• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael "Frosty" Beer

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rightio, may as well start a thread based on him, maybe keep some of the discussion in the Match thread about the match.

Have played quite a bit of cricket against Beery. He was stuck behind McGain and Jon Holland here in Victoria, but had three or four huge grade seasons before WA approached him. He'd been given a number of 2nd XI games for Victoria, but hadn't done too well.

He's not a huge spinner of the ball, he has tended to get most of his wickets in grade cricket with sliders and quicker balls; LBWs and bowled plenty of the time. Very yappy and confident guy.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has to be in contention for title of "Most Undeserving Test Cricketer in History"

Given that I'm not amongst the 8 people who have seen him bowl at fc level, I cant comment any further

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I have only watched him bowl for one full day at the MCG. He kept a tight line throughout, but never looked a threat on a Day 4 wicket. He did drag the odd delivery short and was constantly cut away.

Not the best first impression. I am staggered that after a few average games for WA he is now considered the best spinner in the country.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So he's another ****ter version of Hauritz? (aside from the confident guy bit)

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
**** me.

Great way to start the day. I get up all excited about the prospect of the selectors having the opportunity and will to make some bold selections for the text test.

Never said **** so many times this early in the morning.

Good to know the selectors enjoy Jack Daniels with their cornflakes...muppets.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Peter Taylor the precedent? As I understand he was basically pulled out of Sydney grade cricket.

Whilst one enjoys the schadenfreude and all, there is a part of me that doesn't like seeing baggy greens tossed about like confetti too.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Assumed someone was taking the piss when I saw this thread on the list. Who knows, he might do well. All very odd though.

I saw Hildich said that left arm spin is what the selectors want in the long term. Why is that?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Has to be in contention for title of "Most Undeserving Test Cricketer in History"

Given that I'm not amongst the 8 people who have seen him bowl at fc level, I cant comment any further
Alongside the guy he just replaced.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
**** me.

Great way to start the day. I get up all excited about the prospect of the selectors having the opportunity and will to make some bold selections for the text test.

Never said **** so many times this early in the morning.

Good to know the selectors enjoy Jack Daniels with their cornflakes...muppets.
:laugh:
Alongside the guy he just replaced.
Indeed

andyc

The one redeeming feature about Doherty's selection was that he had been bowling well in OD cricket and returned good figures in his ODI debut, as well as recently taking a 5-fer in the Shield. Beer on the other hand has absolutely nothing, not even a 4 wicket haul FFS.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Hauritz was picked from grade cricket to play tests without a FC 5 for, now he has 2 test 5 fors and a more this year in the shield

benchmark00

The one redeeming feature about Doherty's selection was that he had been bowling well in OD cricket and returned good figures in his ODI debut, as well as recently taking a 5-fer in the Shield. Beer on the other hand has absolutely nothing, not even a 4 wicket haul FFS.
You're very reliant on stats aren't you?

Have you watched Beer bowl?

I'm not defending his decision, as I've only seen him bowl for a little bit once, but judging your outrage purely on stats is pretty one dimensional imo.

Rant0r

International 12th Man

I'm not defending his decision, as I've only seen him bowl for a little bit once, but judging your outrage purely on stats is pretty one dimensional imo.
There's stats and there's stats. Beer hasn't had enough opportunity to prove YET that he's good enough, the selectors on the other hand feel otherwise. Doherty on the other hand has had countless FC games to prove he is not, despite the fact that he clearly rates himself.

But then Krejza and Hauritz are clearly better spinners with poor First Class records, although Hauritza has gone some way to improve that this year

andyc

Yeah, happy to concede that. I definitely haven't watched him bowl, and so the only way to judge him really is from looking at how he's gone this season, and it's clear that the reasons giving by the selectors for picking him - that he's done well this season and he's a local - don't add up when you look at his figures. Just don't see much reasoning behind his selection, other than Shane Warne saying something good about him one time.

benchmark00

There's stats and there's stats. Beer hasn't had enough opportunity to prove YET that he's good enough, the selectors on the other hand feel otherwise. Doherty on the other hand has had countless FC games to prove he is not, despite the fact that he clearly rates himself.

But then Krejza and Hauritz are clearly better spinners with poor First Class records, although Hauritza has gone some way to improve that this year
The selectors have obviously selected Beer by looking at him play and liking what they see. I certainly wouldn't have done the same, however I've seen SFA of him, whereas they, presumably, have had a few good looks at him and liked his game.

Seeing him live > Looking at his cricinfo page and passing judgment.