Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    People say Australians have tall poppy syndrome, but I've seen nothing to suggest the rest of the world doesn't have it in equal amounts.
    Australians say Australians have tall poppy syndrome. Believe me, it's always been universal.

We've gotten far too funky.

It starts at the top.

Listen to a Flower v Nielsen press conference.

So revealing.

One is obsessed with sounding funky/corporate/cutting edge, the other is cricket-focussed/common sense.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Australians say Australians have tall poppy syndrome. Believe me, it's always been universal.
    That's rubbish - nobody supports their heroes more than Australia.

If anything, we put sportsmen/famous people on too much of a pedestal.

Wow. Finally decided to give this thread a read, and people are debating how what you look like affects your game? Seriously? Unbe-****ing-lievable.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    That's rubbish - nobody supports their heroes more than Australia.

If anything, we put sportsmen/famous people on too much of a pedestal.
    It's not rubbish. I've met a huge amount of Australians that say they hate the Australian cricket team because it's always winning, that they're arrogant assholes. These are people that enjoy circket for the most part, but also the average joe who doesn't even follow the game that closely. We rip high achievers down in the media. (see NRL "scandals", political scandals etc...)
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Wow. Finally decided to give this thread a read, and people are debating how what you look like affects your game? Seriously? Unbe-****ing-lievable.
    I absolutely think it does. I've played a fair bit of cricket and it's certainly a lot harder to play against someone who is physically intimidating than someone who isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    Did they knock you back when you asked
    Ah see, you've misinterpreted what I said I think.

I'm saying they're pretty boys is all. As much as Clarke, Lee, Johnson et al.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

It's not rubbish. I've met a huge amount of Australians that say they hate the Australian cricket team because it's always winning, that they're arrogant assholes. These are people that enjoy circket for the most part, but also the average joe who doesn't even follow the game that closely. We rip high achievers down in the media. (see NRL "scandals", political scandals etc...)
    lol scandals yes....scandals is when they've done something wrong - that's called having standards mate.

and how does 'the media' reflect the average Aussie?

And how is Warnie, Gilly, Hackett, Kieren Perkins, Susie O'Neil (and many other sporting stars and achievers) still raking in millions if everyone wants to tear them down?

Raking it in because they have enormous public goodwill - rather than people wanting to tear them down.
    Last edited by howardj; 16-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It actually affects whether you get picked or not, from the POV of fitness. Slightly different point tothe OP but it's true.

I dare say someone like Boon wouldn't get picked these days, you know. Not "fit" enough and all, even though he'd be scoring thousands in the Shield year after year. What a player he was.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I absolutely think it does. I've played a fair bit of cricket and it's certainly a lot harder to play against someone who is physically intimidating than someone who isn't.
    If they're spraying it all over the shop it doesn't make much of a difference IMO. Success goes hand in hand with intimidation
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    No because the idea that Bell is a 'softcock' has always been something of a fallacy
    Lol'd
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    lol scandals yes....scandals is when they've done something wrong - that's called having standards mate.

and how does 'the media' reflect the average Aussie?

And how is Warnie, Gilly, Hackett, Kieren Perkins, Susie O'Neil (and many other sporting stars and achievers) still raking in millions if everyone wants to tear them down?

Raking it in because they have enormous public goodwill - rather than people wanting to tear them down.
    There's scandals and then there is scandals. Beating up your girlfriend and copping a lick from a dog isn't the kind of scandal I'm talking about. Many of the media beat ups are about irrelevant rubbish that belongs in a gossip column if anywhere.

The media reflects our society (or at least parts of it) because the public is paying money to read what they're saying. As much as I hate the Terrorgraph there's no doubt it's a popular paper because it gives many people what they want. Tabloid papers exist purely because it's in our nature as humans to enjoy watching people fall, and the bigger they are...

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Doesn't explain the rise and rise of Warne then does it - Though I suspect it'd be different if we were still dominating test cricket like we should be

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Doesn't explain the rise and rise of Warne then does it - Though I suspect it'd be different if we were still dominating test cricket like we should be
    Actually the current prominence of Warne in comparison to someone like Susie O'Neil (who?) does more to prove it. Warne is popular because of his off field exploits. We like having him in the limelight because he does interesting things, and in the back of our minds we know there's a pretty fair chance he'll screw up some time in the future and we want to watch it. Given the chance we'll turn on him like we do any celebrity who makes an error in judgement.

Lets face it, he was kept around the cricket team because he was a once in a lifetime genius with the ball. Andrew Sydmonds got one fishing trip and some booze and he became persona non gratia.

Actually the current prominence of Warne in comparison to someone like Susie O'Neil (who?) does more to prove it. Warne is popular because of his off field exploits. We like having him in the limelight because he does interesting things, and in the back of our minds we know there's a pretty fair chance he'll screw up some time in the future and we want to watch it. Given the chance we'll turn on him like we do any celebrity who makes an error in judgement.

Lets face it, he was kept around the cricket team because he was a once in a lifetime genius with the ball. Andrew Sydmonds got one fishing trip and some booze and he became persona non gratia.
    Agreed.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information