• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is really to blame for Australia's batting collapses post 2007 in Ashes series?

Ruckus

International Captain
Indeed. Sehwag a fantastic example of this.

Having a good 4th innings average is nice, but it's so overrated at times. Steve Waugh proves this.
Sehwag is also a great example of how annoying it is for a team to suddenly lose their opener straight away in a run chase.

TumTum

Banned
The thing is DeusEx, if your team posts a big total in the 1st innnings, you will play less 2nd innings as you will either win by an innings or the opposition will bat for a draw. Hence your poor 2nd innings record won't be as harmful.

Ruckus

International Captain
The thing is DeusEx, if your team posts a big total in the 1st innnings, you will play less 2nd innings as you will either win by an innings or the opposition will bat for a draw. Hence your poor 2nd innings record won't be as harmful.
But if you score a 0 and 100, you will post a smaller first innings total, yet will be able to chase a bigger total (if batting second)?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
But if you score a 0 and 100, you will post a smaller first innings total, yet will be able to chase a bigger total (if batting second)?
But in your example, you're only chasing a bigger total because you did squat in the first innings. If you did well in the first innings, you wouldn't have to chase that big a total.

Its the total runs you score in the Test that matters, not how prettily you manage to distribute them.

Ruckus

International Captain
But in your example, you're only chasing a bigger total because you did squat in the first innings. If you did well in the first innings, you wouldn't have to chase that big a total.

Its the total runs you score in the Test that matters, not how prettily you manage to distribute them.
Yeah exactly it's total runs. That's why the comparison is between 100 and 0, vs 0 and 100. Total runs the same.

Ruckus

International Captain
You're missing the point. There doesn't need to be a comparison. Its pointless to do so.
So your saying both are the same? Because that's what I've been arguing for the past 20 pages. The others have been disputing it.

TumTum

Banned
There doesn't need to be a comparison. Its pointless to do so.
Some people reckon it is important (which I agree to a certain extent). But most are assuming that the batsman would score the majority of their runs in the 1st innings, ignoring the possibility that it might be the other way around, and using that outcome to suggest that it is better than scoring 2 50s.

tooextracool

International Coach
This 0 + 100 and 100 + 0 is a logically flawed argument. The point is that if you have a bunch of players who routinely score big runs this becomes irrelevant because even if you score 0 in the first innings then someone else will score a 100. That's called covering up for other batsmen.

This is not really valid when you score 50s because you either need a) someone else to come in and score 100 in order to realistically have any chance in the game or b) every one in the top 7 to chip in with a 50 (which as I have pointed out earlier is not really realistic) to put up a competitive score. And you need this to happen in both innings.

Watson's conversion rate is downright terrible at 20%, you can say hes young and he'll improve, but either way even you'll agree that he needs to improve on that record whether he is averaging 45+ or not.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Getting it back on topic.

Ponting and Hussey going from God-like to mediocre after 2007 is the obvious answer.

TumTum

Banned
This 0 + 100 and 100 + 0 is a logically flawed argument. The point is that if you have a bunch of players who routinely score big runs this becomes irrelevant because even if you score 0 in the first innings then someone else will score a 100. That's called covering up for other batsmen.

This is not really valid when you score 50s because you either need a) someone else to come in and score 100 in order to realistically have any chance in the game or b) every one in the top 7 to chip in with a 50 (which as I have pointed out earlier is not really realistic) to put up a competitive score. And you need this to happen in both innings.
Ok so if you expect another batsman to score a 100 when you do get a 0, why can't you expect the same when you get a 50?

Ruckus

International Captain

Watson's conversion rate is downright terrible at 20%, you can say hes young and he'll improve, but either way even you'll agree that he needs to improve on that record whether he is averaging 45+ or not.
So you are saying that scoring a duck will make it more likely someone will score a 100? wtf? This whole thread is about why we have been having batting collapses man! Batting collapses = batsmen not covering for each other. I don't think Watson needs to improve his conversion rate, providing he can maintain a good average. I do, however, think he will improve his conversion rate.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To answer the thread's title question, I'd say all of the Aussie collapses in the last two Ashes series except the first dig at Lord's were predominantly down to excellent English bowling and fielding. Against previous England teams a silly run-out in the first over wouldn't result in your captain and best batsman both going for 0 to absolute jaffas, hitting the ball in the air to a fielder wouldn't necessarily end your innings and a batting collapse could sometimes be recovered in the field. That's not the case anymore.

TumTum

Banned
I don't think Watson needs to improve his conversion rate, providing he can maintain a good average.
Exactly. It is recommended to have a good conversion rate because it would give you a higher average compared to a guy that can't convert starts whilst performing just as poorly when out of form. On the contrary Watson has a great average because he has hardly performed poorly as opener.

tooextracool

International Coach
I disagree with Vic and TEC's premise that Watson and Katich are significantly to blame, but I agree with them that a 100 and 0 is generally better than a 50 and 50.

Obviously if someone converts hundreds more but averages less, then you have to reassess the argument.
I don't think I've argued that Watson is significantly to blame for the collapses. I think he has played a role in the collapses and that it needs to be acknowledged his conversion rate has been a problem for Australia thus far. You cant just say, he's averaging 50 so he's barred from all criticism.

The real reason for Australia's collapses is that firstly they have Marcus North, who I have pointed out for well over 1.5 years isn't a good enough test cricketer when the ball moves even a tiny fraction. He has basically been useless.

The other problem is that they have too many players in there who are aging and not able to play with the kind of consistency that their batting needs to have against top teams. All talk about Watson in this thread, but Ponting's and Katich's conversion rates have been terrible for a while now and Hussey has been inconsistent. I think it is a problem when your batting revolves around players who are 35 + years old (having one or 2 is fine but having 3 is a bit of a problem especially when you have North), they should instead be relying on batsmen who are in the prime of their careers like Watson and Clarke.

tooextracool

International Coach
Ok so if you expect another batsman to score a 100 when you do get a 0, why can't you expect the same when you get a 50?
because when you score 50 in each innings, you need someone to do it twice (once in each innings)?

When you score a 100 in one innings, you actually do the job in one innings. When you score a 50 in each you've basically done half the job in each innings and so someone else has to cover up for you in both innings.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
So you are saying that scoring a duck will make it more likely someone will score a 100? wtf? This whole thread is about why we have been having batting collapses man! Batting collapses = batsmen not covering for each other. I don't think Watson needs to improve his conversion rate, providing he can maintain a good average. I do, however, think he will improve his conversion rate.
I'm not sure where in my post you have drawn that conclusion from. I said if you have batters with good conversion rates, it becomes irrelevant whether you score 0 + 100 or 100 + 0 because the odds are that someone out of the 7 will score a 100 every inning.

I think you are looking at the end average as the be all and end all. Averages are meant to be a guide, absolutely no one should look at an average and say hes averaging 50 therefore hes doing fine. You look at his performances first, Watson has barely made one match winning contribution, and this while playing on some of the flattest tracks in the world. If that makes you happy then this argument is not going to go anywhere.