• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would you bat Ponting ?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
yeah.. trust him enough to do it at 3 though?
I'd trust Hussey at 3, all jokes aside he has been in when the ball is sitll new more often than not so far in this series.

Yeah use the only series where Cook has actually played decently as an example and to somehow in your weird way justify that he has a really good front foot technique?

FAIL that is all I can say.
I presume the FAIL describes your own point, complete lack of knowledge has been demonstrated. Cook has never had a good series before? 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hasn't Cook's 2010 been epic? Even prior to the Ashes? Or am I thinking of another year.

Fairly certain he's up there in most runs for the year right?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah good year obviously, especially including the Ashes, but thought he had done more prior to the Ashes. Just realised he piled them on vs. Bangladesh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He was pretty poor against Pakistan tbh, seems to have come through that quite well fortunately enough.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd trust Hussey at 3, all jokes aside he has been in when the ball is sitll new more often than not so far in this series.
I just don't see the logic in "Hussey's been awesome at 5 so let's move him to 3 or 4". Likewise "Haddin's been awesome at 7 so let's move him to 6". No. These are the two bits of the team that aren't broken, so leave them alone.

If Ponting plays he has to bat 3. I reckon he'd retire sooner than drop down the order. Although on the other hand I s'pose Viv did it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
So baffled by some posts in this thread. Plenty of players move down the order in the later period of their career. We no longer have openers that will see Ponting come in at 1/100 very often, and he will have to face the new ball. At his age, he just doesn't have that consistency. He is still a classy batsman, and has a place in Australian Team. It's down the order, when the ball is a little older.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was pretty poor against Pakistan tbh, seems to have come through that quite well fortunately enough.
Yeah, that actually said more about the quality of opening bowling he faced than a loss of form though.

Can say the same of Ponting to some extent. And I'm not really sure what to make of his dismissals down the leg side. He keeps falling over trying to play those balls and opening it up as a mode of dismissal but it's still a hard way to actually get out with only the keeper catching behind the wicket on the leg side.

I don't even know if he's in bad form, he doesn't really look it. He just keeps getting out.

Midwinter

State Captain
don't even know if he's in bad form, he doesn't really look it. He just keeps getting out.
Is that the number one sign of being out of form ?

The next step is
"He's hitting them well in the nets" !!!
:)

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I don't buy the 'just keeps getting out' thing. You don't just keep getting out for 4 years. With a quality batsmen like Ponting, the changes aren't as noticable, but they are definately there. He tends just to make rash choices in innings these days - he feels too much for the ball, he pulls/hooks too early in the innings before he is settled, he tries to glance the ball when the line is too close to the stumps etc.

He just doesn't look like he has much of a plan when he his batting. Almost all players in supreme form play like robots - as soon as they arrive to the crease they attack bad balls, leave good balls and have a solid defence. Hussey's recent hundred was a perfect example, a near flawless innings. He looked the same all the way through the innings, and was settled as soon as he came to the crease.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that the number one sign of being out of form ?

The next step is
"He's hitting them well in the nets" !!!
:)
Haha yeah. But even a batsman in excellent form can get out if his opponents bowl well enough to him early on or if his rare mistakes result in an edge rather than a play-and-miss. Ponting's obviously far from in "excellent" form, but I don't know whether he's in "averaging 10" bad form.

Although he was almost out twice before his dismissal in the first innings at Perth, so that suggests otherwise- but again, you have to credit the quality of bowling he's faced. The rest of the lineup are pants too bar Hussey so it's not like he's failing in spots where his peers are succeeding. I don't think there really is anyone in Australia good enough to bat 3 and score runs against this England attack without a sizeable chunk of luck.

Last edited:

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
Out of sorts, out of form

Bat at number 3 for Tasmania.
Let's forget this series and get some backbone in the team. Pretty boys with too much money don't stand up when put under pump.

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
Yeah I don't buy the 'just keeps getting out' thing. You don't just keep getting out for 4 years. With a quality batsmen like Ponting, the changes aren't as noticable, but they are definately there. He tends just to make rash choices in innings these days - he feels too much for the ball, he pulls/hooks too early in the innings before he is settled, he tries to glance the ball when the line is too close to the stumps etc.

He just doesn't look like he has much of a plan when he his batting. Almost all players in supreme form play like robots - as soon as they arrive to the crease they attack bad balls, leave good balls and have a solid defence. Hussey's recent hundred was a perfect example, a near flawless innings. He looked the same all the way through the innings, and was settled as soon as he came to the crease.
He has technique which you try and coach out of 12 year olds. Tie a brick to his back foot to stop him walking into the shot.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He isn't looking bad ,as say Compared to what someone like Dravid was in his slump.

But he is out of form. You can't just keep getting out like that for 3 years.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bat at number 3 for Tasmania.
Let's forget this series and get some backbone in the team. Pretty boys with too much money don't stand up when put under pump.
Yeah it's not like he's scored twelve thousand test match runs has he.

Seriously this general attitude/line of thought in the Australian public pisses me off far more than being 98ao and then conceding 5 for four hundred.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I felt I was making the same mistake with respect to Dravid. It is easy to see now for me that his back leg is just NOT moving across at all.. I guess when you are not making the sort of runs you used to do, something definitely has got to be going wrong. It might just be so small that you won't even notice it.

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
Yeah it's not like he's scored twelve thousand test match runs has he.

Seriously this general attitude/line of thought in the Australian public pisses me off far more than being 98ao and then conceding 5 for four hundred.
Maybe he has, but this series he's been lucky to reach double figures (except in second innings when it didn't count). I would be dropped from my club team with the form he's in.