• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Ratings - As We Go By...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Flibbertyjibber is rated too highly for mine. Sprays posts all over the place and is rarely accurate. Sledging is average, but does have the tendency to get under an opponent's skin by saying it with a grin on his face. 2

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Code:
GP Swann (Eng)	       2	121.1	19	322	9	5/91	7/161	35.77	2.65	80.7	1	0
JM Anderson (Eng)	2	83.0	23	257	8	4/51	6/143	32.12	3.09	62.2	0	0

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
a) The call can come earlier from the batsman himself.
b) The batsman on strike has more information to make the call.
c) Lessens confusion, in working out when it is the striker/non-striker's call.

I agree with you on most things with coaching, but looks like we'll have to sit on opposite sides of the fence for this one.
Funnily enough I did this today. I hit the ball to a deepish backward point, called the run and ran my captain out without him facing a ball. He was going to the danger end but I called and set of running and I kind of forgot he was 45 yrs old.

Interestingly, we had 2 ICC coaches from Aus (one of whom knows you well--cant remember his name) assessing the Philippines and I asked them about what you said ie striker pretty much always calls. They confirmed what you said and frankly, IMO, they didnt make convincing arguments. :)

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
English poster ratings after two Tests:

BoyBrumby - 6. Does ok for himself despite the obvious handicap.
flibbertyjibber - 4. Jesus weeps after every post.
Marcuss - 2. Usually good value, but the decline has been sudden and quite noticeable. Might be terminal.
Goughy - 7. Gets the highest rating for being a self-hating pom.
marc71178 - 1. Improving.
zaremba - 3. Consistent drivel for two Ashes series now. Impressive.
four_or_six - 5. Will you still need Watto when he's 64?
Jamee999 - 3. Goes missing when England do poorly and then suddenly he's back when they do well. The ultimate bandwagon fan.
GIMH - 0. Oxygen thief.
:(

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Funnily enough I did this today. I hit the ball to a deepish backward point, called the run and ran my captain out without him facing a ball. He was going to the danger end but I called and set of running and I kind of forgot he was 45 yrs old.

Interestingly, we had 2 ICC coaches from Aus (one of whom knows you well--cant remember his name) assessing the Philippines and I asked them about what you said ie striker pretty much always calls. They confirmed what you said and frankly, IMO, they didnt make convincing arguments. :)
Was it Tom Evans?

Forgot that you are in the Philippines, one of my best mates is involved in Game Development in the ICC for the East Asia/Pacific region.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
English poster ratings after two Tests:

BoyBrumby - 6. Does ok for himself despite the obvious handicap.
flibbertyjibber - 4. Jesus weeps after every post.
Marcuss - 2. Usually good value, but the decline has been sudden and quite noticeable. Might be terminal.
Goughy - 7. Gets the highest rating for being a self-hating pom.
marc71178 - 1. Improving.
zaremba - 3. Consistent drivel for two Ashes series now. Impressive.
four_or_six - 5. Will you still need Watto when he's 64?
Jamee999 - 3. Goes missing when England do poorly and then suddenly he's back when they do well. The ultimate bandwagon fan.
GIMH - 0. Oxygen thief.
I'm no England fan, but I think it's a bit harsh to have all those lads with negative scores.

Burgey

That's the thing though, Katich didn't make any attempt at communicating with Watson - he was ballwatching. While Watson has apparently admitted his call wasn't loud enough, Katich should have responded to Watson running - and it wasn't even a tight single. Watson made the single easily by lightly jogging it. If Katich had gone early and gone hard, there would have been no need for Trott to have a shy, the run would have been completed by the time he got the ball in his hands.
Exactly, and we'd have made 7-656.

That's why I'm glad Katich got injured. It saved the embarrassment of sacking him for costing us a Test match. Stupid **** he is.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean at the end of the day Trott had time to stand, admire the view for a few seconds, take aim, take aim again, steady himself, count to three and STILL have Katich metres out.

morgieb

Watson - 8. Superb in the 2nd innings, even if he didn't get his century.
Hughes - 2. Still looks like a bitch against the short ball.
Ponting - 2. Another poor performance. Could sadly be the end of the road.
Clarke - 3. Got a start in the 2nd innings but was still pretty poor.
Hussey - 9. Anything this guy can't do? Such a good ton.
Smith - 4. Wasn't comfortable but still got some more runs than other players....
Haddin - 7. Strong innings in the 1st innings and kept reasonably well.
Johnson - 10. Anything he couldn't do? Lethal in the 1st innings, got us to a respectable score in our 1st innings.
Harris - 9. 9 wickets sure is a lot especially when Johnson's on form.
Siddle - 6. Didn't get much of a chance to bowl but his batting was fun.
Hilf - 5. Was meh in the 1st innings but was pretty decent in the 2nd.

Strauss - 5.5. Got a 50 in the first innings but wasn't that comfortable doing so....
Cook - 5. Fell back to earth big time here. Especially on the 1st day he looked like getting another century.
Trott - 5. Looked ok in the 2nd innings but him getting out changed the result from likely defeat to certain defeat.
Pietersen - 2. Score resembled an area code. Need I say more?
Collingwood - 2.5. Was pretty useless, again. At least he took a wicket....
Bell - 6.5. Saved them from disaster in the 1st innings but didn't do anything in the 2nd.
Prior - 5. Keeping was OK, but batting wasn't really.
Swann - 4. Should've bowled more in the 2nd innings. Typical of a spinner @ Perth.
Tremlett - 8.5. Great comeback. Easily England's best bowler.
Anderson - 7. Similar to most of his matches - stats was meh but was good regardless.
Finn - 6. As always, took wickets but served up dross in between.

Zinzan

Watson - 8. Superb in the 2nd innings, even if he didn't get his century.
Hughes - 2. Still looks like a bitch against the short ball.
Ponting - 2. Another poor performance. Could sadly be the end of the road.
Clarke - 3. Got a start in the 2nd innings but was still pretty poor.
Hussey - 9. Anything this guy can't do? Such a good ton.
Smith - 4. Wasn't comfortable but still got some more runs than other players....
Haddin - 7. Strong innings in the 1st innings and kept reasonably well.
Johnson - 10. Anything he couldn't do? Lethal in the 1st innings, got us to a respectable score in our 1st innings.
Harris - 9. 9 wickets sure is a lot especially when Johnson's on form.
Siddle - 6. Didn't get much of a chance to bowl but his batting was fun.
Hilf - 5. Was meh in the 1st innings but was pretty decent in the 2nd.

Strauss - 5.5. Got a 50 in the first innings but wasn't that comfortable doing so....
Cook - 5. Fell back to earth big time here. Especially on the 1st day he looked like getting another century.
Trott - 5. Looked ok in the 2nd innings but him getting out changed the result from likely defeat to certain defeat.
Pietersen - 2. Score resembled an area code. Need I say more?
Collingwood - 2.5. Was pretty useless, again. At least he took a wicket....
Bell - 6.5. Saved them from disaster in the 1st innings but didn't do anything in the 2nd.
Prior - 5. Keeping was OK, but batting wasn't really.
Swann - 4. Should've bowled more in the 2nd innings. Typical of a spinner @ Perth.
Tremlett - 8.5. Great comeback. Easily England's best bowler.
Anderson - 7. Similar to most of his matches - stats was meh but was good regardless.
Finn - 6. As always, took wickets but served up dross in between.
^ Pretty much on the money, although wouldn't have given Johnson a 10, maybe a 9-9.5.

Would be interested in people's series-to-date ratings