• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to Australia?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You speak of these things as if they are mutually exclusive to one another, when in reality looks, attitude and confidence are all quite closely knit imo. I'm not suggesting that anyone's looks have any impact whatsoever in terms of their pure ability to master a certain skill set, but it may have a considerable influence on how one might apply oneself to a particular task etc... Though not strictly related to cricket, it's probably no coincidence that the people in the world who get the most successful or well paid jobs are those who are well turned out and have a certain presence. Presence is not something you can practice as such for mine, it's something you develop through your own confidence, which in turn is impacted upon massively by your image, how you perceive yourself and how you are perceived by others. As I say, it's not likely to have any impact whatsoever on your own ability per se (and I don't think Goughy was ever actually suggesting it was btw), but how you come across to others can drastically influence your success, and that can be said in any context, not just a sporting one.
Missing the point.

He posted a picture of a young Steve Smith FFS. Got nothing to do with aura or presence. He just made fun of the kid's looks.

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In the past 15 years Australian rules football has gone from semi-professional to the down under equivalent of the EPL. If you are a sporting prodigy in Australia, footie recruiters will get to you before any other sport. When you consider that their kids generally play both cricket and football growing up, with the elite talents usually being good at both, I think it explains a lot. I have no doubt looking at the participation numbers, and some of the stories about Alex Keath, Shane Warne etc that they have lost a good few stars to their football.

It might sound silly but I saw a video on youtube of a couple of footie players bowling to Ricky Ponting about four years ago on a tv show; one of them was a huge man, bowled utterly express pace and had him jumping about a foot into the air to defend a short one, the other guy knocked him over twice consecutively and looked pretty freaking quick himself. Ricky Ponting was in his prime back then; it was impressive.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Missing the point.

He posted a picture of a young Steve Smith FFS. Got nothing to do with aura or presence. He just made fun of the kid's looks.
Are you therefore suggesting that Steve Smith conveys a strong aura or presence?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, because he's currently out of his league. Not because he has freckles.

I do believe though that Ferguson, who spikes his hair and looks like a mumma's boy, gave of an aura of "I belong here" when he first played international cricket.

He had the talent and the confidence.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, I can't really comment on Ferguson, as I've scarcely seen anything of him.

In the case of Smith, because cricket is a global game and the coverage is so widespread, everyone who is interested in knowing can find out his record, his capabilities, and work out a rough assessment of what his general ability is like. However, let's say your playing local cricket for your club side or whatever at a weekend, and on the opposition team there's a player who you have never played against before, or even seen before for that matter. If he's clean cut, about 6ft tall, carries himself with a purpose and just generally looks the part, you're going to have a greater expectation of him than say someone who looks ungainly, overweight, and gives the impression of being completely aloof. It is an undeniable fact. Obviously this doesn't have any discernable impact on this person's ability whatsoever, but how he is perceived by others can have a telling influence on how things proceed. As I previously mentioned, it happens in all aspects of life. For example if you are sitting waiting for a seminar or an important public speech and the guy giving it shows up looking immaculate in a tailored suit (prior to this you know scarcely anything about him) you're much more likely to think "oh yeah this guy is clearly on the money" and give him your attention and respect than if he showed up in ripped jeans and with a scruffy beard. I'm not really interested in whether this is right or wrong, but this is the case more often than not. In a sporting sense obviously you can build a reputation for yourself, and thus command the respect and build a presence that way, Warney and McGrath are both excellent examples of how you don't need to be physically imposing or whatever. But it is a folly to suggest appearance doesn't play a part in things like this at least some of the time.

Dissector

International Debutant
Smith looking good for a 50 after Johnson and Watson come good. This has to be the worst-timed thread in the history of CC.:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Going to start a thread "What happened to England" and post photos of Cook, Bell etc.

Long are the days when they had real men like Botham and Gooch etc.

Dissector

International Debutant
And of course Smith departs just after I write that post. Still it's hard to see how England can save this test with more than two days left.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And of course Smith departs just after I write that post. Still it's hard to see how England can save this test with more than two days left.
WACA traditionally gets flatter over time and we botched in 2008 and almost 2009.

Dissector

International Debutant
Wow and just as I wrote off England these wickets make things interesting again. If they can wrap up the tail and restrict the target to below 400 they have a real chance. Time is not an issue and as mentioned the Perth wicket flattens out over time.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
It might sound silly but I saw a video on youtube of a couple of footie players bowling to Ricky Ponting about four years ago on a tv show; one of them was a huge man, bowled utterly express pace and had him jumping about a foot into the air to defend a short one, the other guy knocked him over twice consecutively and looked pretty freaking quick himself. Ricky Ponting was in his prime back then; it was impressive.
I believe it was Johnathan Brown that was bowling the heat. You have to note that Ponting had no padding other than gloves I believe.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
In the past 15 years Australian rules football has gone from semi-professional to the down under equivalent of the EPL. If you are a sporting prodigy in Australia, footie recruiters will get to you before any other sport. When you consider that their kids generally play both cricket and football growing up, with the elite talents usually being good at both, I think it explains a lot. I have no doubt looking at the participation numbers, and some of the stories about Alex Keath, Shane Warne etc that they have lost a good few stars to their football.

All this really does is explain why NSW produces way better cricketers than Victoria :ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow and just as I wrote off England these wickets make things interesting again. If they can wrap up the tail and restrict the target to below 400 they have a real chance. Time is not an issue and as mentioned the Perth wicket flattens out over time.
Hmmm...