• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Getting increasingly depressed by the continued failure of Ponting and Clarke. Just... why? :(
The bowling's too good for Ponting. He's not God anymore so bowlers are allowed to be simply too good for him.

Runs will come for Clarke imo. Just needs to start edging the straight ones and missing the wide ones.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Meh, he plays some of the best knocks of his career and I'm wrong for doubting him before he has played them. Jeez.

Prior is still the better bat imo.
Calm down eh.

benchmark's post was fairly similar to some of the ones you've made RE Swann & Anderson, after all.

Where were you before anyway, thought you'd have been all over this one :D

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Johnson looked alright, but so he should at this level really. Pace was still a bit half rat powerish (by his standards) but he swung it a bit. Maybe the penny has finally dropped, or maybe it hasn't, he was still having a go at the batsmen when he should probably just stfu after the year he's just had and try to get wickets.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Prior is a far superior keeper by the way. Lucky for Haddin he's making runs or Paine would be in by now

Spark

Global Moderator
The bowling's too good for Ponting. He's not God anymore so bowlers are allowed to be simply too good for him.
If the shot he played today constitutes "Ponting get a ball too good for him" then I'm really worried.

Runs will come for Clarke imo. Just needs to start edging the straight ones and missing the wide ones.
I thought the Adelaide innings was the spark Clarke needed, as he looked, if not quite at his SA 07/08 or Ashes 09 form, at least in reasonable nick with his footwork against pace. But his innings today was shocking. It wasn't just the ball he nicked, the four wasn't much better and he played one awful-looking drive to mid off. Somehow those two managed to come off the middle but it couldn't, and didn't, last.

It's just depressing seeing the two players I enjoy watching the most be so unspeakably terrible.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prior is a far superior keeper by the way. Lucky for Haddin he's making runs or Paine would be in by now
Haddin's keeping has deteriorated at the same rate that his batting has improved

However, Paine is a pretty ordinary keeper as well so let's not kid ourselves that there would be a quantum improvement in that regard if he played

pup11

International Coach
The vast majority of dismissals in some form come from a batsman's mistake.

Its the fundamental difference between batting and bowling. Bowlers can afford mistakes as long as they are capable of that one dangerous delivery, while batsmen have to be painstakingly consistent to succeed.

Its why someone like Phil Hughes or Smith in a logical universe will fail as test batsmen. Too many 'mistakes'.
If a bloke like Cook can make runs as a test batsman with the kind of technique that he has, then anybody can do it tbh.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I have to disagree with that having watched Paine. Far far far superior behind the sticks, haddin is barely a backstop nowadays

Spark

Global Moderator
Haddin's keeping has deteriorated at the same rate that his batting has improved

However, Paine is a pretty ordinary keeper as well so let's not kid ourselves that there would be a quantum improvement in that regard if he played
Really? Paine's struck me as a good keeper from what I've seen. Very agile, although probably less likely to pull off the screamer

Ruckus

International Captain
I just get the feeling while Ponting is the central figure in the team, his bad form rubs off on everyone else, especially Clarke. I would be very happy if the Captaincy went to someone else after this series and the spotlight was taken off Ponting. The question is though, who should it go to? I don't think Clarke is ready, and his first priority needs to be getting his batting sorted.

social

If the shot he played today constitutes "Ponting get a ball too good for him" then I'm really worried.

I thought the Adelaide innings was the spark Clarke needed, as he looked, if not quite at his SA 07/08 or Ashes 09 form, at least in reasonable nick with his footwork against pace. But his innings today was shocking. It wasn't just the ball he nicked, the four wasn't much better and he played one awful-looking drive to mid off. Somehow those two managed to come off the middle but it couldn't, and didn't, last.

It's just depressing seeing the two players I enjoy watching the most be so unspeakably terrible.
They're replaying the day's play atm and both were truly awful

Whatever happened to keeping out the straight ones and leaving the rest alone for a while?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I just get the feeling while Ponting is the central figure in the team, his bad form rubs off on everyone else, especially Clarke. I would be very happy if the Captaincy went to someone else after this series and the spotlight was taken off Ponting. The question is though, who should it go to? I don't think Clarke is ready, and his first priority needs to get his batting sorted.
Posted this before, but I always imagine heads instantly dropping once Ponting gets dismissed cheaply and a sense of panic quickly spreading

Redbacks

International Captain
Clarke just doesn't appear to have the self-discipline to maintain performance at an elite level. Wavers between brilliant and pedestrian far too much.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Haddin gets a lot of credit for some spectacular diving saves and catches, when really his **** footwork means he has to dive to what normal keepers would be taking on the skip

social

Really? Paine's struck me as a good keeper from what I've seen. Very agile, although probably less likely to pull off the screamer
Was pretty average in India (not the easiest place to keep, mind you) and not great in ODIs

Think it's fair to say that he probably wont be the next Healy

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If a bloke like Cook can make runs as a test batsman with the kind of technique that he has, then anybody can do it tbh.
Cook, when on form at least, has a solid defense. I'm yet to see Hughes on form, so can't really tell if he does, but if he defends like this all the time he won't last long.

Ruckus

International Captain
Clarke just doesn't appear to have the self-discipline to maintain performance at an elite level. Wavers between brilliant and pedestrian far too much.
Don't think there is much truth to that. Each year between 2006-2009 (inclusive) he has been averaging over 50.