Page 2 of 341 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 5106

Thread: *Official* Third Test at the WACA

  1. #16
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You're not seriously suggesting playing North as a specialist spinner are you? Geez, I at least was just having a bit of a laugh, but...
    Yeah? He has proved he is as good as any of our 'specialist spinners'. His FC average is the same as Hauritz's...

  2. #17
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,805
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    How bout this line-up for the WACA:

    Watson
    Katich
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Khawaja
    North (spinner)
    Haddin
    Johnson (in for Siddle because of his extra pace)
    Harris
    Bollinger
    Is johnson going to play any FC matches beforehand? Otherwise I don't see the point of bringing him back
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  3. #18
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Yeah? He has proved he is as good as any of our 'specialist spinners'. His FC average is the same as Hauritz's...
    Hauritz is a better spinner than North. North's not bad, but Hauritz is better.

    In any case, if you must pick a spinner... O'Keefe.

    And I don't see the logic in dropping the one bowler who has actually performed in this series.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  4. #19
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Is johnson going to play any FC matches beforehand? Otherwise I don't see the point of bringing him back
    No idea, but I just feel he would be more potent at the WACA than Siddle.


  5. #20
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Hauritz is a better spinner than North. North's not bad, but Hauritz is better.

    In any case, if you must pick a spinner... O'Keefe.

    And I don't see the logic in dropping the one bowler who has actually performed in this series.
    Wasn't talking about O'Keefe, because I know he isn't in contention. Out of Hauritz and North though it is pretty debatable who is better tbh. There really isn't that much in it, and because North is obviously the far better batsmen that gives him the advantage. Also, yes Siddle performed in the first innings at the Gabba but he hasn't done much since. Scored a century though.

    Feel Johnson's pace would go well at the WACA.

  6. #21
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    No, I don't think it's debatable. North's bowling is good but Hauritz's is simply better. North has the advantage of being able to not have to bowl when he knows he isn't bowling well, Hauritz doesn't.

  7. #22
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    No, I don't think it's debatable. North's bowling is good but Hauritz's is simply better. North has the advantage of being able to not have to bowl when he knows he isn't bowling well, Hauritz doesn't.
    Given that neither of them are particularly good anyway, and North is most likely going to be retained in the team irrespective of how he performs this match, his involvement in the team might as well be put to better use by allowing another batsmen to come in. Don't think you could really argue that Hauritz's spin would provide any advantage over North's spin + his batting + another batsmen in the team.

  8. #23
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    I'm saying that Hauritz would be a more useful specialist spinner than North.

    Sorry, but retaining North as a specialist spinner is just plain stupid. It was a joke, you're taking it way too seriously.

  9. #24
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I'm saying that Hauritz would be a more useful specialist spinner than North.

    Sorry, but retaining North as a specialist spinner is just plain stupid. It was a joke, you're taking it way too seriously.
    I didn't even see your post??? I thought it was a good idea myself. "Plain stupid" is your opinion, and I disagree. Seeing as though we don't have an exceptional specialist spinner, their role in the team is not that important. North can cover the 'lesser' aspects of spin bowling. The attack of this team at this stage will always be dependant on our quicks, and shouldn't rely on a spinner.

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    17,900
    Word on the street is that S Marsh will debut at his home ground in the 3rd Test.

  11. #26
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I didn't even see your post??? I thought it was a good idea myself. "Plain stupid" is your opinion, and I disagree. Seeing as though we don't have an exceptional specialist spinner, their role in the team is not that important. North can cover the 'lesser' aspects of spin bowling. The attack of this team at this stage will always be dependant on our quicks, and shouldn't rely on a spinner.
    It might be an idea, but not a very good one.

    Did we learn nothing from Cameron White's inclusion in the Australian team.

    You pick 4 specialist bowlers, including one specialist spinner. That man has to be one of Hauritz or O'Keefe.

  12. #27
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    It might be an idea, but not a very good one.

    Did we learn nothing from Cameron White's inclusion in the Australian team.

    You pick 4 specialist bowlers, including one specialist spinner. That man has to be one of Hauritz or O'Keefe.
    Nothing more to add than this. AWTA.

  13. #28
    International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Word on the street is that S Marsh will debut at his home ground in the 3rd Test.
    God I hope not...

    I think the best team Australia could pick for Perth would be -

    Watson
    Katich (Hughes if he's unfit)
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Hussey
    Haddin
    O'Keefe/Hauritz
    Harris
    Hilfenhaus
    Bollinger

    I know Siddle was great in the first dig in Brisbane, but he's been pedestrian since, and I just feel that Hilf compliments Doug and Harris better and that he's got more to fall back on as a test bowler at this stage.

  14. #29
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    It might be an idea, but not a very good one.

    Did we learn nothing from Cameron White's inclusion in the Australian team.

    You pick 4 specialist bowlers, including one specialist spinner. That man has to be one of Hauritz or O'Keefe.
    I would be all for picking O'Keefe, because he looks promising with the ball and the bat. But I wasn't talking about him because it seems at this stage very unlikely he will even come under consideration. Furthermore, the whole premise of having North as the 'main' spinner is because it is assumed he will be retained in the team. As this test has shown, it is our batting which is the main problem atm, hence making North the main spinner allows his position to be of better value, and allows another batsmen into the middle order. Once again, you cannot possibly argue that having Hauritz as the main spinner and North as the no. 6 would be better than having North as the main spinner and an extra proper batsmen (e.g. Khawaja).

    Compare the line-ups, which one do you think would be more likely to succeed:


    1.

    Watson
    Katich
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Khawaja
    North (spinner)
    Haddin
    Fast bowler
    Fast bowler
    Fast bowler

    2.

    Watson
    Katich
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    North
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Fast bowler
    Fast bowler
    Fast bowler

  15. #30
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Should sucker punch them with David Warner and Watson opening the batting imo.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

Page 2 of 341 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Test Cricket World Champion (idea)
    By testfreak in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-03-2010, 08:13 AM
  2. **Official** England in New Zealand
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6035
    Last Post: 17-04-2008, 01:38 PM
  3. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •