• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

howardj

International Coach
Swann and Anderson on current form is the best bowling pair in the world its no surprise Aus is struggling to get 400 barring Ponting there is no other batsman which would get you shaking in the boots.
Among a lean field.

I don't think they're that good that we shouldn't have filled our boots, 1st innings, Adelaide.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Among a lean field.

I don't think they're that good that we shouldn't have filled our boots, 1st innings, Adelaide.
on current form they are very good both are probably at the peaks of their career i don't expect atleast Anderson to bowl this good ever again.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suspect that this England attack is susceptible to conceding quite large first innings scores. If you see off Anderson's new ball spell and the pitch isn't doing anything for Swann, as the bowling attack tires, there's only the game but unpenetrating Collingwood to fall back on for the main bowlers to recuperate. The Aussie batting line-up needs to back itself to make this England attack work for wickets, and if they can put this England attack on the back foot, I'm backing Australia to make a massive comeback (at least with the bat). Unfortunately for Australia, I think they'll need some luck and some bowling conditions with which to take 20 English wickets. I don't think this bowling attack is the one to do it.

social

I suspect that this England attack is susceptible to conceding quite large first innings scores. If you see off Anderson's new ball spell and the pitch isn't doing anything for Swann, as the bowling attack tires, there's only the game but unpenetrating Collingwood to fall back on for the main bowlers to recuperate. The Aussie batting line-up needs to back itself to make this England attack work for wickets, and if they can put this England attack on the back foot, I'm backing Australia to make a massive comeback (at least with the bat). Unfortunately for Australia, I think they'll need some luck and some bowling conditions with which to take 20 English wickets. I don't think this bowling attack is the one to do it.
The English attack could really struggle at Perth under this scenario as they have 3 with the wind fast bowlers and Swann to do the donkey work into the breeze

howardj

International Coach
Good summary mate.

social

Swann and Anderson on current form is the best bowling pair in the world its no surprise Aus is struggling to get 400 barring Ponting there is no other batsman which would get you shaking in the boots.
Hussey averages 50 in tests and Clarke close enough

In terms of quality, those 2 plus Ponting are at least the equal (and Im being pretty generous to the Poms here) of any 3 English batsmen

The all too obvious problem is they havent clicked together for a few years

Spark

Global Moderator

In terms of quality, those 2 plus Ponting are at least the equal (and Im being pretty generous to the Poms here) of any 3 English batsmen

AWTA. Back a few years ago they were undoubtedly the most prolific 3-4-5 combination in the game.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Clarke does not look fully fit while Hussey has been inconsistent till this series not calling them rubbish just does not have the aura of a Dravid,Sachin and Sehwag also they are facing a well balanced in form attack while Poms are up against an attack which seems to get patched up for every game.

howardj

International Coach
Such a high stakes Test match this.

I am cricket lover first and foremost and would love to see a thrilling denouement to this Series - we go to Melbourne locked at 1 Test apiece.

Ruckus

International Captain

I am cricket lover first and foremost and would love to see a thrilling denouement to this Series - we go to Melbourne locked at 1 Test apiece.
At the same time though, if we lose this match, our Ashes campaign is essentially over, and if that happens there might be some radical changes to the line up (again) which could be quite interesting to watch. Would love to see one or more of the following get a go at some point: Khawaja, Dussey, Copeland, Cameron, O'Keefe and Beer (oh wait..).

pup11

International Coach
On the basis of the first two tests, its pretty fair to say that eventhough England have bowled well, they have been helped to a large extent by the lack of application from the Aussie batsman.
None of the English bowlers have actually bowled an unplayble spell or anything, they and their captain have just stayed patient and worked on a precise plan to get a batsman out.
On the other hand don't think most of the Aussie bowlers bowled as badly as its being made out, the thing is Ponting has been too restless in his field placements and tactics and has just lacked the patience Strauss has shown.
I think Tubby summed it up perfectly when he was on air, that Australia have been a bit too 'funky' with their tactics, and that's why they have been a bit all over the shop, and that's something I totally agree with.

Spark

Global Moderator
On the basis of the first two tests, its pretty fair to say that eventhough England have bowled well, they have been helped to a large extent by the lack of application from the Aussie batsman.
None of the English bowlers have actually bowled an unplayble spell or anything, they and their captain have just stayed patient and worked on a precise plan to get a batsman out.
On the other hand don't think most of the Aussie bowlers bowled as badly as its being made out, the thing is Ponting has been too restless in his field placements and tactics and has just lacked the patience Strauss has shown.
I think Tubby summed it up perfectly when he was on air, that Australia have been a bit too 'funky' with their tactics, and that's why they have been a bit all over the shop, and that's something I totally agree with.
Basically agree with all of this.

Just have a standard offside-weighted ring field with 2 or 3 slips and a gully, and ask the bowlers to hit the top of off for an hour or so before you start thinking about more "funky" plans.

pup11

International Coach

I would love that as well but the way things are, can't see how that's possibly going to happen.
Perth once was a fast bowlers paradise, but these days its anything but, also Australia's form in Perth over the last three seasons isn't something that evokes great hope.....
So the best case scenario for Australia in Perth is probably a draw, unless the form of the whole Australian team turns around dramatically...

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
watson
hughes
ponting
clarke
hussey
smith
haddin
harris
johnson
siddle
beer

look, there are matchwinners in this team.
i love the look of hughes, and his demeanor in interviews. he seems confident and he has an x factor. people say he has a technique not great for test cricket, but hell so do a lot of openers these days, sehwag etc. cook is weak when its pitchedup and look at him so far.

hughes has some aggression, intensity, hunger. who knows, i wouldnt write australia off. theyre not zimbabwe- ie a team devoid of skill. theyre some good players who are playing **** as a team

watson, ponting, hussey, clarke probably all need to fire witth the bat to avoid DEFEAT, and the quicks need to bowl very well.

siddle and johnson arent complete rubbish. jonsons is a mental game, i dont believe the whole 'worked out' thing would turn his average from 28 to 60 or whatever. a week away from the game may be ok.

the long layoff suits australia. they just need to want to win more. england are no india.

anderson and swann are very good. finn and tremlett are not world class. there are weaknesses in englands team, they are by no means certainties

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
dang, you sub d hussey for smith, and okeefe for beer, the team is not half bad!

watson
hughes
ponting
clarke
hussey
hussey
haddin
okeefe
harris
johnson
siddle

ahhhh, one can only dream

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
strauss
cook
trott
pietersen
collingwood
bell
prior
swann
anderson
tremlett
finn

5 of the top 6 are good-very good(pietersen) players in good form with confidence

prior, collingood, tremlett and finn canbe targetted. strauss hasntbeen in great formbut is leading well. pietersen, bell and cook are the dangers.

england are a very good team, but as i said, not unbeatable. get a few of their good performers so far, cheaply, and who knows. will also be interesting to see anderson on the waca. i think he may be a handful with the new ball (As always but moreso on a pitch with bounce)

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
zaheer and harbhajan have done well to take india to number one considerign they have no alrounder, and their other 2 bowlers are ****

steyn and morkel great too.

asif and aamir? oh....what a shame :ph34r: