• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would you bat Ponting ?

pup11

International Coach
I don't know why everyone is so keen on seeing him slide down the order, he remains by far the best man to bat at #3 and that's where he should stay, all he needs to do is improve his concentration becuase atm it just seems like batting is not the only thing in his mind when he's at the crease.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
I don't know why everyone is so keen on seeing him slide down the order, he remains by far the best man to bat at #3 and that's where he should stay, all he needs to do is improve his concentration becuase atm it just seems like batting is not the only thing in his mind when he's at the crease.
Similarly he would be the best man to bat at 4 or 5. The question for me is not is he the best value at 3, it is more would he be even better value lower down. Hard to answer without doing it but not a crazy thought. And I am not sure Ponting can just flick a switch and say "right, this innings I will concentrate more".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't understand, who would be better at 3? :dry:

There is no evidence that Clarke will be better, nor Hussey.

Obviously not North, not his replacement (unless you think Khawaja/Ferguson/Dussey are currently better batsman than Ponting)...

it's one of the more confusing arguments.

Either drop Ponting, or play him where he bats best.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono on the mark again here, if there is no obvious alternative to Punter at 3 for now then why move him.

He may only have a couple more weeks left of his career anyway so it may not need discussing soon. Can't see him being retained as captain if they lose the series and he has always intimated he won't play unless he is captain so it could be bye bye Ricky after the ashes/world cup.

Mike5181

International Captain
I would keep him at 3. 1.Watson 2.Hughes 3.Ponting 4.Clarke 5.Hussey 6.Khuwaja 7.Haddin 8.Warne (I know dreaming) 9.Harris 10.Nannes/Tait/Lee ANYONE PLEASE!! 11.Johnson- hopefully he magically regains form overnight

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

There is no evidence that Clarke will be better, nor Hussey.

Obviously not North, not his replacement (unless you think Khawaja/Ferguson/Dussey are currently better batsman than Ponting)...

it's one of the more confusing arguments.

Either drop Ponting, or play him where he bats best.
The main argument for moving him in the past has always been that Hughes/Rogers/whoever is a lot better than North, so if Katich or Watson could bat three and Ponting four it'd improve the team.

I definitely don't support moving Clarke or Hussey up, and now that Katich is injured I don't support moving Ponting at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Watson at 3 kind of made sense, but even then he could just bat 4.

Katich has batted lower order before, so moving Ponting from 3 and replacing him with a guy of a similar age who has experience at 5 and 6 is ridiculous.

Debris

International 12th Man
I can equally ask who would be better than Ponting at 4. It is pretty much a given that he would be the best for any position other than opener.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3. Who else would? Clarke's meh up the order, Hussey hasn't batted 3 afaik.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This would make sense if Australia had a 4,5 or 6 who was setting the world on fire.. They are not, so Ponting should not move from his normal position.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Way to approach the question should not be whether Australia have a better number 3 waiting, but rather can Ponting produce more down the order?

Even if he is replaced by someone who averages 5 runs lesser than Ponting is contributing at 3 and it helps Ponting to up his average by 10-12 points (close to his career average), it is ultimately beneficial for the team.

Is it possible? I certainly think so. Ponting has been one of the better number 6 batsmen in the early days of his career, so certainly knows how to bat lower down at 5/6. And where it will make a difference is in the number of times he is getting out without getting a proper start. Against an older ball he should be able to get through the tough initial periods more frequently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Way to approach the question should not be whether Australia have a better number 3 waiting, but rather can Ponting produce more down the order?

Even if he is replaced by someone who averages 5 runs lesser than Ponting is contributing at 3 and it helps Ponting to up his average by 10-12 points (close to his career average), it is ultimately beneficial for the team.

Is it possible? I certainly think so. Ponting has been one of the better number 6 batsmen in the early days of his career, so certainly knows how to bat lower down at 5/6. And where it will make a difference is in the number of times he is getting out without getting a proper start. Against an older ball he should be able to get through the tough initial periods more frequently.
Ponting coming in against spin isn't going to increase his average by 10-12 points.

No he's not poor against spin, but it's hardly a smart move.

If Ponting improves his average since 2007, it'll be because his form improves or he puts away the short ball. Not because he comes in at 7 with Swann or Harbhajan already having 2 wickets to their name.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We are seeing that he is struggling with the pressure when he is batting 1 down.. Imagine him coming in 3 down or 4 down for 50 or 60!!!!!!! :p