• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hmm, I dunno, I know Austraia's batting is pretty rubbish atm, but just because Shazhad bowled well at Bangladesh's tail... He was also rubbish in his first spell against the top order iirc.

I don't dispute that Shazhad is the better long term prospect, I just think Bresnan is a more reliable pick for a match starting this week.
It's still more than anything Bresnan's done at international level. You'd be as well asking Collingwood to fill in as the 3rd seamer.

Spark

Global Moderator
I remember when Bresnan played against us in the ODIs in our winter. He got carted by, well, basically everyone. And our batting lineup was misfiring so badly Clarke was our best bat ffs.

If Bresnan comes in for Finn I wouldn't mind one bit.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bresnan was the better bowler at Bellerive, in my view. Shahzad started with a bang but Bresnan was more consistently threatening. Would back him to be the most likely to trouble guys like Hussey on a pudding MCG where Shahzad might slide onto the bat at a good hitting pace.

Last edited:

Burgey

Whoever comes in, I'd be surprised if they don't do a decent job. They've all bowled reasonably on tour and england's squad this tour has been finely honed and well prepared.

Which ever way they go, I reckon the player will be cherry ripe.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson missing will be a huge blow though. Even when he hasn't got wickets he hasn't gone for many runs.

Most economical fast bowler this year

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...wickets_career.html?class=1;id=2010;type=year

England officials have declared Anderson available for selection.

''He just had some stiffness in his side. He's had some treatment, it's responded well to treatment and we would expect him to play in the Boxing Day Test,'' an ECB spokesman said.

He said Anderson would not be given a fitness test before the match. ''That's not the plan at this stage,'' he said. ''The day before the match the guys' practice is their time, it's what they feel is necessary preparation for the match. Expect that to be no different this week.''

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
No doubt in my mind Shahzad is already the better bowler. Not absolutely express, but possessed of the sort of Simon Jones/Shane Bond, slippery, swingy kind of pace. Bowls high 80s/low 90s regularly. Probably our quickest bowler in the squad. Not tall (well, as fast bowlers go) so bowls a wicket-to-wicket line and threatens the stumps a lot.

Reverses the old ball and shapes his deliveries nicely back into left handers before the ball leaves them; with Hussey proved a massive pain in the aris this could be crucial.
Thanks BB. Looks like England should remember that faint heart never won fair ashes and pick Shahzad.

Redbacks

International Captain
Just wondering if Greg Chappell is going to rest or rotate Harris or Johnson for this Test, considering his explanation for Johnson's Adelaide ommission. lol
Assuming he was telling the truth, they wouldn't need to rest them as Johnson's problems were biomechanical and rest was required to fix them.

TumTum

Banned
So does anybody have a clue about what the pitch will be like? The media are coming up with conflicting stories. Why wouldn't the curator make a lively pitch like the WACA though? Seems a bit strange.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Put another $100 on Aussie today @ $2.50 after making a tidy profit on them last match. I reckon the draw is a possible here, but still think the value is in Australia.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
Mmmmmm, Aussies will have confidence going out of Perth, while the English batsmen do not look invincible anymore.

The Pitch is supposed to be slow, which the English would be used to I guess.

Uppercut

Put another $100 on Aussie today @ $2.50 after making a tidy profit on them last match. I reckon the draw is a possible here, but still think the value is in Australia.
Hmm. The only way I can see a draw is if the curator churns out an absolute prank-pitch that's like the Gabba was on day four from the very start. Both teams are bowling a lot better than they're batting at the moment.