• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

iamdavid

International Debutant
He bowled pretty well in India though imo, got lots of drift and some turn. It's just that the Indian batsman were too good.
Lol what series were you watching? He was absolutely terrible, granted the wickets there don't really suit him, he's at his best when there's a little more pace in the pitch. But he was overpitching several times per over and was never able to build any pressure at all, he turned the ball a fair bit by his standards, but big turn is never going to be his thing, he relies on accuracy and it deserted him in India.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yes, I'd like to see Shaz play - being from Yorkshire, he is inherently superior - but it seems Tremlett is ahead of him in the order, having made the original 16-man squad. I don't mind that either.

I'd actually quite like to see England go in with five bowlers. If the pitches and Aussie bowling are anything to go by, runs are not going to be too much of a problem. We also can't rely on the Aussies to give wickets away. Bowling 5 will both increase our options and, in the face of back-to-back Tests, will help protect against injury.

Having not contributed much, Collingwood, with 46 runs out of England's 1397, would be the man to go. Prior is a capable #6 and Bresnan is an underrated batsman IMO.

5. Bell
6. Prior
7. Bresnan
8. Swann
9. Tremlett / Shahzad

pup11

International Coach
Pretty disturbed to hear Warney suggesting that we should pick Beer for the 3rd test because he is a local player, hope it doesn't happen but something tells me that's exactly what's gonna happen....
Anyways the only good thing to come out of the Adeliade test for Australia is the injury of Broad. Eventhough England have decent bowlers on the fringes, Broad's injury is certainly gonna unsettle their attack and Australia should try to make full use of this situation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, Warney used to play with Beery at St Kilda in Melbourne, reckon there's a bit of "looking after your mates" there. He'd know better than most that Beery wouldn't have that much local knowledge at this stage.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, I'd like to see Shaz play - being from Yorkshire, he is inherently superior - but it seems Tremlett is ahead of him in the order, having made the original 16-man squad. I don't mind that either.

I'd actually quite like to see England go in with five bowlers. If the pitches and Aussie bowling are anything to go by, runs are not going to be too much of a problem. We also can't rely on the Aussies to give wickets away. Bowling 5 will both increase our options and, in the face of back-to-back Tests, will help protect against injury.

Having not contributed much, Collingwood, with 46 runs out of England's 1397, would be the man to go. Prior is a capable #6 and Bresnan is an underrated batsman IMO.

5. Bell
6. Prior
7. Bresnan
8. Swann
9. Tremlett / Shahzad
Where you from in Yorkshire mate?

kingkallis

International Coach
Tremlett will be a better replacement here as he hits the deck pretty well and will love bowling @ WACA.

pup11

International Coach
Lol what series were you watching? He was absolutely terrible, granted the wickets there don't really suit him, he's at his best when there's a little more pace in the pitch. But he was overpitching several times per over and was never able to build any pressure at all, he turned the ball a fair bit by his standards, but big turn is never going to be his thing, he relies on accuracy and it deserted him in India.
I think Hauritz bowled all right for most part of the series, it were the tactics employed that let him down there. Also there was nothing wrong with the conditions and had he been given better fields he would have done much better, and this is also something likes of MSD too have said.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think Hauritz bowled all right for most part of the series, it were the tactics employed that let him down there. Also there was nothing wrong with the conditions and had he been given better fields he would have done much better, and this is also something likes of MSD too have said.
I agree Ponting didn't handle him particularly well, and if the talk of him being asked to tinker with his action is true then I'm sure that didn't do him any favours either...But did Ponting instruct him to bowl two loopy half-volleys per over to Tendulkar and Vijay in Bangalore? I think he bowled poorly regardless of what spin you put on it.

Whether the performance in India (and the Shield match here in November where Dussey took to him) warranted him being dropped is another matter.

pup11

International Coach
I agree Ponting didn't handle him particularly well, and if the talk of him being asked to tinker with his action is true then I'm sure that didn't do him any favours either...But did Ponting instruct him to bowl two loopy half-volleys per over to Tendulkar and Vijay in Bangalore? I think he bowled poorly regardless of what spin you put on it.

Whether the performance in India (and the Shield match here in November where Dussey took to him) warranted him being dropped is another matter.
There has been talk that he was asked him to bowl similar to Harbhajan, which was a stupid idea to start with and recently he also mentioned how he lost his action for sometime, so not surprising that he was a bit all over the shop in India, which is usually not the case with him.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Attitude is temporary though. It is quite possible that he has become extra determined to get back into the team and as such has produced some good performances. However, once he gets back into the team you can't rely on that lasting. Also, how he will peform is far more dependant on simply how he is a bowler, 'mental' aspects can only improve your performance to a certain degree.
Nah you've missed the point. I'm not talking about general attitude, I'm talking about attitude towards bowling, whether it be an increase or decrease in attackingness - giving it more or less flight, trying to rip it more or not etc.

I think Hauritz is the best bet for the WACA given the general assumption that the selectors aren't going to go back to Krejza, or pick O'Keefe who plays grade cricket when Hauritz is back.

Please don't pick Beer.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting blog post from King Cricket. Doesn't suggest anything too radical, notes that Australia have pretty much hit rock bottom and the series can't stay like this.

On Doug Bollinger:

"Doug Bollinger took a wicket, but being as he created cracking footholes for Graeme Swann, he was probably responsible for more Australian wickets and therefore represented a net loss. Drop him and replace him with no-one and Australia have already improved their team."

Leeds.

Not stalking him, I swear.

Promise.
Huh. Good to know.

Jacknife

International Captain

5. Bell
6. Prior
7. Bresnan
8. Swann
9. Tremlett / Shahzad
Like you I'm from Yorkshire and have watched Yorkshire quite a few times through the season and would love for him to play, but I can't agree about Shahzad being a inherently better bowler. He's the kind of bowler that when he gets it right is really useful, but he can be incredibly inconsistent, to many times for Yorkshire this year, he disappeared when he was needed and to be honest, the form he showed towards the end of the year, he's lucky to be touring with England. I'd have to put Tremlett ahead of him, in the Aus A match he looked the most consistent through the two innings, he was also getting some nice reverse swing,as well as a nasty bouncer and showed great accuracy.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Like you I'm from Yorkshire and have watched Yorkshire quite a few times through the season and would love for him to play, but I can't agree about Shahzad being a inherently better bowler. He's the kind of bowler that when he gets it right is really useful, but he can be incredibly inconsistent, to many times for Yorkshire this year, he disappeared when he was needed and to be honest, the form he showed towards the end of the year, he's lucky to be touring with England. I'd have to put Tremlett ahead of him, in the Aus A match he looked the most consistent through the two innings, he was also getting some nice reverse swing,as well as a nasty bouncer and showed great accuracy.
Tbh I was just joking when I claimed he is inherently superior. I wouldn't really have any issue with Tremlett playing ahead of him, and would be happy with either.

I do think it is a legitimate option to start playing 5 bowlers on a regular basis with Bresnan in the extra role, especially given the look of the pitches on this tour.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Broad was available then possibly yes, but none of the bowlers are number 7 material, so going with 3 relative bunnies when we don't actually need 5 bowlers most of the time (thanks to Swann's ability) would be a bit silly.

Jacknife

International Captain
If Broad was available then possibly yes, but none of the bowlers are number 7 material, so going with 3 relative bunnies when we don't actually need 5 bowlers most of the time (thanks to Swann's ability) would be a bit silly.
Yes I agree, Nick Knight was suggesting a similar line up on Sky, saying he would drop Colly and bring in Bresnan and Tremlett.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No way we're playing five bowlers. Headingley, etc...

Tremmers is my call tho. With Hughes likely to come in for the Katman and his issues with well-directed short-pitched stuff a matter of record, there's no better chap to exploit them than one who's 6' 8".

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. And also, what if Australia spice the pitches up - they are the home team, and also behind in the series.

flibbertyjibber

No way we're playing five bowlers. Headingley, etc...

Tremmers is my call tho. With Hughes likely to come in for the Katman and his issues with well-directed short-pitched stuff a matter of record, there's no better chap to exploit them than one who's 6' 8".
We don't need to play 5 bowlers now. 3 draws will do us very nicely thanks. Be great to win another couple of games but we don't need to weaken the batting trying to force a win we don't need.