• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure about Watson as an opener itbt. He's consistent enough in the amount of half centuries he's scored, but he hasn't been able to convert enough of them into centuries for mine. I think in time he will better off down the order, but I would leave him there for the time being, even moreso with Katich out.
Factoid: Watson has played nine Ashes innings, and every single one has been between 30 and 62.

Marcus North, meanwhile, has never played an Ashes innings worth between 30 and 96.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hughes 4, Smith 8 - I'm astounded still by the number of people picking Smith to bat in the top 6 for Australia.

pskov

International 12th Man
Factoid: Watson has played nine Ashes innings, and every single one has been between 30 and 62.

Marcus North, meanwhile, has never played an Ashes innings worth between 30 and 96.
Obviously Australia need to pick Shamus Northson - he also has the added ability of bowling both easy paced seam and inoffensive off-spin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Obviously Australia need to pick Shamus Northson - he also has the added ability of bowling both easy paced seam and inoffensive off-spin.
They need to stray away from Marcane Watorth though - a man who rarely gets a start, never converts when he does and maintains a Sobers-like insistence on bowling spin on seam-friendly surfaces and seam on spin-friendly surfaces.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't forget Marcane Warth, though he is noted for rarerly getting to 30 and even then getting out in the 50s. Also, he only bowls half-track pie offies, except when bowling seam up, in which case he bowls 75mph non-swing three feet outside off.

Edit: Damn you Prince.

howardj

International Coach
Hughes 4, Smith 8 - I'm astounded still by the number of people picking Smith to bat in the top 6 for Australia.
Because he averages more than 45 in FC cricket
Already has a Test 50
Is a great field
Is a very promising leggie
Has a real buzz about him

With Haddin in the team, why not have Smith at six? I am more astounded that people think he is a worth a place in the team at 8.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Because he averages more than 45 in FC cricket
Already has a Test 50
Is a great field
Is a very promising leggie
Has a real buzz about him

With Haddin in the team, why not have Smith at six? I am more astounded that people think he is a worth a place in the team at 8.
- He does not average over 45 in First Class Cricket..
- Yep one 50 from 4 attempts. That would be an okay return if we managed to look semi decent in his 3 other innings. He didn't look good at all and he was batting down at 8!
- Great fielder for sure, probably the best in the country.
- Yeah he's leggie's might be okay for a few overs, but at Perth against this English attack, I don't think so.
- The buzz is not warranted, that's my whole point.
- My next negative is that he's averaging under 25 this Shield Season with the bat.

Woodster

International Captain
Real shame for both Broad and Katich to now be missing the rest of this series. Much of Broad's good work went unrewarded in the first two Tests, and I thought he bowled very well with the new ball in Australia's second innings in Adelaide. His potential of runs at 8 will also be missed.

Katich bravely battled through that last Test, he's 35 now, so will be interersting to see if he can work his way back into the side, guess it will depend on how Hughes, or whoever, does as his replacement.

Sylvester

State Captain
- He does not average over 45 in First Class Cricket..
- Yep one 50 from 4 attempts. That would be an okay return if we managed to look semi decent in his 3 other innings. He didn't look good at all and he was batting down at 8!
- Great fielder for sure, probably the best in the country.
- Yeah he's leggie's might be okay for a few overs, but at Perth against this English attack, I don't think so.
- The buzz is not warranted, that's my whole point.
- My next negative is that he's averaging under 25 this Shield Season with the bat.
Aveaged 78 last season with 4 100s the most of any batsmen. We just writing that off for his poor start to the season off the back of 2.5 matches? Add to that he just scored a 70 in his last innings and made 59 against England A. If we want to go on the back of 2 matches then Khawaja is averaging 19 in that same period.

Who really cares if he looks good or not, he gets the runs on the board and that is what matters. Again refer to his runs against England A, the Pakistan bowling attack and last season.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Aveaged 78 last season with 4 100s the most of any batsmen. We just writing that off for his poor start to the season off the back of 2.5 matches? Add to that he just scored a 70 in his last innings and made 59 against England A. If we want to go on the back of 2 matches then Khawaja is averaging 19 in that same period.

Who really cares if he looks good or not, he gets the runs on the board and that is what matters. Again refer to his runs against England A, the Pakistan bowling attack and last season.
Awta, not sure how good a leggie he is, though can't be much worse than X.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

That 70 wasn't his last innings, he scored 8 today.

Yep he scored 59 against England A, he also scored a duck in that match. I actually can't believe you are using that match as justification for him to be batting in the top 6 for Australia.

He batted at number 7 in the A game behind Tim Paine and everyone in Australia rates Brad Haddin a superior batter over Paine, so it defies logic to move Smith up the order.

Also as a side note, I watched one of centuries at the Gabba and it was a nice innings after all the hard work had been done by Khawaja. The problem is James Hopes dropped a sitter that day at mid on and I just can't see the English doing something like that..

Sylvester

State Captain
That 70 wasn't his last innings, he scored 8 today.

Yep he scored 59 against England A, he also scored a duck in that match. I actually can't believe you are using that match as justification for him to be batting in the top 6 for Australia.

He batted at number 7 in the A game behind Tim Paine and everyone in Australia rates Brad Haddin a superior batter over Paine, so it defies logic to move Smith up the order.
Fine 70 in his last match. And I'm not using his 59 as justification of him batting 6 for Australia, that just helps the case. Again refer to runs against Pakistan attack of Asif, Aamer and Gul and his 700 odd runs last season at 70. As for batting behind Paine, batting orders don't mean much Watson was behind a heap of players when he batted at 8 now hes opening. Plus do you trust what our selectors are doing half the time? Smith has done what Paine is yet to do in his career and that is make 4 100s in one season and average 78.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Am I the only one who views Steve Smith as a younger version of Cam White? Smith has a lot of potential with the bat, but I don't think his bowling is there yet.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
--------------either
a) Haddin
Smith

b) Dussey
Haddin

Harris
Hauritz
Siddle or Cameron or Copeland
Bollinger

North is out, but has to be replaced by someone who can provide a few overs because Clarke can't anymore and Watson really shouldn't bowl more then 10 an innings. Dussey or Smith, two ways to go both can bowl a little bit to chew up overs, both have good records, I'm slightly for Dussey but both would be good and better then North, I don't care how old Dussey is at this point. Katich injured so Hughes obvious pick up, give him a chance, out of form for a while but he is so full of promise, he battles despite looking ****, did that for Aus A and in his last test, he deserves the spot so hard.

Hauritz in for X, got no other options, scored a 5-fer at Perth, should do something in the shield match second innings. Back Bollinger, seems to be on the recovery, long gap between tests should hopefully be fine.

Whos not going in the team? Marsh, because he has done nothing for 11 years and threatens form occasionally, surely the only reason he'd be getting picked is on hope, hope that he's nearing that age where batsman seem to peak and he will, but **** him he can go average 60 this season with a few more centuries and then come back, same goes for Ferguson.