• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to Australia?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Moneyball is awesome. Love that book.

But "the look" isn't what Goughy was suggesting tbf. I would argue that at school level Michael Clarke would have stood out as "the Golden Boy" look, i.e. this guy is going to be a star. He still looked like a pansy.

Yet alternatively Chris Gayle when young would have had the "powerhouse" look. This guys is going to absolutely dominate opposition teams.

Both had looks that stood out. Daresay most would take pansy Clarke over manly Gayle.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know "the look" described in Moneyball isn't quite the same as the one Goughy would go for but the concept's pretty similar.

One thing that might be a bit of a difference between the two is that "muscular cricket" ties in with fielding whereas "the look" doesn't. I definitely think fielding's an underappreciated part of the game, and the bigger, fitter, better all-round athletes in cricket are almost always better fielders. It's been an area where Australia have, somewhat depressingly from a neutral perspective, really let themselves go.

If I was a selector the biggest difference I'd make would probably be leaving out poor catchers altogether almost regardless of their run-scoring ability- in the short-run it might hurt the team's chances of winning the next match but in the long run it could well make a big improvement because players up and down the country would work like dogs on their catching, knowing that without it they'd have no chance of making the test side. A side-effect of such a policy might well be seeing a lot more tough-looking, athletic cricketers in test cricket.

Uppercut

It's a broad trend rather than a hard-and-fast rule, obviously. There'll always be exceptions, and while they don't look the toughest they still fit his idea of an athletic, competitive-looking player much better than Sourav Ganguly and Mohammad Yousuf.

Uppercut

Mohammad Kaif.
On the subject, I really wouldn't be up for picking players based on exceptional fielding- I'd just be dropping some perfectly decent batsmen and bowlers purely on the grounds of exceptionally bad catching. There should be a well-defined lower limit with very few exceptions, and anything beyond that is normally just a healthy bonus.

vcs

It's all subjective. No one in his right mind is going to leave out Imran Khan, even if he was Australian, just because he didn't meet some minimum fielding benchmark.

BTW, Kaif was a highly, highly overrated fielder. Dropped so many catches.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Didn't suggest he was exceptional, just wanted to dismiss the notion of the fielder stereotypical 'look' that's being touted.

vcs

Didn't suggest he was exceptional, just wanted to dismiss the notion of the fielder stereotypical 'look' that's being touted.
Yeah, agree. Mark Taylor and Allan Border were also great fielders without looking naturally athletic.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, also reed thin Ajit Agarkar has never dropped an outfield catch or speared in a poor return that I know of.

Xuhaib

International Coach
SA has had some of the toughest looking blokes Smith,Kallis,Boucher, Donald yet time and again when it has come to crunch they **** their pants.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
This was sarcastic, yeah?
no really maybe was harsh on Smith since he does stand up to be counted during difficult times but time and again you see these so called tough blokes bottling a big game which they should have won.

Burgey

Oh yeah I agreed with that but I just didn't think those blokes "look tough" in the context of this thread :)