• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne is 6/1 for an Ashes comeback!

davidgdafter

Cricket Spectator
This Warne comeback talk is a complete load of bollocks. Too many people living on past glories.

People need to face up to the fact that it's a transition period for the Australian team. No sports team can sustain a period of dominance indefinitely.....just look at the West Indies now for example.

It's unfortunate for Australia that the Ashes series at home has came around when the team is unsettled, however Australia have destroyed a fair amount of teams going through exactly the same upheaval.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently over $4000 has already been raised in a come back Warnie fund...so optimistic haha. According to Warne's twitter he is in, or about to go to, England now so I don't think it's gonna happen. Although, maybe he is so good he doesn't need to practice :cool:
Yeah, Aggers said he was on a plane to England this morning. It's not going to happen, and Bell won't be scared :p

simmy

International Regular
This Warne comeback talk is a complete load of bollocks. Too many people living on past glories.

People need to face up to the fact that it's a transition period for the Australian team. No sports team can sustain a period of dominance indefinitely.....just look at the West Indies now for example.

It's unfortunate for Australia that the Ashes series at home has came around when the team is unsettled, however Australia have destroyed a fair amount of teams going through exactly the same upheaval.
Chill out mate, just a bit of fun

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have found this all quite funny with some people taking it far too seriously. It might actually help the Aussies as it is deflecting attention from the fact they aren't as good as they used to be.

vcs

With Australia, everything could click into gear in the next Test and they could win it by a big margin, just like they did in Headingley in '09. They just don't seem to be able to replicate that consistently over the course of a series these days.

flibbertyjibber

With Australia, everything could click into gear in the next Test and they could win it by a big margin, just like they did in Headingley in '09. They just don't seem to be able to replicate that consistently over the course of a series these days.
AWTA - but only if they recall Johnson. He is the only bowler they have i fear could do damage to us and that is because the guy is so unpredictable.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
OMG. Could you imagine the crowd @ Boxing Day Test? Easily get a full capacity 100,000 people.

I'll wake up now.8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
**** me dead, I've never understood this. Every time an Aussie spinner battles, these 'bring back Warne' cries grow, and it gets bloody tedious and predictable. The bloke's retired and not coming back; get over it and move on.
In all fairness the great man himself could nip it in the bud by saying just that but he's failed to do so &, being the shrewd media manipulator he seems to be, must be aware this will only encourage a snowballing groundswell (mixed metaphors ftw) of support.

It might just be that he likes the spotlight (I doubt many would argue he doesn't) but I also suspect the idea of Shane Keith Warne riding to Australia's rescue in her darkest hour as her standard barer to boot appeals to his sportsman's ego more than slightly. Punter lies dead and vanquished, the flag passes to the once and always hammer of the poms.

Unlikely still but, to quote Warne himself, "never say never".

Ruckus

International Captain
Peculiar comment off Damien Martyn's twitter:

"Ch9 and Cricket Aust hold talks re Warne / well so I heard from a source !!"

I assume that's got to do with him having a commentary contract, so does that mean people have actually been discussing this as a real option?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
This would be insanely amazing.

That said, from Australia's point of view, its not what they want.

They need a young unknown to come in and save the series, not a 41 year old.

benchmark00

In all fairness the great man himself could nip it in the bud by saying just that but he's failed to do so &, being the shrewd media manipulator he seems to be, must be aware this will only encourage a snowballing groundswell (mixed metaphors ftw) of support.

It might just be that he likes the spotlight (I doubt many would argue he doesn't) but I also suspect the idea of Shane Keith Warne riding to Australia's rescue in her darkest hour as her standard barer to boot appeals to his sportsman's ego more than slightly. Punter lies dead and vanquished, the flag passes to the once and always hammer of the poms.

Unlikely still but, to quote Warne himself, "never say never".
Warne, as he always has been, is a self indulgent ****. The fact that he has refused to put a complete line through it proves that he loves the sound of his name a little too much.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
All I could think when I saw the thread title was "I'm glad I didn't put money on that."

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've just realised there is a precedent for this - in 1924, when he was 42, South Africa's leg spinning all rounder Aubrey Faulkner was recalled for a Test match three years after his last first class game

In an innings defeat he scored 25 and 12 and took 0-87 so not a conspicuous success

Ruckus

International Captain
I've just realised there is a precedent for this - in 1924, when he was 42, South Africa's leg spinning all rounder Aubrey Faulkner was recalled for a Test match three years after his last first class game

In an innings defeat he scored 25 and 12 and took 0-87 so not a conspicuous success
ha, bet he felt good in his retirement after that...