• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

JBH001

International Regular
Don't agree with that, tbh. I thought it a suicide single rather than a cheeky single. Trott had little to do other than move a couple of paces to his left, gather and throw in from short cover (which hardly demands a fantastic arm). Foolish run, IMO, and Hughes should have said "no" and sold Watson down the river if he had to.

kp4captain

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If Hughes had pulled out a Trott-esque dive I think he would have been safe.

But you just don't have to take those risks, in that game situation.

Also, why is "Twatto" disliked by most? Seems a decent enough guy and one of Australia's most consistent performers over the last 18 months

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbh, I thought the run was on, took a top throw to nail Hughes without which it would have been a cheeky single.

It was just unnecessary.
Ha ha

"Let's hit the ball slightly to the left of one of the slowest outfielders in world cricket and see whether he can throw it back to the keeper from 15 metres away'

Any other fieldsman and he wouldve been out by yards

Shocker

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If Hughes had pulled out a Trott-esque dive I think he would have been safe.

But you just don't have to take those risks, in that game situation.

Also, why is "Twatto" disliked by most? Seems a decent enough guy and one of Australia's most consistent performers over the last 18 months
Look at him. He's just a ****.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, I don't understand why people keep saying Trott's a wheelie bin and can't field. He's slow, yes, but he's clearly got a good arm. Thus the two run outs in this series - one of them direct and the other pretty much direct.

He's a good catcher too - anyone see the pocket catch? Thats takes genius. :ph34r:

pskov

International 12th Man
Also, I don't understand why people keep saying Trott's a wheelie bin and can't field. He's slow, yes, but he's clearly got a good arm. Thus the two run outs in this series - one of them direct and the other pretty much direct.

He's a good catcher too - anyone see the pocket catch? Thats takes genius. :ph34r:
I think he's no worse than average in the field and just stands out because England are now a very good fielding side.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha ha

"Let's hit the ball slightly to the left of one of the slowest outfielders in world cricket and see whether he can throw it back to the keeper from 15 metres away'

Any other fieldsman and he wouldve been out by yards

Shocker
Any other fielder and they wouldn't have gone, yes?

Both batters obviously thought the run was on, Watto called and Hughes went pretty much straight away. They were probably well aware it was to Trott's wrong hand and weren't expecting him to pull off probably the best bit of close-in fielding in the series. Sorry mate but I still reckon the run was there.

As I said, though, you'd think it wasn't necessary but I understand the motivation for taking some quick singles when the team is motoring at > 5 an over.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
tbh, I thought the run was on, took a top throw to nail Hughes without which it would have been a cheeky single.

It was just unnecessary.
I genuinely don't understand the logic here. Attempting a cheeky but unnecessary single where you'll be run out by a top throw is brainless. Yes it might make sense in a hurried run chase but in an Ashes-deciding backs-to-the-wall effort, it's as brainless and wasteful as you can get. In that context, a cheeky single with that level of risk was never "on".

Anyhow the scoreboard has spoken and I'm delighted they chose to attempt the single. The latest in a series of ridiculous run-outs gifted to us by top order Aussie batsmen at important points in recent Ashes series: Ponting, Ponting, Katich and now Hughes being the batsmen dismissed

JBH001

International Regular
I liked that interview by Watson. He came across as honest and straightforward, hardly a "Twatto".

Top_Cat

Again, it was only 'on' from the perspective whether there was technically a run there. Already said it was unnecessary in the context of the game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Again, it was only 'on' from the perspective whether there was technically a run there. Already said it was unnecessary in the context of the game.
Agreed, should attempt more runs when the ball is hit straight to close in fielders.

Top_Cat

Haddin and Johnson won't get a better opportunity to score run-a-ball doubles. Good pitch, tired attack, etc. :ph34r: