• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

pup11

International Coach
Agreed, he does seem more of a bloke who would add insult to injury rather than rescue an innings but in all fairness, he did alright coming in at 5/66 in the Aus A game.
Lets not forget he is replacing North so anything he does would be an improvement. I agree with the sentiment that Smith might find himself to be a bit under the cosh coming into such a crucial game, but the kid has got the x-factor to make things happen, and it would be good to have a bloke like him in the side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed, he does seem more of a bloke who would add insult to injury rather than rescue an innings but in all fairness, he did alright coming in at 5/66 in the Aus A game.
Did not too badly against Pakistan at Leeds, his innings gave the bowlers something to bowl at.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
The first time I saw steve smith play live was a domestic one dayer for nsw.... The top 6 were Warner Hughes Jaques Katich Clarke and haddin they all failed for under 20 i believe and he went on to score 80 or 90 odd in a tricky situation... He's played quite a few good knocks in shield games as well when under the pump....

Much more reliable than our last no 6.....

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a feeling they may go with him just to bowl into the breeze. The fact is he is highly rated by the backroom team and with him having the most international experience i wouldn't be surprised if he got the nod.
Big mistake - Tremlett and Shahzad are both far better bowlers and Bresnan's a very ordinary bat

Broad is a big loss

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Big mistake - Tremlett and Shahzad are both far better bowlers and Bresnan's a very ordinary bat

Broad is a big loss
Hand on heart, don't think Broad's that much better than Tremlett at all. He's just younger, more experienced and less likely to get injured. Assuming Tremlett doesn't break down (either physically or mentally) I actually think he'll offer slightly more with the ball than Broad.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well well well

an attack of bresnan, finn and anderson (Who nipped off to england and back for birth of a child) , with swan maybe not on a wicket too suited for him . doesnt necessarily incite fear.

add to that englands 2nd string bowlers getting a flogging/them seemingly not taking it too seriously (unlike at the start of the series where strauss stressed it wasimperative to treat ALL practice matches porperly and try and WIN every match they played downunder), and adding to that KPs fine for speeding (i saw him on chapel st looked like he didnt have a care in the world)
seems like a bit of taking the foot off the pedal to me .

i dont get the same killer instinct vibe that england reeked of in the past month or so.
one swallow/testmatch doesnt make a summer. quietly confident for aus.
Well we can say the same about your attack, Hilfenhaus and Johnson were failures at Brisbane. Siddle and Harris failures at Adelaide and Beer is a panic selection.

No reason to think they will get the wickets at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
well well well

an attack of bresnan, finn and anderson (Who nipped off to england and back for birth of a child) , with swan maybe not on a wicket too suited for him . doesnt necessarily incite fear.

add to that englands 2nd string bowlers getting a flogging/them seemingly not taking it too seriously (unlike at the start of the series where strauss stressed it wasimperative to treat ALL practice matches porperly and try and WIN every match they played downunder), and adding to that KPs fine for speeding (i saw him on chapel st looked like he didnt have a care in the world)
seems like a bit of taking the foot off the pedal to me .

i dont get the same killer instinct vibe that england reeked of in the past month or so.
one swallow/testmatch doesnt make a summer. quietly confident for aus.
Yeah, England are sure going to miss those two wickets Broad took in the first two tests. Will completely turn the series.

:dry:

social

Hand on heart, don't think Broad's that much better than Tremlett at all. He's just younger, more experienced and less likely to get injured. Assuming Tremlett doesn't break down (either physically or mentally) I actually think he'll offer slightly more with the ball than Broad.
Bolded part is the first problem and a pretty big one judging by the views of guys that have played with him

Second problem is that, assuming that Australia can bowl a couple of straight balls (big assumption, I know), Eng will have a very long tail

Woodster

International Captain
Broad missing the rest of the series is a blow there's no doubt about that, but I think we're in a pretty good position to be able to deal with it. Bresnan, Tremlett and Shahzad all bring their own skills and qualities to the table.

Broad has great stamina able to bowl long spells without losing too much pace. He can put in when the situation demands and find a pace up around 90mph, and has the happy knack of picking up wickets, although not in this series as it turns out. He can turn a game with a few wickets and does pick up big hauls. But in one of Bresnan or Tremlett, who I expect to be the favourites to take his place, I don't think we'll lose too much at all. Tremlett's more of a potential match winner, Bresnan the workhorse that won't let his country down and if there is some reverse swing offer he'll flourish.

social

Lee clambers aboard Warne bandwagon

Now bordering on the farcical

Sometime in the last year or so, I watched Warne bowl in a game at Lords where he'd gotten off a plane from Las Vegas that morning and bowled supremely well

As such, I have absolutely no doubt that he could walk into an Ashes test tomorrow and play a major part

Likewise, Gilchrist would probably do a better job than Haddin, McGrath better than Hilf, etc

HOWEVER, I would be ****ing disgusted if any were offered the opportunity

Man up Australia FFS!

social

Broad missing the rest of the series is a blow there's no doubt about that, but I think we're in a pretty good position to be able to deal with it. Bresnan, Tremlett and Shahzad all bring their own skills and qualities to the table.

Broad has great stamina able to bowl long spells without losing too much pace. He can put in when the situation demands and find a pace up around 90mph, and has the happy knack of picking up wickets, although not in this series as it turns out. He can turn a game with a few wickets and does pick up big hauls. But in one of Bresnan or Tremlett, who I expect to be the favourites to take his place, I don't think we'll lose too much at all. Tremlett's more of a potential match winner, Bresnan the workhorse that won't let his country down and if there is some reverse swing offer he'll flourish.
Bresnan is very average and Tremlett might offer something with the ball ( and it's a BIG question mark) but cant bat - Broad is a big loss

simmy

International Regular
Yeah England are going to miss a bowler who averages more than 35 :laugh:
Broad is a little overrated. We have basically been the much better so far without much contribution from him....

As long as Tremlett/Shahzad keep it tight and allow pressure to build from Jimmy/Swanns end we will be fine :D

Woodster

International Captain
Bresnan is very average and Tremlett might offer something with the ball ( and it's a BIG question mark) but cant bat - Broad is a big loss
Tremlett's probably a better batsman than you think nowadays, I don't agree with you on Bresnan, may have done a few years ago, but now he's improved his skills, he knows what kind of bowler he is, I think he's underrated. Not saying he's one of the best around, but a very good squad member.

social

Tremlett's probably a better batsman than you think nowadays, I don't agree with you on Bresnan, may have done a few years ago, but now he's improved his skills, he knows what kind of bowler he is, I think he's underrated. Not saying he's one of the best around, but a very good squad member.
Seen him bowl a lot, he's an average CC cricketer and it's no surprise that he has done very little of note to date

social

Tremlett would gallop into an Australian XI at the moment.
Aagh no

Oz are sticking with certain players for whatever reason (dont ask me why because I dont have an answer either) but he's not rated despite having all the tools necessary to be successful, I couldnt see him as being more than outside chance

He's not rated at all by either Warne or Clark and, quite frankly, they've played with him and are, in all probabilitiy, far better judges than you or me

Bun

Banned
Aagh no

Oz are sticking with certain players for whatever reason (dont ask me why because I dont have an answer either) but he's not rated despite having all the tools necessary to be successful, I couldnt see him as being more than outside chance

He's not rated at all by either Warne or Clark and, quite frankly, they've played with him and are, in all probabilitiy, far better judges than you or me
He is rated enough by those who matter. :)