• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Spark

Global Moderator
"It just depends how tough the person is I guess. That's probably the biggest thing with it all," Siddle said when asked about Anderson's side strain.
"If he's tough enough to bowl through it, he does. If not, he misses the game.

Oooh. Spicy.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be much more confident with our batsmen facing Bresnan than Shahzad, tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shazhad is just so inexperienced, though. At least Bresnan has played on the big stage, and with some success.
Shazad might have played only one Test vs Bangladesh, but his skittling of the lower order in that Test was more impressive than anything Bresnan has ever done.

Bresnan's record looks reasonable for a n00b, until you realise he's only faced West Indies and Bangladesh.

JBH001

International Regular
What's the Shahzad like? I take it he is a promising and real quick? I saw a bit of Bresnan when England toured Bangladesh (I was in SL at the time) and wasn't all that impressed. He seems just an honest trier and that only gets you so far for so long.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's the Shahzad like? I take it he is a promising and real quick? I saw a bit of Bresnan when England toured Bangladesh (I was in SL at the time) and wasn't all that impressed. He seems just an honest trier and that only gets you so far for so long.
No doubt in my mind Shahzad is already the better bowler. Not absolutely express, but possessed of the sort of Simon Jones/Shane Bond, slippery, swingy kind of pace. Bowls high 80s/low 90s regularly. Probably our quickest bowler in the squad. Not tall (well, as fast bowlers go) so bowls a wicket-to-wicket line and threatens the stumps a lot.

Reverses the old ball and shapes his deliveries nicely back into left handers before the ball leaves them; with Hussey proved a massive pain in the aris this could be crucial.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Shazad might have played only one Test vs Bangladesh, but his skittling of the lower order in that Test was more impressive than anything Bresnan has ever done.

Bresnan's record looks reasonable for a n00b, until you realise he's only faced West Indies and Bangladesh.
Hmm, I dunno, I know Austraia's batting is pretty rubbish atm, but just because Shazhad bowled well at Bangladesh's tail... He was also rubbish in his first spell against the top order iirc.

I don't dispute that Shazhad is the better long term prospect, I just think Bresnan is a more reliable pick for a match starting this week.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't seem to lack confidence either, and good for a few runs - I think he's a great prospect, his county of origin notwithstanding

Julian87

State Captain
No doubt in my mind Shahzad is already the better bowler. Not absolutely express, but possessed of the sort of Simon Jones/Shane Bond, slippery, swingy kind of pace. Bowls high 80s/low 90s regularly. Probably our quickest bowler in the squad. Not tall (well, as fast bowlers go) so bowls a wicket-to-wicket line and threatens the stumps a lot.
Looks quite a bit short of Shane Bond's heat IMO.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Some people snigger at the supposedly illusory concept of "momentum" but I have to admit I'm pessimistic about our chances of bouncing back on Boxing Day, in front of 90,000 pissed up convicts, from the old-style whipping we received at Perth. I know that this England team is capable of bouncing back, they've done it a number of times before, and that this Aussie team is every bit as inconsistent as we are, but somehow it doesn't feel likely atm.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Just wondering if Greg Chappell is going to rest or rotate Harris or Johnson for this Test, considering his explanation for Johnson's Adelaide ommission. lol

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Some people snigger at the supposedly illusory concept of "momentum" but I have to admit I'm pessimistic about our chances of bouncing back on Boxing Day, in front of 90,000 pissed up convicts, from the old-style whipping we received at Perth. I know that this England team is capable of bouncing back, they've done it a number of times before, and that this Aussie team is every bit as inconsistent as we are, but somehow it doesn't feel likely atm.
How many Aussies were confident of the comeback they'd make from Adelaide though?