• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Woodster

International Captain
Seen him bowl a lot, he's an average CC cricketer and it's no surprise that he has done very little of note to date
I've seen him bowl a lot and think he's a better than average CC bowler, so we obviously differ in our opinions on this. At 25 the guy's still improving aswell, if he continues to improve at his current rate, in 12-18 months he'll be a very handy cricketer.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've seen him bowl a lot and think he's a better than average CC bowler, so we obviously differ in our opinions on this. At 25 the guy's still improving aswell, if he continues to improve at his current rate, in 12-18 months he'll be a very handy cricketer.
Come on

Before the euphoria of the first 2 tests, he was regarded as a hack

He bowled one nice spell of reverse swing in Bangladesh and was then terrible until cleaning up the tail of a completely disinterested WI at Chester-le-Street on a greentop

That literally saved his international career for the time being

The guy is Moises Henriques without the talent and if he plays a test this series then it will definitely be an advantage to Oz

Logic says "pick Tremlett", potential says "pick Shahzad", complete desperation and you go for Bresnan

Woodster

International Captain
Come on

Before the euphoria of the first 2 tests, he was regarded as a hack

He bowled one nice spell of reverse swing in Bangladesh and was then terrible until cleaning up the tail of a completely disinterested WI at Chester-le-Street on a greentop

That literally saved his international career for the time being

The guy is Moises Henriques without the talent and if he plays a test this series then it will definitely be an advantage to Oz

Logic says "pick Tremlett", potential says "pick Shahzad", complete desperation and you go for Bresnan
Saved his international career ?? Come on, the guys only just starting out. He's not an Aussie spinner you know that has a game or two to impress and if he doesn't he's never heard of again. You clearly don't think much about him, and that's fine. He wouldn't get in my strongest England XI either, but in terms of what England may want from Broad's replacement, he may fit the bill. Tremlett is a more exciting pick.

Shahzad's time will come, but not on this tour imo. We have the luxury of having promising players in the ranks, but don't need to throw them in before they're ready.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If this was anywhere but the WACA I think Shahzad could be in the box seat. He's the quickest of the reserves (probably the quickest in the squad overall, actually), bowls a fuller length so the batsman aren't able to leave as much on the truer Australian wickets, reverses the old ball & has a higher FC batting average than Bresnan.

I think memories of WACAs past will give Tremmers the nod tho. Weakest batsman of the contenders, but will bat #9 ahead of Anderson and Finn in any event.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Lee clambers aboard Warne bandwagon

Now bordering on the farcical

Sometime in the last year or so, I watched Warne bowl in a game at Lords where he'd gotten off a plane from Las Vegas that morning and bowled supremely well

As such, I have absolutely no doubt that he could walk into an Ashes test tomorrow and play a major part

Likewise, Gilchrist would probably do a better job than Haddin, McGrath better than Hilf, etc

HOWEVER, I would be ****ing disgusted if any were offered the opportunity

Man up Australia FFS!

Matty Hayden would go alright replacing Katich too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If this was anywhere but the WACA I think Shahzad could be in the box seat. He's the quickest of the reserves (probably the quickest in the squad overall, actually), bowls a fuller length so the batsman aren't able to leave as much on the truer Australian wickets, reverses the old ball & has a higher FC batting average than Bresnan.

I think memories of WACAs past will give Tremmers the nod tho. Weakest batsman of the contenders, but will bat #9 ahead of Anderson and Finn in any event.
I don't think we can set much by this, Shahzad is much less accomplished with the bat than Bresnan. His average is mostly the way it is due to having so many not outs, which says something but not a lot. He bats two places below Bresnan at county level and has two fifties, no centuries for Yorks as oppose to Bresnan's 14 fifties and five centuries.

social

Saved his international career ?? Come on, the guys only just starting out. He's not an Aussie spinner you know that has a game or two to impress and if he doesn't he's never heard of again. You clearly don't think much about him, and that's fine. He wouldn't get in my strongest England XI either, but in terms of what England may want from Broad's replacement, he may fit the bill. Tremlett is a more exciting pick.

Shahzad's time will come, but not on this tour imo. We have the luxury of having promising players in the ranks, but don't need to throw them in before they're ready.
Rose tinted glasses, I think

Home ground Headingley and he averages 30+ - that's not just average, it's decidedly poor and it's obvious to anyone who watches him bowl

Oz are not in great shape (and that's an understatement if the truth be known) but if our most promising backup was Bresnan then ...

