Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: KP has his swagger back!

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481

    KP has his swagger back!

    It's been a long wait for Kevin Pietersen, this was his 18th Test since he smashed his last hundred at the Queens Park Oval, Trinidad, his 28th innings, and finally that particular monkey has been comprehensively removed from his back

    Cricket Web - Ashes HQ 2010-2011: The swagger is back!
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,456
    Yeah, that was a phenomenal innings. He always seems to raise his game against the Australians, doesn't he ? Brilliant player.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Yeah, that was a phenomenal innings. He always seems to raise his game against the Australians, doesn't he ? Brilliant player.
    Yes he seems to love the whole occasion against Australia, series' against sides such as Bangladesh and the likes don't exactly seem to get his juices flowing. Just hope this innings is the start of a golden run for him.

  4. #4
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Im not sure I agree with these 'juices flowing' business. The guy has failed in some pretty big series lately (not against the likes of Bangladesh), in fact the 2 best pace bowling attacks going around have made him look completely clueless. If that isn't motivation enough that he needs the added incentive of the convicts on the same ground to motivate himself, then quite frankly he shouldn't be playing.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Im not sure I agree with these 'juices flowing' business. The guy has failed in some pretty big series lately (not against the likes of Bangladesh), in fact the 2 best pace bowling attacks going around have made him look completely clueless. If that isn't motivation enough that he needs the added incentive of the convicts on the same ground to motivate himself, then quite frankly he shouldn't be playing.
    He is clearly not going to succeed on every big occasion, no player does. He is also going to go through form problems, like every other player. He thrives on the big stage, when he is the centre of attention, when he has something to prove.

  6. #6
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    He is clearly not going to succeed on every big occasion, no player does. He is also going to go through form problems, like every other player. He thrives on the big stage, when he is the centre of attention, when he has something to prove.
    Does he really though? His average against Bangladesh is superior to his record against every other country, this is while he has been going through the worst patch in his career. This runs counter to your argument that he cant motivate himself unless he's on the big stage.

    Equally, his record against Pakistan and SA is not as good as his record against other countries. The record against SA is not poor, but considering that he has a lot to prove against his country of birth, its hardly something that stands out either.I really think this whole 'he's a showman, likes to perform on the big stage' is all blown out of proportion by the fact that he had a really amazing start to his career where he just so happened to perform in big situations. That was 2005, in 2010 his double hundred is more of a footnote, considering that England already had already put in the hard yards and were ahead of Australia by the time he walked in to bat.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,442
    It was quality stuff from KP. Say what you like about the Aussie bowling but it's a rare batsman that has the panache to just saunter down the pitch and dismiss 90mph deliveries through midwicket. Vintage Pietersen.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,144
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Does he really though? His average against Bangladesh is superior to his record against every other country, this is while he has been going through the worst patch in his career. This runs counter to your argument that he cant motivate himself unless he's on the big stage.

    Equally, his record against Pakistan and SA is not as good as his record against other countries. The record against SA is not poor, but considering that he has a lot to prove against his country of birth, its hardly something that stands out either.I really think this whole 'he's a showman, likes to perform on the big stage' is all blown out of proportion by the fact that he had a really amazing start to his career where he just so happened to perform in big situations. That was 2005, in 2010 his double hundred is more of a footnote, considering that England already had already put in the hard yards and were ahead of Australia by the time he walked in to bat.
    He averaged 60 with a SR of 70 in the home series against South Africa in 2008, I'd say that was proving a point. The away series drags down his average because he was in shocking form at the time, I reckon Pietersen will end his career with an excellent average against South Africa. This is a guy who on his first tour with England scored 3 tons in a 7 match ODI series in South Africa, remember.

  9. #9
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    He averaged 60 with a SR of 70 in the home series against South Africa in 2008, I'd say that was proving a point. The away series drags down his average because he was in shocking form at the time, I reckon Pietersen will end his career with an excellent average against South Africa. This is a guy who on his first tour with England scored 3 tons in a 7 match ODI series in South Africa, remember.
    Im not saying he won't score runs against SA. Just think that people's opinion of him being a big match player is outdated. The guy used to perform on the big stage in 2005. Since then hes hardly done anything to suggest that he enjoys these sorts of situations.

  10. #10
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,743
    GF provided a decent list of big match situations that KP has performed in the other day tbf
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Fhgjah

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Im not saying he won't score runs against SA. Just think that people's opinion of him being a big match player is outdated. The guy used to perform on the big stage in 2005. Since then hes hardly done anything to suggest that he enjoys these sorts of situations.
    Think you'll find on the majority of occasions where he is at the centre of the piece, he will perform, whether that's in his Test debut series vs Australia in 2005, the return Ashes series in Australia where he averaged 54.44, his first game as Test captain, etc, the list goes on. He loves the big crowds, the chance to entertain.
    Last edited by Woodster; 06-12-2010 at 02:22 PM.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,442
    Trying to find any measure of patterns or consistency in KP's record is a bit of a thankless task to be honest. From Andy Zaltzman:

    Swerving between the slalom gates of success and failure like a drunken Olympic skier, Pietersen has had one bad series in the 14 he has played, but, arguably, not a single great one. Between the last Ashes and the start of the recent West Indies series, Pietersen scored nine centuries in 22 Tests, but still averaged only just over 50, alternating between the golden underpants of triumph and the dank jockstrap of failure with no apparent link to current form.

    Increasingly capable of painstakingly over-careful accumulation, or tub-thumpingly reckless aggression, Pietersen has at times demolished Warne and Muralitharan, but is vulnerable to club-standard finger spin. As captain, he even managed to coax an outburst of baffling unpredictability from the stolid old ECB. Anything seems possible with Pietersen. Would it really be a surprise if he came out to bat dressed as Elvis or scored a 60-ball hundred whilst batting with a dead ferret instead of a bat?

  14. #14
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,743
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Fhgjah
    ?

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Does he really though? His average against Bangladesh is superior to his record against every other country, this is while he has been going through the worst patch in his career. This runs counter to your argument that he cant motivate himself unless he's on the big stage.
    Tbf, the fact that Bangladesh is the only country he has not scored a hundred against suggests they haven't seen his best. Yes he's a step above their bowlers but he clearly hasn't made them pay when you consider what he's capable of. Two not outs in seven innings goes some way top explaining his high average. I hardly think that counters my argument, and it's not that he cannot motivate himself to perform against sides such as Bangladesh, he just prefers the bigger occasions!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27-05-2009, 10:04 AM
  2. Guess who's back?
    By Gaijin-san in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 17-06-2004, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •