• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2010/11 Ashes statistical quiddities

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swann with 11 wickets at 38.63 so far. Third highest wicket taker (behind Finn and Anderson) at the moment, though. What would the bloke have to end up with to claim this as a successful tour down under?
Bumping this.

Ended the series with 15 wickets at 39.8. Thoughts?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The Aussies' second innings scores were higher than their first innings scores in every Test, with the sole exception of the Gabba, where their second innings was left uncompleted at 107-1.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is this the first time ever that an Australian top 4 has gone through a 5 match series without a century?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bumping this.

Hard to say. I'm sure he would have liked some more wickets but with the seamers on fire, he had a different role which he performed quite well.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bumping this.

Economical partnership bowling, took a five-for on the only helpful deck. Done his job. I bet his economy would be stunning without Hussey.

Probably one very good game, two good and two ordinary. A decent tour by anyone's standards.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bumping this.

Slightly disappointing overall figures, but he can be largely satisfied with his work. Took 5 and bowled us to victory on the one deck which gave him assistance, and while I'd have liked him to take more wickets, you can't really argue with his economy. He was never going to be a crucial bowler if we were to win the series, he's supported the quicks superbly in the 3 Tests we did win.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bumping this.

Figures don't tell the full story IMO. As I said when you asked the question originally, for him to have had a successful tour all that was needed was England to have won the series.

For the record I expected him to get around 18 wickets and probably make 2 match-winning or turning spells.

He only got the one in the end but doubt he'll be complaining about it.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Conversely, England's overall batting average of 48.26 is currently the best they have ever got in a series down under, topping the 43.18 they managed in 1928/9.

The only touring team to have bettered this in a series in Australia is India, who averaged 62.46 in 1985/6 and 49.22 in 2003/4.

During Australia's dominant home period of 1993-2008, touring teams only scored an overall batting average of 26.92, with India the only team to get above 30 runs per wicket. Australia's own home batting average during this period was 44.50.
Final standings here:
England 51.14
Australia 29.23 (worst since 1998/9)