• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne is 6/1 for an Ashes comeback!

Julian87

State Captain
Had a drunken phone call at 1.30 AM from Bob Cribb telling me how he's wishing this comes true and how he thinks it is a fantastic idea.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine the reception he'd get from the Australian public if he did.

Obviously he wouldn't be the same as he used to be, but wow, Warne bowling again would be worthit, simply for the entertainment factor which would be absolutely amazing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Might help his TV show ratings.

Still think it'd end up more like Tony Lockett's comeback than anything else.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Had a drunken phone call at 1.30 AM from Bob Cribb telling me how he's wishing this comes true and how he thinks it is a fantastic idea.
:laugh:

Meh, it's not even that I think it's a terrible idea as such. I'd definitely back him to outbowl the other candidates;.

What angers me though is the way people speak of it. People don't say "Warne should come back"; they say "Australia should bring back Warne" as if it's the selectors' choice, that they wanted him to retire and that if they just named him in the squad for the next Test he'd play. It's Warne's fault he's not playing - he doesn't want to anymore. If he wanted to play he'd be picked. "Bringing back Warne" is not an option because it's not in the control of Australian cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
Read this earlier, and I have to say that this: "There has been a bit written in Australia and people have been asking me about making a comeback. All I can say is that it is very flattering to hear those words" hardly counts as being dismissive.

Personally, I think if the selectors and Ponting asked him to come back, he would play.

joels344

U19 Debutant
Yeah, you might be right. He would play if they asked him too. This whole comeback ordeal reminds me of Michael Schumacher's recent return. He never said that he wasn't coming back. He just answered around the comeback question.

Ruckus

International Captain
What if he came back though, and he got smashed around the park? I know Ian Bell would entertain such thoughts. Be a shame if he tarnished his awesome career.

Btw I love how this is being discussed like it's a legitimate possibility haha...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** me dead, I've never understood this. Every time an Aussie spinner battles, these 'bring back Warne' cries grow, and it gets bloody tedious and predictable. The bloke's retired and not coming back; get over it and move on.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What if he came back though, and he got smashed around the park? I know Ian Bell would entertain such thoughts. Be a shame if he tarnished his awesome career.

Btw I love how this is being discussed like it's a legitimate possibility haha...
Nah, Bell would be awake all night with the shakes.

Ruckus

International Captain
Just as a psychological weapon, bringing back Warne would be so effective haha. Here England stand, finally confident playing Australia in Australia, and then suddenly out of nowhere the master of the Golden Era reappears to haunt them. It would have such a shock value, that I can just imagine the English batsmen trying to overplay him (with false confidence) and holing out in rapid succession. It would be a glorious sight to behold.

Redbacks

International Captain
Just put a cardboard cutout of him at first slip. His presence would probably be worth more than Doherty, catching would remain at the same standard.

Ruckus

International Captain
Apparently over $4000 has already been raised in a come back Warnie fund...so optimistic haha. According to Warne's twitter he is in, or about to go to, England now so I don't think it's gonna happen. Although, maybe he is so good he doesn't need to practice :cool: