• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would you bat Ponting ?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think he's a troll; he's just really, really, ridiculously biased. No-one should ever get worked up by him after reading more than five of his posts; I just laugh.
As bad as that BhupinderSingh **** going on and on and on about Imran Khan.

I'm all for having a good laugh at Ponting's decline and how badly he's gone in this series, but anyone who seriously questions his greatness is a moron.

If he's not trolling, why has he posted the sum total of **** all in any other Ashes thread?

iamdavid

International Debutant
The key word is crisis..a situation where his team is down 3 or 4 for under 20.. he managed to turn it around with his batting.. you are giving me the example of the world cup final when their openners give him a good start..i mean comon.. 105 in 13 over.. the stage was all set for him to come and fire up..hell even guys like Symonds and Bevan could have played such an innings.. if it was lets say 13 with 2 wickets down.. i would probably appreciate his innings more..

maybe the Ashes innings probably reflects what i am talking about but again.. he didn't win the match and hell he got out in a crucial situation when he was needed to play..

take a look at this scorecard..yes the match was drawn due to rain and we couldn't know what the result could have been.. but pakistan was 39 for 5 against a bowling line up consist of Ambrose, Walsh, and King (who seemed a very fine bowler during that series)

1st Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Georgetown, May 5-9, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

take a look at this innings, an injured Laxman batting with a runner and tailender..

1st Test: India v Australia at Mohali, Oct 1-5, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I honestly don't see any innings similar to these innings from Ponting... My opinion is that he usually got a good start and didn't batt under an extreme amount of pressure.. that is why maybe he scored so many runs and has an average of over 50..
4th Test: England v Australia at Leeds, Jul 24-28, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

1st Test: Australia v India at Adelaide, Dec 10-14, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

1st Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Kandy, Sep 9-11, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The key word is crisis..a situation where his team is down 3 or 4 for under 20.. he managed to turn it around with his batting.. you are giving me the example of the world cup final when their openners give him a good start..i mean comon.. 105 in 13 over.. the stage was all set for him to come and fire up..hell even guys like Symonds and Bevan could have played such an innings.. if it was lets say 13 with 2 wickets down.. i would probably appreciate his innings more..

maybe the Ashes innings probably reflects what i am talking about but again.. he didn't win the match and hell he got out in a crucial situation when he was needed to play..

take a look at this scorecard..yes the match was drawn due to rain and we couldn't know what the result could have been.. but pakistan was 39 for 5 against a bowling line up consist of Ambrose, Walsh, and King (who seemed a very fine bowler during that series)

1st Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Georgetown, May 5-9, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

take a look at this innings, an injured Laxman batting with a runner and tailender..

1st Test: India v Australia at Mohali, Oct 1-5, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I honestly don't see any innings similar to these innings from Ponting... My opinion is that he usually got a good start and didn't batt under an extreme amount of pressure.. that is why maybe he scored so many runs and has an average of over 50..
You didn't see the third test of the 05 Ashes then.

Midwinter

State Captain
Apologies to the selectors .
Apparently Chappell suggested that he bat at 4 in Brisbane.

Perhaps Punter hasn't recognised any change in his game, except he is spending more time in the pavilion enjoying the air conditioning.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Apologies to the selectors .
Apparently Chappell suggested that he bat at 4 in Brisbane.
He probably should've selected another top order batsman then because Clarke and Hussey certainly shouldn't be batting three. Did he want North to do it? Haha.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's what Chappell said though. He wanted another batsman to come in and bat 3 (I am guessing Khawaja).

It's interesting because that means he wanted North gone, and everyone to shuffle down. But once Ponting said no, North kept his spot. And once North went, they didn't want to bat Khawaja at 6.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's what Chappell said though. He wanted another batsman to come in and bat 3 (I am guessing Khawaja).

It's interesting because that means he wanted North gone, and everyone to shuffle down. But once Ponting said no, North kept his spot. And once North went, they didn't want to bat Khawaja at 6.
Reckon he probably wanted Hussey gone rather than North, at the time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Having thought about it, I don't think I'd begrudge Ponting having a Waughesque final innings and rattling off ton number 40 whilst saving the game for Australia in Sydney.

I think his place in the Test side has to be under serious threat going forward, and as much as I've enjoyed his suffering thus far in the series, another failure and defeat would be a truly horrible way for one of the greats of the game to possibly depart.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I definitely don't see moving Ponting to lower than four making him any more effective. Having him come in against spin regularly would be a terrible idea IMO. I can certainly see the merits of moving him to four but if he's not good enough to be a Test standard 3 or 4 he's not going to be good enough to be a Test standard 5 either because I think he'd be even worse there.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I definitely don't see moving Ponting to lower than four making him any more effective. Having him come in against spin regularly would be a terrible idea IMO. I can certainly see the merits of moving him to four but if he's not good enough to be a Test standard 3 or 4 he's not going to be good enough to be a Test standard 5 either because I think he'd be even worse there.
There are a couple of reasons..
More than the spinners, it has been the new ball and swing that has troubled Ponting. Even against Pakistan in England..it was the moving ball that let to his downfall. Consdering how he had to come in early almost every match and Anderson is the best swing bowler in the world, I think there is very good reason to move him from 3. Now, Hussey is the best Australian batsman at the moment..and he is the one who played Anderson the best..so I would rather have my best batsman up early against their best bowler with the new ball rather than a guys like Ponting and Clarke who are struggling to put bat to ball.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dont think Ponting has any serious issues against spin anymore.As we saw in India he does most basic things right when it comes to playing spin and imo he'll be a decent number 5.
Guess any change in the order will depend on how long he's going to play as well i mean if sydney going to be his last test,then he should bat at 3 for old times sake.