Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you bat Ponting ?

Here's the thing though - in the fast bowling department there is depth. Not McGrath-Warne depth, but there's some decent bowlers running around who haven't yet had a look in. Copeland, Cameron etc.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Here's the thing though - in the fast bowling department there is depth. Not McGrath-Warne depth, but there's some decent bowlers running around who haven't yet had a look in. Copeland, Cameron etc.
    Yeah, Copeland's stats are pretty impressive all be it in a short career so far.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 13-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Wicket View Post
    Someone must have forgot to let the other teams know because in the last 10 years, there have been only 7 200+ successful chases in these two countries, with India featuring in 6 of them.
    That is an awesome statistic.

I wish rain hadn't robbed us of day 5 in the Chennai Test of 2004, that could have gone down as a real classic.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    That is an awesome statistic.

I wish rain hadn't robbed us of day 5 in the Chennai Test of 2004, that could have gone down as a real classic.
    Think it would have been a defining 4th inning knock for Sehwag.. And some of the sledges from Gilly, the captain were not received well by the Indians. Think quite a few of our guys lost a lot of respect for Gilly then... And it showed in the way Sehwag walked off straightaway after hitting that lovely straight drive for four off McGrath..

And I think that series, more than anything, set up this Indo-Aussie rivalry.. We were in poor form, most of our batters came off the cold and all that but I think a lot of things the Aussies said and did during that series really made a lot of players pretty angry, justifiably or not is another story... And it shows even today, when you see that reaction by Sachin after hittng the winning shot for the latest test against them... It juz meant so so much to a lot of our players.. I guess for some reason the Aussie line up saw most of the new Indian players as the "easy to buly" type..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Wicket View Post
    Someone must have forgot to let the other teams know because in the last 10 years, there have been only 7 200+ successful chases in these two countries, with India featuring in 6 of them.
    Nice.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah.. trust him enough to do it at 3 though?
    I'd trust Hussey at 3, all jokes aside he has been in when the ball is sitll new more often than not so far in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Yeah use the only series where Cook has actually played decently as an example and to somehow in your weird way justify that he has a really good front foot technique?

FAIL that is all I can say.
    I presume the FAIL describes your own point, complete lack of knowledge has been demonstrated. Cook has never had a good series before?
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Hasn't Cook's 2010 been epic? Even prior to the Ashes? Or am I thinking of another year.

Fairly certain he's up there in most runs for the year right?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Yeah good year obviously, especially including the Ashes, but thought he had done more prior to the Ashes. Just realised he piled them on vs. Bangladesh.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    He was pretty poor against Pakistan tbh, seems to have come through that quite well fortunately enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I'd trust Hussey at 3, all jokes aside he has been in when the ball is sitll new more often than not so far in this series.
    I just don't see the logic in "Hussey's been awesome at 5 so let's move him to 3 or 4". Likewise "Haddin's been awesome at 7 so let's move him to 6". No. These are the two bits of the team that aren't broken, so leave them alone.

If Ponting plays he has to bat 3. I reckon he'd retire sooner than drop down the order. Although on the other hand I s'pose Viv did it.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    So baffled by some posts in this thread. Plenty of players move down the order in the later period of their career. We no longer have openers that will see Ponting come in at 1/100 very often, and he will have to face the new ball. At his age, he just doesn't have that consistency. He is still a classy batsman, and has a place in Australian Team. It's down the order, when the ball is a little older.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

U19 Debutant
    So after the first morning at the MCG if he doesn't drop down the order he could be gone.

He looked awful

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    He was pretty poor against Pakistan tbh, seems to have come through that quite well fortunately enough.
    Yeah, that actually said more about the quality of opening bowling he faced than a loss of form though.

Can say the same of Ponting to some extent. And I'm not really sure what to make of his dismissals down the leg side. He keeps falling over trying to play those balls and opening it up as a mode of dismissal but it's still a hard way to actually get out with only the keeper catching behind the wicket on the leg side.

I don't even know if he's in bad form, he doesn't really look it. He just keeps getting out.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

U19 Debutant
    don't even know if he's in bad form, he doesn't really look it. He just keeps getting out.
    Is that the number one sign of being out of form ?

The next step is
    "He's hitting them well in the nets" !!!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information