in the batting line up should open up with Collingwood's woeful form, and with your top 5 in good form a home series in Sri Lanka should be an ideal time to blood a young player who you might ear-mark for England honours in the future, whether that's Taylor, Hildreth, Morgan or AN Other.

There's a dearth of English batsmen with any sort of Test experience outwith the current incumbents in the top 6. If you look at Steve Finn, you would imagine that once Broad returns, injury permitting our seam attack will be Anderson-Tremlett-Broad. Finn can go away with the Lions to the West Indies and go back to county cricket and work on the issues that have arisen on this tour, and become a better player for it - but not only would he potentially come back a better player, he'd come into the side as a player with a bit of Test experience and also close to 50 wickets already under his belt.
    Love the theory behind that and wish it would be true. Unfortunately such is the County schedule he would have little time on the practice pitches to iron out such flaws, and be driven into the ground playing 25 consecutive days. How Angus Fraser manages Finn would be crucial in the ideal scenario developing.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Loving this segment on Murali on C9's The Cricket Show right now.

God I love Murali.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    If he's got any ambitions of cementing a Test place, he'd do the hard yards in County Cricket.
    When exactly can he do that though?

At the moment he's surely the next man in line in the batting order (if he wasn't then why is he on this tour?), and until he is proven a failure I can't see any way that will change with our current selectors methods.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Because a slot in the batting line up should open up with Collingwood's woeful form, and with your top 5 in good form a home series in Sri Lanka should be an ideal time to blood a young player who you might ear-mark for England honours in the future, whether that's Taylor, Hildreth, Morgan or AN Other.

There's a dearth of English batsmen with any sort of Test experience outwith the current incumbents in the top 6. If you look at Steve Finn, you would imagine that once Broad returns, injury permitting our seam attack will be Anderson-Tremlett-Broad. Finn can go away with the Lions to the West Indies and go back to county cricket and work on the issues that have arisen on this tour, and become a better player for it - but not only would he potentially come back a better player, he'd come into the side as a player with a bit of Test experience and also close to 50 wickets already under his belt.
    Not arguing that Colly has got to go, he does. Just believe Hildreth is the better card at this point. This blooding on potential didn't really work for Bopara or countless others, you pick the guy you think is ready for the job. The selectors may well feel that's Taylor, fair enough if so.

Really think comparing fast bowlers to batsmen is slightly meaningless. The England selectors clearly want to molly-coddle their bowlers, whilst with batsmen they want them playing matches and scoring runs. Also there's always likely to be injuries amongst the pack, so I very much doubt Finn will be playing that much other cricket to improve, most will be done in the nets with the England set-up.
    Last edited by grecian; 27-12-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Love the theory behind that and wish it would be true. Unfortunately such is the County schedule he would have little time on the practice pitches to iron out such flaws, and be driven into the ground playing 25 consecutive days. How Angus Fraser manages Finn would be crucial in the ideal scenario developing.
    The players are centrally contracted though, you'd hope the ECB and the counties would work together for the player's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    And there's not really an entirely convincing argument for Hildreth being ahead tbph.
    No there isn't, you suggested daylight however. Which is where I came in really.

I suppose this is keeping me going through lunch, not terribly productive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    And sometimes it isn't. Neither Hildreth or Taylor have played any Test cricket and their County records aren't too dissimilar. There's nothing clear cut to suggest that Hildreth will fare better other than the idea that he's played a few more games. There's nothing to lose from picking Taylor IMO.
    If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and he's got a load of time on his side to go back to County cricket and earn his way back into the side. I just feel he's got more potential than Hildreth and giving him a chance won't hurt.

Yeah, sometimes patience can work and other times it means you miss out on 3 or 4 years of a quality batsman.
    Imo it's unlikely at the age of 20 and after only two years in County cricket, you are ready to play Test cricket. At times it can help for a young player to see the standards he needs to meet to be successful at the top, on the other hand there is generally little to be gained by throwing in a kid before he's ready, especially when it isn't necessary.

To suggest their County records are not dissimilar, I think would be a near 5,000 run difference oversight, but I presume you're just looking at their averages.

We're there. I might give it the first couple of overs as it's only 2am

urgh **** why does Melbourne have to be in such a ****ing hideous timezone

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Should win this today with the dodgy convict batting line up.

The players are centrally contracted though, you'd hope the ECB and the counties would work together for the player's benefit.
    You're right they should be able to formulate some schedule for him to work to. But structured practice may still prove a problematic area.

Could be a long old stint for the 4-man attack, this.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Set my alarm for 4 to cover any snoozes

Fully expect it wrapped up quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

A couple of early strikes wouldn't go amiss here! Let's get Ponting in early doors.

Thread Information