Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who is really to blame for Australia's batting collapses post 2007 in Ashes series?

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    An average = all runs/ all dismissals (whether it be in the 1st or 2nd innings, combining both the easy and difficult batting conditions), thanks

Next?
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    What about 0 & 100?
    I'd rather a 50 and a 50 than a 0 then 100.

The second innings is for building the lead (if you are doing well in the test) or saving the match (if you are doing poorly). You are far more likely to be in the lead if you make good first innings runs.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I'd rather a 50 and a 50 than a 0 then 100.

The second innings is for building the lead (if you are doing well in the test) or saving the match (if you are doing poorly). You are far more likely to be in the lead if you make good first innings runs.
    Exactly my point. Everyone is assuming that the 100 is scored in the 1st innings. Especially if you are using Gambhir as an example

Getting 100 and then 0 is better than getting 50 and 50, but not by much.

In the first situation, the extra runs help apply more pressure to the other side earlier in the game, which will generally cause them to be mentally behind.

I would much rather have taken a 100/0 performance out of Watson in this test match. With his extra 50 runs in the first innings we may have seen some bigger partnerships, which would have given us more time in the good batting conditions, which would have seen us build a bigger total due to the lower order players facing more tired bowlers.

Instead of getting 295 we may have gotten 350 or 400. You cannot neglect the psychological effect that having a teammate hit a hundred gives you.

First innings runs generally help set the tone of a match and more often than not tend to be more valuable than second innings runs.
    Once again though you are just looking at one side of the coin. If he made 100 and 0, in the second innings we could suffer a massive collapse due to being down 1/0. Any psychological advantage gained by the big first innings score would be lost when England suddenly find themselves right back in the game.

First innings runs generally help set the tone of a match and more often than not tend to be more valuable than second innings runs.
    Indeed. Sehwag a fantastic example of this.

Having a good 4th innings average is nice, but it's so overrated at times. Steve Waugh proves this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Indeed. Sehwag a fantastic example of this.

Having a good 4th innings average is nice, but it's so overrated at times. Steve Waugh proves this.
    Sehwag is also a great example of how annoying it is for a team to suddenly lose their opener straight away in a run chase.

International Regular
    The thing is DeusEx, if your team posts a big total in the 1st innnings, you will play less 2nd innings as you will either win by an innings or the opposition will bat for a draw. Hence your poor 2nd innings record won't be as harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    The thing is DeusEx, if your team posts a big total in the 1st innnings, you will play less 2nd innings as you will either win by an innings or the opposition will bat for a draw. Hence your poor 2nd innings record won't be as harmful.
    But if you score a 0 and 100, you will post a smaller first innings total, yet will be able to chase a bigger total (if batting second)?

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    But if you score a 0 and 100, you will post a smaller first innings total, yet will be able to chase a bigger total (if batting second)?
    But in your example, you're only chasing a bigger total because you did squat in the first innings. If you did well in the first innings, you wouldn't have to chase that big a total.

Its the total runs you score in the Test that matters, not how prettily you manage to distribute them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Regular
    You could, but most would be in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    But in your example, you're only chasing a bigger total because you did squat in the first innings. If you did well in the first innings, you wouldn't have to chase that big a total.

Its the total runs you score in the Test that matters, not how prettily you manage to distribute them.
    Yeah exactly it's total runs. That's why the comparison is between 100 and 0, vs 0 and 100. Total runs the same.

Yeah exactly it's total runs. That's why the comparison is between 100 and 0, vs 0 and 100. Total runs the same.
    There doesn't need to be a comparison. Its pointless to do so.

You're missing the point. There doesn't need to be a comparison. Its pointless to do so.
    So your saying both are the same? Because that's what I've been arguing for the past 20 pages. The others have been disputing it.

Fair enough. I read just the last page tbh

International Regular
    There doesn't need to be a comparison. Its pointless to do so.
    Some people reckon it is important (which I agree to a certain extent). But most are assuming that the batsman would score the majority of their runs in the 1st innings, ignoring the possibility that it might be the other way around, and using that outcome to suggest that it is better than scoring 2 50s.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information