• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You do realise that he's English, lives in England and has one of his major contracts with an England-based company?
I just don't like him much. :p

Funny, because I liked him a lot when I first heard him. He really grates these days.

Ruckus

International Captain
The problem obviously with Johnson is can he maintain this form? Can he permanently keep his action so it's producing consistent swing? We all know he is capable of these spells, but he has got to keep it going.

hazsa19

International Regular
TMS are reporting that an Australian betting site have paid out $400,000 worth of bets on England to retain the Ashes!

Checkmate

School Boy/Girl Captain
Series back in the balance if they win. Right now? Advantage Australia in the match. But they still don't have that many runs to defend.
Yea but say Mitch didn't have that spell. It's likely England would have gotten around 350 in their first innings and the Ashes were all but retained.

chalky

International Debutant
he averaged 30 in that ashes series

ok pakistan series + 1 india match and in brisbane

brilliant or ___ isnt true. he was a very consistent performer the 2-3 years before that .

it is possible for bowlers to have lulls. just like batsman. i think a bowler whos played 39 tests and done as well as he has deserves more respect than 'brilliant or ___'
he is a gun who was in very poor form and lost his technique.
You think he bowled well in the last Ashes? Don't know anyone else who does tbh.

I'm sorry but from what I've seen the last word I would use with Johnson is consistent. If he clicks like today or Headingly he can win you a game if he doesn't click it is so bad can lose you a game like at Lords. Again from what I've seen looks very little inbetween.

vcs

Series back in the balance if they win. Right now? Advantage Australia in the match. But they still don't have that many runs to defend.
Yep, Australia are just starting to undo some of their bad work from yesterday.

tooextracool

International Coach
The thing about Johnson is that he's not getting the ball to swing consistently and thats making him 4x as dangerous because even he doesnt seem to know which one is going to swing back and which one isnt. Its hard for a batter to get into position for that.

chalky

International Debutant
The problem obviously with Johnson is can he maintain this form? Can he permanently keep his action so it's producing consistent swing? We all know he is capable of these spells, but he has got to keep it going.
Do you think he needs pitches with a bit of juice in them thinking of success in South Africa, Perth & Headingly?

flibbertyjibber

Key for England is seeing off the Johnson burst after lunch, the rest of the attack look ordinary in comparison. The thing with Johnson though is will he be able to repeat it?

Still think we will get a lead and win the match.

chalky

International Debutant
Nooooo Sky showing Gilly's 100 from Perth 4 years ago can't watch it find it even more painful than Adelaide.

Burgey

The thing about Johnson is that he's not getting the ball to swing consistently and thats making him 4x as dangerous because even he doesnt seem to know which one is going to swing back and which one isnt. Its hard for a batter to get into position for that.
This. But today he knows where he's putting them, and he's putting them in great areas.

Ruckus

International Captain
Do you think he needs pitches with a bit of juice in them thinking of success in South Africa, Perth & Headingly?
That's definately helps, but he obviously still doesn't really know what his action is. In recent times he has mentioned how was trying too hard to swing the ball, and by keeping things simple and hitting the deck hard he will get results. But Johnson is only ever a really good bowler when he is trying to swing the ball, and I think that's what his time off with Troy Cooley has been all about. If he can somehow mentally acknowledge this is how he should be trying to bowl every game, he could be up there with the worlds best.

thierry henry

International Coach
yeah this. That's why I mentioned that one over to Bell where he didn't really swing it... he came off a couple of overs of massive swing and then bowled an over where a couple were dead straight and a couple swung a little bit. I couldn't see any difference in action or release. Very difficult for the batsman.