Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you bat Ponting ?

Can't say he looked awful up to the dismissal though.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Yeah I don't buy the 'just keeps getting out' thing. You don't just keep getting out for 4 years. With a quality batsmen like Ponting, the changes aren't as noticable, but they are definately there. He tends just to make rash choices in innings these days - he feels too much for the ball, he pulls/hooks too early in the innings before he is settled, he tries to glance the ball when the line is too close to the stumps etc.

He just doesn't look like he has much of a plan when he his batting. Almost all players in supreme form play like robots - as soon as they arrive to the crease they attack bad balls, leave good balls and have a solid defence. Hussey's recent hundred was a perfect example, a near flawless innings. He looked the same all the way through the innings, and was settled as soon as he came to the crease.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Is that the number one sign of being out of form ?

The next step is
    "He's hitting them well in the nets" !!!
    Haha yeah. But even a batsman in excellent form can get out if his opponents bowl well enough to him early on or if his rare mistakes result in an edge rather than a play-and-miss. Ponting's obviously far from in "excellent" form, but I don't know whether he's in "averaging 10" bad form.

Although he was almost out twice before his dismissal in the first innings at Perth, so that suggests otherwise- but again, you have to credit the quality of bowling he's faced. The rest of the lineup are pants too bar Hussey so it's not like he's failing in spots where his peers are succeeding. I don't think there really is anyone in Australia good enough to bat 3 and score runs against this England attack without a sizeable chunk of luck.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 26-12-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Spectator

Out of sorts, out of form

Bat at number 3 for Tasmania.
    Let's forget this series and get some backbone in the team. Pretty boys with too much money don't stand up when put under pump.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Yeah I don't buy the 'just keeps getting out' thing. You don't just keep getting out for 4 years. With a quality batsmen like Ponting, the changes aren't as noticable, but they are definately there. He tends just to make rash choices in innings these days - he feels too much for the ball, he pulls/hooks too early in the innings before he is settled, he tries to glance the ball when the line is too close to the stumps etc.

He just doesn't look like he has much of a plan when he his batting. Almost all players in supreme form play like robots - as soon as they arrive to the crease they attack bad balls, leave good balls and have a solid defence. Hussey's recent hundred was a perfect example, a near flawless innings. He looked the same all the way through the innings, and was settled as soon as he came to the crease.
    He has technique which you try and coach out of 12 year olds. Tie a brick to his back foot to stop him walking into the shot.
    Last edited by dhufish; 27-12-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Simon Champion!
    He isn't looking bad ,as say Compared to what someone like Dravid was in his slump.

But he is out of form. You can't just keep getting out like that for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dhufish View Post
    Bat at number 3 for Tasmania.
    Let's forget this series and get some backbone in the team. Pretty boys with too much money don't stand up when put under pump.
    Yeah it's not like he's scored twelve thousand test match runs has he.

Seriously this general attitude/line of thought in the Australian public pisses me off far more than being 98ao and then conceding 5 for four hundred.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Wicket View Post
    Someone must have forgot to let the other teams know because in the last 10 years, there have been only 7 200+ successful chases in these two countries, with India featuring in 6 of them.
    haha pwned

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post

I felt I was making the same mistake with respect to Dravid. It is easy to see now for me that his back leg is just NOT moving across at all.. I guess when you are not making the sort of runs you used to do, something definitely has got to be going wrong. It might just be so small that you won't even notice it.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah it's not like he's scored twelve thousand test match runs has he.

Seriously this general attitude/line of thought in the Australian public pisses me off far more than being 98ao and then conceding 5 for four hundred.
    Maybe he has, but this series he's been lucky to reach double figures (except in second innings when it didn't count). I would be dropped from my club team with the form he's in.

Yeah, but your club bowlers aren't ****ing Jimmy Anderson and Chris Tremlett bowling ball after ball after ball after ball on a perfect length on a line just outside off and getting it to move both ways in the air and off the pitch, are they?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    You can't prove they aren't doing that, tbf

Well if they are then why are they playing club cricket?

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah, but your club bowlers aren't ****ing Jimmy Anderson and Chris Tremlett bowling ball after ball after ball after ball on a perfect length on a line just outside off and getting it to move both ways in the air and off the pitch, are they?

One would think a test batsman should be able to play test bowlers.
    Agreed, the ball moved around in Perth (Australia won that one), and Ponting failed. The ball moved around in Melbourne and Ponting failed. The ball was pretty well straight up and down in Brisbane and Adelaide and Ponting failed.

Excuse me? Did you see the ball Anderson bowled to Ponting in the first innings in Adelaide?

Some of the balls bowled to him this series, Ponting at his peak would've struggled. England have bowled some exceptional balls at him.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information