• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things that annoy you about the Ashes

Jacknife

International Captain
Outsiders whining about the Ashes not being a great contest and is all about tradition etc
Agree, the other nutty one I hear is, why does the Ashes have to be between England & Oz, why can't so and so team play for the Ashes.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine how horse racing fans feel when everyone thinks they're an expert come spring racing season every year.

I couldn't give a **** about racing tbh, but if I was a fan and heard random dicks (who never get a chance to wear a suit in their life so get excited come October when they can spill goon all over their tie) talk about how So You Think is a lock etc.
This. ****ing does my head in.

simmy

International Regular
It is a valid point, going to be a long couple of years. This is the only series that gets the passion really flowing for both countries.
India at home will get my passion going. Will be one hell of a series. Hopefully a lot closer than the current series England are playing.

Craig

World Traveller
Agree, the other nutty one I hear is, why does the Ashes have to be between England & Oz, why can't so and so team play for the Ashes.
I heard a comment yesterday by some douche trying to bag out a kiwi by staying NZ are so **** because they're not in the Ashes. I resisted the temptation to give him a benchy-style beating.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty hard to find any negatives, but the timing of the tests down under is a ball ache for those of us in the senior hemipshere.

Coverage of Perth starts at 2.00am on Sky here, so imagine play will start either 30 or 60 mins after, can't decide if that's worse than the more eastern tests or not.

Craig

World Traveller
Pretty hard to find any negatives, but the timing of the tests down under is a ball ache for those of us in the senior hemipshere.

Coverage of Perth starts at 2.00am on Sky here, so imagine play will start either 30 or 60 mins after, can't decide if that's worse than the more eastern tests or not.
IIRC play was starting around 8pm in 2005, 2009 etc., so I was always able to get at least one session in at a decent time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Pretty dire for me as I try to juggle two timezones because it crosses over into the only 'limbo' I really have.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IIRC play was starting around 8pm in 2005, 2009 etc., so I was always able to get at least one session in at a decent time.
Yeah, the timing for us Aussies isn't really that bad, can always get the first session in without having to be awake at an unreasonable hour. Feel for the English; how they managed to get up during the 90s to watch a game is beyond me.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I would usually watch English series until tea before I decided that enough was enough. Went reasonably well.

stumpski

International Captain
I hate the fact that we have to wait two and a half years after the Australian Ashes for another series.

Actually, I'd be in favour of making it a 5-year cycle, so we have two and a half years between each series. The return trip to Australia always feels too soon for me, especially so in 2006. To surrender the urn after 15 months when it had been away for so long was painful.

And as for fair weather fans, well, as the vernacular has it, tell me about it. Now that England are doing well in an Ashes series everyone at work is suddenly a lifelong cricket fan - just as they were in 2005. It does seem almost unfair that people who don't watch a match from one year to the next can bathe in the reflected glory when the England team pull off an unexpected (and long-awaited) triumph. No doubt it's the same for other sports though ... just ask Jonny Wilkinson.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I stand on the side of any publicity is good publicity, and an Ashes series at home always results in grassroots interest increasing.

What annoys me is the when people who don't watch cricket (Prince EWS etc) all of a sudden become experts on cricket when the Ashes come around.
"Warney is rubbish, he bowls it so slowly"

and

"why isn't he bowling it at the stumps?"

are two particular favourites of mine.