Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael "Frosty" Beer

Hilditch reckons that there's a huge gap between the Shield and Test cricket now, so he wouldn't let Johnson go back to WA, so what are we supposed to gauge players on ? Net Form ? Now they want to get rid of the Shield Final in favour of more t20... *shakes head*

And to think they sacked Merv

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Has to be in contention for title of "Most Undeserving Test Cricketer in History"

Given that I'm not amongst the 8 people who have seen him bowl at fc level, I cant comment any further
    Since Xavier Doherty?

Bless him, he might not get to keep his one achievement for long...

Lol @ that Chris Simpson comment earlier by the way

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Rightio, may as well start a thread based on him, maybe keep some of the discussion in the Match thread about the match.

Have played quite a bit of cricket against Beery. He was stuck behind McGain and Jon Holland here in Victoria, but had three or four huge grade seasons before WA approached him. He'd been given a number of 2nd XI games for Victoria, but hadn't done too well.

He's not a huge spinner of the ball, he has tended to get most of his wickets in grade cricket with sliders and quicker balls; LBWs and bowled plenty of the time. Very yappy and confident guy.
    Sounds like we have Doherty 2.0 on our hands here, pretty much the same things were said about him before Brisbane.
    Anyways agree completly with what Noble one said, also just read that Hilditch believes that left arm orthodox is the way forward not only for the Ashes but also for the future, which pretty much means mean likes of Hauritz, Cullens, Boyce, Krezja should look for some other job.....

I hope Jack is still taking the sport seriously might get a test cap at Sydney.

I don't get it.You pick a spinner for variety when there isn't much in quality between the spinner and a pacer above whom the spinner is being picked.

I simply don't buy the argument that Beer is close to as good a bowler as Johnson is. Johnson for being terrible for one match certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped, particularly for Micheal Beer.It's pretty easy to forget that the man has about 170 wickets in about 40 games.

I don't know that much about the Aussie FC set-up but I assume there are atleast 5-10 better FC bowlers than Beer in the country.

FMD, This is like the BCCI picking Granika Prasad for the SA tour because Sachin makes a passing comment about him having talent.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Rant0r View Post
    Hilditch reckons that there's a huge gap between the Shield and Test cricket now, so he wouldn't let Johnson go back to WA, so what are we supposed to gauge players on ? Net Form ? Now they want to get rid of the Shield Final in favour of more t20... *shakes head*

And to think they sacked Merv
    The gap is only going to get wider if this nonsense isn't stopped, I mean a young athlete would hardly see any future for himself in cricket if this is how future Australian sides keep getting picked.

State contracts help that, but sometimes they hinder as well. Young blokes work to get their contract then do the minimum possible to keep it, see Cosgrove and Pomersbach, lost talents

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Heard this guy knows the pitch much better at Perth....not sure how good he is though.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Not sure how, considering he's only been living in the state for 6 months, another wonderful justification for selection by Hilditch

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    The one redeeming feature about Doherty's selection was that he had been bowling well in OD cricket and returned good figures in his ODI debut, as well as recently taking a 5-fer in the Shield. Beer on the other hand has absolutely nothing, not even a 4 wicket haul FFS.
    AWTA

The worst thing is the fact that Hilditch says a SLA is the way to go and O'Keefe is totally ignored.

Seems strange to me from afar, some of these selections are as bizarre as what we used to have to put up with in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Heard this guy knows the pitch much better at Perth....not sure how good he is though.
    He averages more in Perth than he does in his career and he'd been playing cricket grade in Melbourne up until this season.

If you were going to pick a spinner because of local knowledge then it'd have to be North.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I was never impressed with Nathan Hauritz as a spin bowler, but it's a real shame that the selections went with Beer, instead of him. Beer might do well, but his experience worries me. At least Hauritz has some test experience.

even though Nathan was poor in India but his performances in the last Ashes and last home summer surely meant he should have been starting atleast the first 3 tests.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Heck of a Hail Mary, it really is. I've never seen the boy bowl, but the selection does look rather a desperate one.

At the start of the series Australia named an unnecessarily bloated (IIRC) 17 man squad, of of whom was Hauritz. Hauritz was overlooked for Doherty (also a punt, but one at least based on some form in internationals, albeit limited overs) but goes away, performs with bat and ball and now sees another bowler, one not named in the original inflated squad, named ahead of him.

If I was Doogie I'd wonder what I'd done, tbh. One might also wonder why an SLA bowler who played second fiddle to Holland at Vic and was overlooked for O'Keefe as recently as the Oz "A" fixture is now a better prospect than either.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information