Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 42 of 341 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: *Official* Third Test at the WACA

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Nah nah you've got it wrong. TumTum is like a cricketing nostradamus, he knows. Once predicted something about a T20 tournament didn't you know?
    Not to mention the fact that TumTum has admitted that he has been following cricket properly for only a year.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    As a hypothetical, what would people actually prefer: for us to win the Ashes with the same, familiar team and these players to be retained because of that for a long time afterwards, or for us to lose the Ashes resulting in whatever you would consider the optimal team being established afterwards due to the defeat.
    This
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    As a hypothetical, what would people actually prefer: for us to win the Ashes with the same, familiar team and these players to be retained because of that for a long time afterwards, or for us to lose the Ashes resulting in whatever you would consider the optimal team being established afterwards due to the defeat.
    Can't see how this is even a choice. I'd never want the team to lose just to see the back of an individual I don't like. Under no circumstances can losing be a good thing. No two people will probably agree on the optimal team anyway.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Can't see how this is even a choice. I'd never want the team to lose just to see the back of an individual I don't like. Under no circumstances can losing be a good thing. No two people will probably agree on the optimal team anyway.
    Yeah, silly question. The only person who would rather lose just so the people he doesn't like get dropped is Cribbage.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yeah, silly question. The only person who would rather lose just so the people he doesn't like get dropped is Cribbage.
    Yeah, and that's only because I don't really follow anyone at Test level.

Wouldn't want NSW to lose to get someone dropped from the team, tbh.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

What if you genuinely believed it would result in success for the team in the long-run? What if Australia (or anyone) losing a certain series would create such an uproar that it would lead to what you believed were the right policies/players/selections/tactics which would result in your team rising up the rankings?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    It's a hyptothetical dude, it doesn't have to be realistic. Let me clarify what I meant though, because what you and benchmark are saying isn't what I was implying. I meant if you assume the familiar team (with North, Hauritz, Johnson, Siddle, Hilf etc.) is NOT the best team available to Australia (which I think most would agree with), would you rather this team wins the Ashes and remains the primary test team for a long period of time, OR, this team loses the Ashes and changes are made afterwards making it the best team available to Australia (or at least what the majority considers the best team).

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    It's a hyptothetical dude, it doesn't have to be realistic. Let me clarify what I meant though, because what you and benchmark are saying isn't what I was implying. I meant if you assume the familiar team (with North, Hauritz, Johnson, Siddle, Hilf etc.) is NOT the best team available to Australia (which I think most would agree with), would you rather this team wins the Ashes and remains the primary test team for a long period of time, OR, this team loses the Ashes and changes are made afterwards making it the best team available to Australia (or at least what the majority considers the best team).
    I don't see the difference between this post and your original.

My response remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What if you genuinely believed it would result in success for the team in the long-run? What if Australia (or anyone) losing a certain series would create such an uproar that it would lead to what you believed were the right policies/players/selections/tactics which would result in your team rising up the rankings?
    Hard to know that though. It's a bit of a stretch to ever say you think losing a series would be good for a team. And as far as Australian/English cricket is concerned, it's almost impossible if that series is the Ashes.

Banned
    Tbh DeusEx if those are the guys that win you the Ashes, they would have to perform really well. And if they are performing, I have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Tbh DeusEx if those are the guys that win you the Ashes, they would have to perform really well. And if they are performing, I have no problem with it.
    You don't need eleven players performing to win the Ashes though. It could happen on the back of Australia's good players really finding their feet and performing at the peak. It could even happen on the back of a couple of random Marcus North hundreds - wouldn't mean North's the best option carrying forward though, would it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You don't need eleven players performing to win the Ashes though. It could happen on the back of Australia's good players really finding their feet and performing at the peak. It could even happen on the back of a couple of random Marcus North hundreds - wouldn't mean North's the best option carrying forward though, would it?
    We are 1-0 behind, for us to win almost everyone has to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    I guess it could be framed in another way:

Would you prefer this sub-optimal team wins the Ashes, but loses more series' after the Ashes (because they can't maintain the high level of performance), or that this sub-optimal team loses the Ashes, and as such a better team is compiled which wins more series' after the Ashes?

I guess it could be framed in another way:

Would you prefer this sub-optimal team wins the Ashes, but loses more series' after the Ashes (because they can't maintain the high level of performance), or that this sub-optimal team loses the Ashes, and as such a better team is compiled which wins more series' after the Ashes?
    That's a much better question.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    That's a much better question.
    Well tbh, it's exactly what I meant in the first place, I probably just didn't word it well enough.

Thread Information