Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Australia?

still scratching around in the same old hole

What happened to Australia?

Not so much to do with the play or success but to do with what the players look like and their attitude. Growing up, Australian cricketers looked and acted like men against boys. Physically intimidating and possessing of fabled mental toughness, they looked a different breed to the boyish Englishmen.

What happened in Australia? Genuine question, has there been a pussification of the nation?

This generation seems very different in both look and outlook to the previous couple. It doesn’t appear to be just about ability.

Waugh had the, oft described, 'gunslinger eyes', Boon and Border wouldn't back down from a tidal wave, Merv Hughes scared batsmen so much that they ignored the fact he bowled at 75 mph, Langer looked like a man ready to go over the top to bayonet the Hun, Hayden was built like the Hulk, Warne had the career building arrogance that overwhelmed weaker opponents, McGrath shot pigs for fun, and Dean Jones was willing to watch himself waste away to an early death in the pursuit of runs. I could go on.

Now there are fragile fast bowlers that retire or flounce (Tait and Johnson), Clarke looks like a 12 yr old boy or an anorexic lesbian, Watson is scared of ghosts, Bollinger has his own image issues, Hughes looks like a trainee school teacher and the straw that broke the donkeys back was watching Smith come out to bat today.

He looked like Billy Bunter without the glasses. Possibly the least intimidating thing I’ve seen on a cricket field in quite a while.

Certainly the players are not as good as before but they have lost their edge especially when playing against guys like Tremlett who Brumby correctly describes as looking like a big, intimidating unit.

I’m not having a go at Australia as I have long admired their attitude, determination and how that is all packaged together. Now it seems the only reason to share a drink with them would be to see their glamorous other halves.

Are there greater changes at work in Australian life and *s******s* culture to have made such a change in attitude, aggression and, dare I say it, manliness? What happened?

My comments are as an outsider looking in and I am genuinely interested if forces are at play or whether this isn't what it may appear.
    Last edited by Goughy; 16-12-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Michael Clarke, bringing the emo culture into the Australian FIrst XI....can't wait till he's captian.

Bun
    Banned

No one was complaining about Clarke's emo culture in 2008 when he was gunning it.

I hate Clarkeeeeeeeey, but let's not analyse players on their looks FFS.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

vcs
    Last time I checked, it was still there somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere....

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    No one was complaining about Clarke's emo culture in 2008 when he was gunning it.

Looks, attitude and presence play a huge role in success.

I have watched England teams with an unhealthy proportion of nice looking boys present zero intimidation to the 'scary' West Indians and the 'tough looking' Aussies. Looks cannot be downplayed. Even if it doesnt effect your own game (though some mongrel goes a long way) it impacts how others deal with you and play against you.
    Last edited by Goughy; 16-12-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

AWTA.z

"Boost is the secret of my energy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

I think, playing in a losing team with no confidence does that to you and the fact when you look around the changing room does not fill you with that inner belief, especially for guys like Ponting.

Bun
    Banned
    I agree.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Haha, is this the 'muscular cricket' theory all over again?

And hasn't anyone heard KP or Tendulkar talk before?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Maybe the latter two, but you've got to be kidding me that looks play much of a role in success. You can't say Glenn Mcgrath has an intimidating appearance...

The attitude is the same as ever imo. Smith actually looks to have a very determined, no no-nonsense approach to cricket. Hughes has been described by Langer as a fighter. Then there are plenty of others out there who have an intimidating physical presence. Ryan Harris is an obvious example that comes to mind.

Bun
    Banned
    Malcolm Marshall was never physically intimidating

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post

And hasn't anyone heard KP or Tendulkar talk before?
    >>
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    "Boost is the secret of my energy"

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

I have watched England teams with an unhealthy proportion of nice looking boys present zero intimidation to the 'scary' West Indians and the 'tough looking' Aussies. Looks cannot be downplayed. Even if it doesnt effect your own game (though some mongrel goes a long way) it impacts how others deal with you and play against you.
    Yeah I bet Sachin and Dravid looked mean and tough when they first started. Would have had players shaking in their boots.

That Anil Kumble in his scientist glasses too

Gilly too, what a tough nut. Those ears!

"You want a piece of me mother****ers."

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information