• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would you bat Ponting ?

Midwinter

State Captain
I would have him batting at 5 from the next test.

After the glorious purple patch of 2-3 years ago it's time to accept that time has passed.
He could go another couple of years playing a more defensive middle order role.

If he tries to stay at 3 it could get embarassing.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Three. Last thing a man like Ponting needs right now is salt in the wounds with a drop down the order.

Redbacks

International Captain
5 50's in his last 9 innings.....? Including 3/4 in conditions he has struggled in.

Needs a hundred but c'mon.

Spark

Global Moderator
Three. We need stability somewhere and right now that's where he needs to be to provide it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He bats three, unless you want to destabilise the top order further. Hughes (assuming he gets the nod) has only played with Watson once, why you'd further complicate things by bringing in someone who's never batted 3 is beyond me.

Blaze 18

Banned
It may come across as a sign of weakness, and Australia just cannot afford to show any signs of weakness at this point in time.

Debris

International 12th Man
I don't really see much of an issue dropping him down to 4 or 5 with his reflexes slowing a touch. Depends who you want to bring in and whether they could bat at 3. Khawaja looks like he might be a number 3 if he is picked

kingkallis

International Coach
Yet another unnecessary discussion about Ponting. Spare him!

He is one of the best bat @ No.3 in international cricket.