Fortunately, neither of us are in that position

Pick Tremlett and hope that Ponting doesnt wake up IMO

Pick Bresnan and he'll do it in his sleep

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think we can set much by this, Shahzad is much less accomplished with the bat than Bresnan. His average is mostly the way it is due to having so many not outs, which says something but not a lot. He bats two places below Bresnan at county level and has two fifties, no centuries for Yorks as oppose to Bresnan's 14 fifties and five centuries.
Fair dos. In his nascent international career Shazzer has never really hung around for long enough for me to make any serious comparisons. I've read he's supposed to have a truly weird Chanderpaul/Kim Barnett sort of walking-across-his-stumps kind of technique, but again seen nothing of it to speak of.

social

Fair dos. In his nascent international career Shazzer has never really hung around for long enough for me to make any serious comparisons. I've read he's supposed to have a truly weird Chanderpaul/Kim Barnett sort of walking-across-his-stumps kind of technique, but again seen nothing of it to speak of.
TBF, his job is to bowl and I reckon he shows some potential

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shahzad is a decent bat but the fact there are so many all rounders hinders him, he is rightly below Rashid, Bresnan and Wainwright in the order so doesn't get much chance to build an innings. He would probably bat at 8 easily for any other county in the country but has to settle for 9 at best at Yorkshire. Not his fault but a fact as Bresnan is so much better than him with a bat in his hand.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Aagh no

Oz are sticking with certain players for whatever reason (dont ask me why because I dont have an answer either) but he's not rated despite having all the tools necessary to be successful, I couldnt see him as being more than outside chance

He's not rated at all by either Warne or Clark and, quite frankly, they've played with him and are, in all probabilitiy, far better judges than you or me
Oh get off it Tremlett would not only walk in but would be your lead bowler. Suck it up.

And I guess Warne saying this:

Shane Warne: should England paceman Chris Tremlett turn nasty - watch out Australia - Telegraph

"In the nets he is the best bowler in the world, bar none. He is unplayable."

"Everyone in English cricket has known for a while that if the penny drops for Chris, then he can be a world-beater. And I believe if he has learned his lesson then he could be the No 1 bowler in the world. Serious. He is that good."

...shows that he doesn't rate him 8-)

Warne talks about the problem being his body language and lack of aggression. He certainly has no problem with body language any more and, until we see him in a serious game like the Ashes, we can't really know if that aggression is there. But, in any case, Warne clearly rates him very highly.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Loved this Mark Waugh quote:

"He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."

:laugh:

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Shane Warne: should England paceman Chris Tremlett turn nasty - watch out Australia - Telegraph

"Everyone in English cricket has known for a while that if the penny drops for Chris, then he can be a world-beater. And I believe if he has learned his lesson then he could be the No 1 bowler in the world. Serious. He is that good."

Owned.

HeathDavisSpeed

Loved this Mark Waugh quote:

"He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."

Lol. The difference in this day and age is whilst the oppo have challenges available, not walking on blatant hits like that makes you look not only bloody stupid, but you ain't gonna keep your wicket anyway.

Woodster

International Captain
Rose tinted glasses, I think

Home ground Headingley and he averages 30+ - that's not just average, it's decidedly poor and it's obvious to anyone who watches him bowl

Oz are not in great shape (and that's an understatement if the truth be known) but if our most promising backup was Bresnan then ...

Fortunately, neither of us are in that position

Pick Tremlett and hope that Ponting doesnt wake up IMO

Pick Bresnan and he'll do it in his sleep
Nothing to do with rose tinted mate, just my opinion. You're of the opposite opinion, fair do's.

Then again have heard Warne doesn't rate him, and he's a better judge than both us!:ph34r:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Oh get off it Tremlett would not only walk in but would be your lead bowler. Suck it up.

Warne talks about the problem being his body language and lack of aggression. He certainly has no problem with body language any more and, until we see him in a serious game like the Ashes, we can't really know if that aggression is there. But, in any case, Warne clearly rates him very highly.

if he has the potential to be the numner 1 bowler, how come he cant even make it past finn in the 11? i remember seeign him in a few ODIs in 2005, he had no aggression.
its sad that now at the age of 29, he hasnt discovered that. doubt he'll ever get a long stay- he obviously has the talent, but couldnt cultivate that nastiness and now has a few years to go in his fast bowling career.

people talk about mitchell johnson having no aggression/not being able to bowl- jonson has 166 test wickets. this guy cant even get past finn, who's no big thing himself.

although i must agree, having seen him in the tour match V aus, he will be a real handful on the WACA ground. he could do what ishant did tothem in 08. will love the bounce there, and no matter what, the pitch WILL offer some bounce.

talk of going into the match with bresnan will make me and other aussies very happy. we'll know then, get past anderson, (with swann maybe not on the best deck forspin), and things will be relatively easy

shahzad looks fantastic, anywhere but the waca may have opted for him.

Lets see how tremlett bowls, the so called "best bowler in the world" in the nets- funny that those net sessions never seemed to be enough to warrant him a place recently...
i