Page 112 of 172 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2574

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Talking to an old Aussie a couple of days ago and saw it mentioned today in a piece and both suggested that Haddin should be the next captain of Aus.

His point was that he is a good captain and as he is a country boy he would add a toughness to the team that seems to be lacking. I have no idea if any of that is true as I know next to nothing about Haddin but it was interesting to listen to the guy as he a) knew more tham most I talk to about cricket and b) seemed to see the same changes in the Aussie team that I do.

So, my question to those that know more about Haddin than me, is he a realistic option as skipper? and if so, what qualities does he bring?
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-12-2010 at 05:45 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Talking to an old Aussie a couple of days ago and saw it mentioned today in a piece the Haddin should be the next captain of Aus.

His point was that he is a good captain and as he is a country boy he would add a toughness to the team that seems to be lacking. I have no idea if any of that is true as I know next to nothing about Haddin bit it was interesting to listen to the guy as he a) knew more tham most I talk to about cricket and b) seemed to see the same changes in the Aussie team that I do.

So, my question to those that know more about Haddin than me, is he a realistic option as skipper? and if so, what qualities does he bring?
    Out of the ten non-Ponting players in the current eleven, he'd definitely be my pick should Ponting go. I've seen him captain NSW a few times in one day cricket - he's a bit unconventional but you could never accuse him of letting the game drift. I wouldn't say he was perfect tactically but he's definitely a thinking captain, which isn't a quality many would perhaps associate with his character. IIRC, his performance as a batsman improved significantly when he got the captaincy, too.

I will add though that I think there's basically no chance of it ever happening.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 27-12-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Hmm, giving Clarke the captaincy doesn't look the best move to me. Would provide too much continuity in a regime that really needs a shake-up and with Australia's policy of retaining ex-captains, if it all goes wrong you're forced to either deal with it or risk deeply undermining a player that should be a big part of Australian cricket for the next few years. Plus it means retaining him in the ODI side indefinitely.

Might be forced to do it anyway, don't know enough about the other options to offer a real opinion. A couple of years back I'd have wanted it given to Katich but that's not especially feasible anymore. Retaining Ponting until after the World Cup looks the least-bad option from here but it's really only postponing the difficult decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hmm, giving Clarke the captaincy doesn't look the best move to me. Would provide too much continuity in a regime that really needs a shake-up and with Australia's policy of retaining ex-captains, if it all goes wrong you're forced to either deal with it or risk deeply undermining a player that should be a big part of Australian cricket for the next few years. Plus it means retaining him in the ODI side indefinitely.

Might be forced to do it anyway, don't know enough about the other options to offer a real opinion. A couple of years back I'd have wanted it given to Katich but that's not especially feasible anymore. Retaining Ponting until after the World Cup looks the least-bad option from here but it's really only postponing the difficult decision.
    Just making sure - but you know my post was about Haddin and not Clarke, right?

Yeah I'd started typing it before you posted.

The merit of making Clarke captain is what's relevant, unfortunately..

I wonder what Watson would be like as captaincy material. Just in terms of an image, Watson looks like a captain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah I'd started typing it before you posted.

The merit of making Clarke captain is what's relevant, unfortunately..
    Not relevant to the question I asked though

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Out of the ten non-Ponting players in the current eleven, he'd definitely be my pick should Ponting go. I've seen him captain NSW a few times in one day cricket - he's a bit unconventional but you could never accuse him of letting the game drift. I wouldn't say he was perfect tactically but he's definitely a thinking captain, which isn't a quality many would perhaps associate with his character. IIRC, his performance as a batsman improved significantly when he got the captaincy, too.

I will add though that I think there's basically no chance of it ever happening.
    Of course not. His merits as a captain are irrelevant. He's not the best young batsman in the side, and so cannot be captain.

There are rules for this sort of thing, you know.

And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Not relevant to the question I asked though
    But it's related.. whether something is a good decision or not is 50% determined by the alternative.

Haddin bats like an absolute fool in situations where some sensible batting is needed. Sure play your natural game, but if ******** shots is your natural game than you are rubbish. And Haddin isn't rubbish.

Maybe Haddin's game would change if he was given the captaincy, and he'd bat more responsibly ala MS Dhoni. But a change in batting would definitely be necessary.
    Last edited by Jono; 27-12-2010 at 06:37 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah great, pick another bloke who bats like a **** when under the pump.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Spectator
    from pat symcox twitter

Wonder if Trott and Prior are talking a bit of Afrikaans at the wicket!

I see South Africa is putting the Aussies to the sword again. Can Prior make it 4 fifties for the Saffas?

enjoy

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fezzie View Post
    from pat symcox twitter

Wonder if Trott and Prior are talking a bit of Afrikaans at the wicket!

I see South Africa is putting the Aussies to the sword again. Can Prior make it 4 fifties for the Saffas?

enjoy
    *ahem* *watches tumbleweed roll past*

I'm pretty sure Colly will remain for the next test whatever happens, and quite frankly i hope he does. Its just the kind of situation where he has previously flourished and the England staff will certainly think he can produce..."backs-to-the-wall" and all that...

Best case scenario would be us winning this match, then we go to Sydney and skittle 'em, before being put under the pump ourselves, causing good old Colly to produce a coma-inducing high-pressure 100 to put ourselves in a commanding position, signing off from Test cricket in (his) style, before the obligatory Swann 2nd innings 5-fer. Woohoo to my imagination.

Cricket Spectator
    collingwood is just playing for a MBE.
    he knows he doesnt have to do anything to get one...what a player

if he had a year like sachin or amla, he would be named the king.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    He already has an MBE so why the hell would he be playing for one?
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Thread Information