• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael "Frosty" Beer

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thing is, he - like everyone else we've picked - was arguably the best available but it was still only based on a punt on a very small sample size. Casson had half a good season. He'd actually done that before, incidentally, before returning to the mean of mediocrity in Shield cricket and averaging 40+. I'm not saying there was anyone better but that's the basis of my point - all the spinners in Shield cricket have basically proven they aren't good enough yet, so they've picked someone from outside Shield cricket (until this season anyway). It's flawed logic because the blokes playing Shield cricket were selected ahead of Beer, but (last season anyway) this was ironically on Cricket Australia say-so.

I think it's ridiculous Hauritz was dropped and I think it's even more ridiculous that Beer was preferred to O'Keefe but I was just trying to find some rationale beyond "well Warne rates him."
Yeah, but unlike the others I don't think Casson was picked for that tour with the intention of playing Tests for Australia. It seemed to be a "this guy's done ok for NSW, let's get him involved with the squad and working with MacGill to see if he might be a long term option once MacGill retires" selection. Which compared to the selections of White, Krezja, Hauritz, Doherty and Beer, actually has a little bit going for it in terms of long term selection and logic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Against that tho the one time a post-Warne twirler was selected on his FC form it was quite possibly the worst test debut in living memory.

Probz what kept O'Keefe outta the team, tbh. :ph34r:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Beer left out as a result of the pitch not being super dry.
Memo to selectors: It's B-e-e-r with 'two e's'.

benchmark00

Beer takes pot shot at selectors
Beer should be selected schooner rather than later
Beer is **** at spin bowling.

vcs

Beer watches helplessly from the sidelines as punch-drunk Aussies totter under English blows..