• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I agree, but O'Keefe is better than Doherty so why pick the Tasmanian in the first place?

You might have the right idea but your selectors don't as i don't think they have been picking the best 4 bowlers anyway, if they are going to pick lesser bowlers they may as well pick ones who can bat too.
Well in this case I would have picked O'Keefe anyway, but not because he can bat. Actually Hauritz is a bit stiff really. Smith is a bit of bits and pieces player at the moment, i'm sure he will do well in time though, certainly not the worst Australian selection recently.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Aussie Selectors can go and get ****ed :ph34r:

Congratulations England on winning the Ashes, great team effort with excellent management of a stable team....hopefully we'll do better in 2013

aussie tragic

International Captain
bahahahahahahahaha
well **** it, with talent like Khawaja, Ferguson, Copeland, Cameron and O'Keefe available without being selected, Aussies deserve to be smacked...

..and even Hauritz, averaging over 31 with bat and under 27 with ball....friggin madness

I have watched cricket for over 30 years and never felt this way....crap performance is all because of the Selectors rather than the players

Last edited:

simmy

International Regular
5 FC matches... aged 26 years old. How can he even be considered? This is shambolic...

At least when we picked Darren Pattinson he had actually bowled more than 200 overs....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The people who should have been dropped for this test are the selectors. Honestly, what more did Hauritz have to do to win back his spot? Stupid, stupid decision not to select him.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Could do worse than throw in Copeland and Cameron at the moment, I rate both of them. As one eyed a West Aussie supporter as I am, North had to go. Nic Maddinson anyone ?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could do worse than throw in Copeland and Cameron at the moment, I rate both of them. As one eyed a West Aussie supporter as I am, North had to go. Nic Maddinson anyone ?
As i said the other day though, it might benefit them not to come in during this series as the side is a shambles and if they didn't do well they may never get another chance. If they were picked for the next series under a new captain/selectors they may get a better opportunity.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
You could have a point there, but then it could reignite the team. I'm going for the former.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For all the digs at Monty, he would walk into the Australia team
Monty is no better bowler than Hauritz and, if he had to play in Oz conditions, almost certainly worse

Plus, as an overall package, he's not in the same league

He would undoubtedly have got a game at some point but I seriously doubt that he'd be the long term answer

Redbacks

International Captain
surely one set of fans will be chanting "more beer, more beer...." during the test match. Most likely the Barmy Army.

JBH001

International Regular
The selection of Beer is a bitter brew for Hauritz to swallow. He surely deserved selection.

Woodster

International Captain
Yet another staggering spin selection from the Aussies, who knows what Hauritz has to do, or is it a case of the Aussie selectors being stupidly stubborn in not turning back to him so soon after they dropped him. A left field choice to replace Doherty, there seems absolutely no method to any of these spin selections so far in this series. Looks like pure guesswork with the bowling attack in general, just hoping one of them takes the series by storm.

Don't want to speak too soon by suggesting Smith's inclusion will have no effect, but I am quietly pleased about his selection, although I suppose North had used up all his chances.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Just had a long and boozy lunch and basically the only thing I can say is "WTF"

The good news is that Beer is rated by some

They're in, he's out, I'm baffled: more chops and changes not the fix

The bad news is that his selection has made a total mockery of the fc system in Oz and has, in my mind, cheapened the baggy green

However, assuming that Beer will play and can at least hold up an end, why pick Smith?

If Smith isnt going to be called upon to do huge amounts of bowling, then why not pick the best batting candidate for 6

If that was the case, somebody else {insert any of about 5 suspects here} would be playing

As it stands, a combination of Hauritz or O'Keefe and Khawaja/Ferguson/Dussey/Marsh etc looks so much stronger on paper that it borders on the ridiculous
I agree, i would have liked to see Khawaja or Dave Hussey in there at 6. But if Beer struggles, Smith may do more bowling at the WACA then they are presently planning. Smith was also likely to play at least in Sydney as a second spinner, so after picking someone else they would be dropping them almost straight away. Smith also batted well in the Aust A game so that may have been taken into account.

Ofcourse if the Australia A game was taken into account O'Keefe would be in the side...

howardj

International Coach
It was confirmed last night that:

- Beer will play
- Smith will bat at six.

Batting Smith rather than Haddin at six is a good move for several reasons. First, people will judge Smith more as a batting allrounder than if he was batting lower down. This is good, as he is more of a batsman at the moment I feel. Secondly, Haddin I believe may bat with less freedom at six. Smith also wants to bat at six.

howardj

International Coach
Anyway, eight wickets in the just-completed Shield match, and a breezy 48 not out in the 2nd innings. What more do people want from a 21 year old punk! He's going to be a star, Steve Smith.

Woodster

International Captain
It was confirmed last night that:

- Beer will play
- Smith will bat at six.

Batting Smith rather than Haddin at six is a good move for several reasons. First, people will judge Smith more as a batting allrounder than if he was batting lower down. This is good, as he is more of a batsman at the moment I feel. Secondly, Haddin I believe may bat with less freedom at six. Smith also wants to bat at six.
Scandalous really that Smith goes in above Haddin, although it ensures the tail doesn't start at 7 should Haddin move up to 6.