Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80

Thread: Congrats RT Ponting

  1. #1
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678

    Congrats RT Ponting

    150th Test, this Friday. Champion Australian sportsman, all-time great cricketer. Hope he has a few more in him yet.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  2. #2
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,805
    Love Ricky. May he enjoy many more
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  3. #3
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    Celebratory double, please.

    And more of this afternoon. Very encouraging.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  4. #4
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Great things tend to happen to great players on landmarks...so hopefully that trend will continue come Adelaide.


  5. #5
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Congrats. Great milestone for a great player.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    Wag.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

    Manager of South Australia (WCC)

    Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,005
    What a player he's been. Stunning record.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

  8. #8
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,904
    What a champion.
    Jesus saves

    proudly supporting Liverpool FC

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,113
    I never want Ricky to retire. The last remaining cricketer from my childhood of watching Australia dominate. 150 Tests, and I can easily wheel out 50 or 60 great innings (today was one of them)

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,077
    As a "champion Australian sportsman, all-time great cricketer"- Where does he stand next to Border and Waugh?

    How would losing 3 Ashes series hurt his legacy?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,005
    Ricky may have been there when Australia lost, but he didn't lose them.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    I never want Ricky to retire. The last remaining cricketer from my childhood of watching Australia dominate. 150 Tests, and I can easily wheel out 50 or 60 great innings (today was one of them)
    Yep. It's going to be so weird when he retires... was just a shining beacon of brilliance through my early teens.

    Gonna be worse when Hussey and Clarke are gone as well. We'll have no one in the side who knows what it feels like to dominate an opposition, just crush them, again and again and again.

    ---

    Ponting >>>>>>> Waugh. Possibly > Border, but it's a tough call given I've never seen Border play live.

  13. #13
    International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    As a "champion Australian sportsman, all-time great cricketer"- Where does he stand next to Border and Waugh?

    How would losing 3 Ashes series hurt his legacy?
    I don't think he will ever go down as a great captain like Border and Waugh. I think he will always be remembered as a batsman first, and as a captain second. With Border and Waugh, I always consider them the other way around.

    I do feel for Ponting, he has captained Australia through a period of dramatic change losing so many great players at once. A very similar situation to Border, but unlike Border, Ponting doesn't have a decade to mould the team into his own image and he has had to battle with his own decline in form with age.

  14. #14
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    We'll have no one in the side who knows what it feels like to dominate an opposition, just crush them, again and again and again.
    We will if we pack it full of Victorians, itbt.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    I don't think he will ever go down as a great captain like Border and Waugh. I think he will always be remembered as a batsman first, and as a captain second. With Border and Waugh, I always consider them the other way around.

    I do feel for Ponting, he has captained Australia through a period of dramatic change losing so many great players at once. A very similar situation to Border, but unlike Border, Ponting doesn't have a decade to mould the team into his own image and he has had to battle with his own decline in form with age.
    Oh I thought he meant as a complete cricketer... in which case, > Waugh but <<<<< Border

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Strauss vs. Ponting
    By Blog it for six in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-11-2010, 10:39 AM
  2. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 24-04-2010, 12:56 AM
  3. Player of the Decade - Ponting
    By Edged&Taken in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 372
    Last Post: 20-01-2010, 09:39 PM
  4. Is Ricky Ponting a better batsman than Brian Lara?
    By Avada Kedavra in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 400
    Last Post: 14-12-2009, 08:08 PM
  5. Ponting calls quits to Twenty20
    By Jakester1288 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 14-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •