• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

howardj

International Coach
Yep, Johnson will play

Siddle will carry the drinks, and then will probably return for the Boxing Day Test.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, Johnson will play

Siddle will carry the drinks, and then will probably return for the Boxing Day Test.
No, I think it will be Dougeh's turn on the roundabout as he's out of the squad, you see. Sid will be back for Sidney

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
The point was that in the next 2-3 years, Jaques will likely to be able to pressure Hughes' spot in the team. That is a good thing IMO (tbh, I'd love for both to be in form and at the top of the order together).
absolutely
if hussey retires anytime soon (not suggesting that he should, just that hes35)

a good lineup would be

hughes
jacques
ponting
clarke
watson
khwaja/smith
haddin

would be good for hughes development to have an experienced pro like jacques partnered withhim at the top

however i think the unimaginative selectors will still persevere with watson at the top of the order, when its clear he would serve the team far better as a number 4-6 and a genuine 1st change bowler.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
however i think the unimaginative selectors will still persevere with watson at the top of the order, when its clear he would serve the team far better as a number 4-6 and a genuine 1st change bowler.
Problem is that Watson does not see himself as that, think you should go with what you have with Watson which is a very decent oppening bat who can make a usefull contribution with the ball.

irfan

State Captain
Beer???? He'll need a few after copping an absolute pasting (if selected) from the Poms in-form top 7.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
absolutely

a good lineup would be

hughes
jacques
ponting
clarke
watson
khwaja/smith
haddin

would be good for hughes development to have an experienced pro like jacques partnered withhim at the top

Not having Khawaja in there as a definite lock in is a farce

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point was that in the next 2-3 years, Jaques will likely to be able to pressure Hughes' spot in the team. That is a good thing IMO (tbh, I'd love for both to be in form and at the top of the order together).
Can't really see it happening. He's finished in my eyes.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Old mate Phil is potentially finished - his career over. No need for Watson to move down unless his work load becomes unbearable. Can't stress this enough, but Watson should not be coming in against spin

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
absolutely

a good lineup would be

hughes
jacques
ponting
clarke
watson
khwaja/smith
haddin

I doubt Ponting will be around after Hussey retires to be honest especially if he loses the ashes (which seems pretty likely at this stage). I agree with Jaques as well. The guy is 31 not 37 there is still potential for him to be around for 3 years or so much like Katich did.

I have a feeling you will be seeing a lot of the below names in the next 5 or so years

Phillip Hughes
Phil Jaques
Michael Clarke (c)
Usman Khawaja
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk)
Cameron White (only 27 now)
Shaun Marsh
Callum Ferguson
Trent Copeland
Steve O'Keefe
Peter George
Tim Paine (wk)
Peter Neville (wk)
David Warner
Steve Smith
Mitchell Starc

There are others around the domestic scene in Australia though and more will be discovered in the future that will be in contention for the national team.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Old mate Phil is potentially finished - his career over. No need for Watson to move down unless his work load becomes unbearable. Can't stress this enough, but Watson should not be coming in against spin
Absolutely. Watson clearly likes starting against pace. Moreover, I don't see how it exhausts him more, makes him more vulnerable to injury, if he opens than if he bats in the middle order. His injuries always seem to come through his bowling or fielding, not through having to go straight back out and bat after a stint in the field. By opening, he actually gets a bigger break before having to go back out and field.

Mike5181

International Captain
Absolutely. Watson clearly likes starting against pace. Moreover, I don't see how it exhausts him more, makes him more vulnerable to injury, if he opens than if he bats in the middle order. His injuries always seem to come through his bowling or fielding, not through having to go straight back out and bat after a stint in the field. By opening, he actually gets a bigger break before having to go back out and field.
With this in mind you also have an opener that consistently performs with at this time a fragile middle order which contains out of form Ponting, Clarke and a just back into form player in Hussey. To put a new player in the openers role could expose these players early on and that's the last thing Australia want at this stage.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Again, thats the exact link i posted. Am i invisible on this forum?

Warne rates Tremlett, end of story.
You seem to think that net form equates to match performance

If that were the case, according to Nasser Hussain, Tim Bresan would be the world's best bowler

Unfortunately for the 2 Tims, the fact is that it doesnt and Warne is very clear in saying that Tremlett DOES NOT perform the same way in matches as he does in the nets (i.e. he does not do justice to his talent because of a perceived mental weakness)

Clark said the same thing as have plenty of other critics

The guy is obviously talented (and no-one disputes that) but until he actually proves that he can perform in test matches consistently, he'll continue to rate pretty low on the Respectometer