• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne is 6/1 for an Ashes comeback!

simmy

International Regular
I posted this for comedy purposes but the content is actually pretty good.

Tremlett 1.67 to play in the next test? Surely he is a shoe in...

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Seriously that would be something if out of the blue, Warny comes for the Aussies rescue.

simmy

International Regular
As mental as it would be... it's the last thing Strauss wants even if he hasn't bowled properly in years.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I posted this for comedy purposes but the content is actually pretty good.

Tremlett 1.67 to play in the next test? Surely he is a shoe in...
He should be, but I suppose there's uncertainty about whether they might go the defensive route and pick Bresnan for his batting, or whether his fragile frame might give way, or whether he gets completely outbowled in the next FC match.

I'd still take 1.67 though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He pointedly refused to rule it out when he was on Sky duty with Bumble. "Never say never" was the quote.

Writes itself; Oz flukily salvage a draw from a losing position at Perth, Punter falls on his sword, Hilditch drops his lawyerly fence sitting, goes on bended knee & bingo: Warne's suddenly the Oz captain at the MCG for the 4th test...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
...and then leads them to an innings defeat, going wicketless in the process

joels344

U19 Debutant
Even if Warne hasn't played Test cricket in years, it wouldn't hurt anything to for him to make a comeback. Australia are pretty much dead in this Ashes anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Damn, that makes me nervous
On the contrary, I'd welcome it.

Warne was on the wane in 2006/07. While I've no doubt that his aura would take a few wickets for him, picking a player who hasn't played any First Class cricket in 2 years and whose only cricket in that time frame has been a few weeks of IPL would be a sign of absolute desperation.

In the modern, professional era, has plucking a player out of retirement ever really worked?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In the modern, professional era, has plucking a player out of retirement ever really worked?
Not quite the same thing, but Yousuf actually improved his test side this summer when he came back from a retirement of sorts. Pakistan won the first test he played in after the Australian tour debacle.

Carl Hooper "retired" too (was out of the test side for nearly two years anyway) and then came back as captain and performed closer to his real abilities post-comeback than his career figures. Statsguru.

It would look like blind panic on yer crims part, but the answer to the crucial question "Would Warne improve the side?" is yes, IMHO.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I really, really want this to happen. Whether or not it would improve the Aussie side I have no idea, it would just be huge event.

tooextracool

International Coach
Honestly, the stage could not be better set for a Warne return. Even as an English supporter, wouldn't mind him back, this has been one of the most boring Ashes series I've watched in a while simply because of the quality of cricket on display from Australia. It could use a little Warne.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You've got to be ****ing kidding me. I thought all this was in jest. Damn you all for getting my hopes up! :@

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sky best check his contract and threaten to sue if he isn't gonna fulfill it :@

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really, really want this to happen. Whether or not it would improve the Aussie side I have no idea, it would just be huge event.
Agree with this - and Warne is only 41 when all is said and done - and it would only happen if he thought he was capable of taking wickets