• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, kudos to the selectors for bringing Tiny Tim in. Was a ballsy decision to drop our (and at the time the series') leading wicket taker, but a great advert for playing the performaces as well as the stats. Finn has bowled a few gems, but was flattered by a 6-for at Bris and haemorraged runs at over 5 an over in a low scoring game in Perth.
Sometimes you watch someone not performing but getting wickets and you wonder what the selectors are making of that bowler. Terrific job by the selectors.

English selectors have to be some of the best in the world in the past little while. Certainly an upgrade from the lack of loyalty shown in the 1980s.

On another note - Watson's run out of Hughes was inexcusable there was no need for quick singles.

Finally pontings dismissal. I didn't think the ball did an awful lot. Just a poor execution by Ponting.

TumTum

Banned
Was at the MCG today. What a disappointing day, at least the atmosphere and experience was fun.

Loved the mexican waves, everyone started booing when it reached to a certain part of the stands (don't know why).

There were probably more English fans there, when Ponting got bowled almost everyone around me got up in celebration, me and my friend were the only people that remained seated in our vicinity.

I have no clue how Smith got bowled.

Bloody hell Hughes, just when you looks like you get going, you get yourself run out :@

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was at the MCG today. What a disappointing day, at least the atmosphere and experience was fun.

Loved the mexican waves, everyone started booing when it reached to a certain part of the stands (don't know why).

There were probably more English fans there, when Ponting got bowled almost everyone around me got up in celebration, me and my friend were the only people that remained seated in our vicinity.

Bloody hell Hughes, just when you looks like you get going, you get yourself run out :@
Smith chopped it on.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

No blame can be attached to Hughes, you could see from Watson's face at the time and in his interview after play finished he was solely to blame.

Could be a tough way to get dropped though if Katich is fit.

Spark

Global Moderator
Was a strange shot by Smith. Was almost wide enough to cut like he did the previous ball. Not sure what to make of it.

TumTum

Banned
No blame can be attached to Hughes, you could see from Watson's face at the time and in his interview after play finished he was solely to blame.
True, but he could have dived. Watson said the same thing about the Katich run-out in Adelaide, which was Katich's fault.

ajdude

International Coach
True, but he could have dived. Watson said the same thing about the Katich run-out in Adelaide, which was Katich's fault.
Watson called him through on a non-existant single my son, I doubt he would've made it even if he didn't hesitate (without a dive that is, but that would still indicate a risky single)

Spark

Global Moderator
Difference there that there was obviously a run there. There was never a run here. It was a horrible single and if Hughes does lose his spot, a pretty terrible way to go especially given that he was starting to look fairly settled at the crease.

Woodster

International Captain
Ashes virtually in the bag, but I'm not one to start counting my chickens yet, and should we win this Test it's still important we don't let go of this lead at Sydney and ensure we win the series.

Tim Bresnan was outstanding today, he has done everything that was expected of him apart from get a few runs down the order, but in the bowling department, spot on. He was constantly at the batsmen, asking questions almost every delivery, gave them nothing like the amount of freebies that Finn served up, got some decent reverse swing, and caused genuine problems throughout.

Tremlett was unlucky, he was once again showed very encouraging signs on a pretty flat deck, while they had no idea how to play Swann. Clarke, generally an excellent player of spin, looked ponderous and unsure whether to come down the pitch or play him from deep in his crease. It was like a mercy killing when Strauss snaffled him.

As everyone has recognised, we have played significantly the better cricket in this series. Our batting was excellent in this Test, Jon Trott perhaps gaining some deserved recognition for the calmness and sound way he goes about his job in the difficult position at number three. The bowlers have backed that up with two excellent displays in these innings so far, and I expect it to be wrapped up fairly quickly tomorrow.

Good idea from England to try and give Smith some easy runs to ensure he keeps his place at number six for Sydney, but he couldn't manage to put a half tracker away!

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dayum, how well has Tim Bresnan bowled in this Test match! Gone at under 2 an over in both innings, and more importantly taken key wickets. Got rid of Hughes and Haddin in the first innings; and then Watson, Ponting and Hussey so far in the 2nd. Been an excellent performance, and one that should secure his place for Sydney. Really liking our Fast Bowling stocks ATM. I'd say Anderson, Tremlett and Broad should be our first choice attack, and then after those 3 we've got Bresnan, Finn and Onions. That's a very good back-up seam attack, then there's Shahzad and the likes of Woakes and Plunkett outside the squad; oh, and Simon Jones when he's fit too. :ph34r:
Yup. I was saying on the "bowling stocks" thread in CC that this is potentially our best batch of quicks since the late 1970's. We'll need more time to make a defintiive judgement about this lot, as some of them have barely started their test careers, but things really are promising. For all the praise directed at Andy Flower, a fair bit also needs to be directed at Saker, who seems to be doing an outstanding job.

Can't see Simon Jones ever being fit enough to play test match cricket again though.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Difference there that there was obviously a run there. There was never a run here. It was a horrible single and if Hughes does lose his spot, a pretty terrible way to go especially given that he was starting to look fairly settled at the crease.
Yeah, that would be horribly unfair. He's the kind of player who can get big scores and set the match in your favor unlike Twatto.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, I thought the run was on, took a top throw to nail Hughes without which it would have been a cheeky single.

It was just unnecessary.

Ruckus

International Captain
tbh, I thought the run was on, took a top throw to nail Hughes without which it would have been a cheeky single.

It was just unnecessary.
Phew, I dunno bit tight for my liking (err no double entendre intended there). Totally agree it was unnecessary though - I mean they were essentially always batting for a draw... pretty bonehead cricket.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah seriously good work from the photographer there. Could very well be one for the ages, depending on what happens to Ponting - that could literally capture the 'it' moment. Btw nice avatar, whatever makes you happy :laugh: