Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Congrats RT Ponting

Banned
    Excellent player. Congrats.

Amazing career. Brilliant stuff.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

WAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Such a treat to watch, looked superb today. Legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Such a gun. Will be a far different place when he pulls the plug.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Thread deserves to be moved to CC.

Wonderful batsman and fielder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Bloody champion. Legend in my house. Hoping he does the same as he did in his 100th test.

Champion. All the best.

Still looks like Bush though.
    Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

wish he had never become captain. despite so many test wins and two world cups, the two ashes defeats, the two series defeats in india and the home series loss against SA kind of overshadow his stunning batsmanship. people get confused between (the wonderful batsman + mostly successful captain) and (the big series losing skipper + struggler in India). somehow, sachin and lara with **** captaincy records seem to be judged purely as batsmen. if ponting were to be judged on batting alone he should be very close to them. with his great captaincy record in tests and ODIs and his stunning fielding he should be bunched along with them as an all-time legend. but somehow he is ranked below them everytime. i hope posterity is kinder to punter, though. he should not be a top 50 cricketer forever. he should be upgraded to the top 25.

congrats punter. keep going on and on..... and retire 500 runs and 5 centuries short of sachin.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    I would be interested to fast forward 50 years into the future. I don't think future generations will appreciate the likes of Ponting and Dravid and what they achieved. The modern day is full of so many cricketers who average > 50, and I can already imagine the stats tweaking that will one day occur to degrade the greats of this era.

It makes me understand how those who watched Sobers play are so defensive about his record. Cricket is a numbers game, but for someone like Ponting there are so many stories and context behind the impressive numbers he has put up.

wac
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Regular
    It has been said that the last 2-3 years he has been out of form. But I don't agree with that, imo its just a phase in his career where things don't go right for him. There are players like Hussey who when out of form look all at sea and lose most of their strokes, but not Ponting. I have seen him in "good touch" so many times in the last 2 years that it simply cannot be bad form. He has a habit though of finding the fielders when he does get starts, which he did not do before. He still and always has gotten out for cheap scores, it's just his conversion rate that has hit a road-block in the last 2-3 years.

There are talks for example that he hits his pull strokes in the air and gets hit or mistimes pulls/hooks. Well the thing is he has always done that. You can find examples in the videos that robelinda posted that he has always hit the pull/hook shot in the air in some point in his innings, and many commentators have always said "He gives you a chance" when playing that shot. Those chances are coming much more frequently now though.

Because of his character and that seeming he rarely loses his shots makes me think that Ponting could still play for 5-10 more years and still be Australia's best batsmen. But the chances are he will quit for some other reason, but certainly he could bat till in his mid 40s if he wanted to.
    Last edited by TumTum; 29-11-2010 at 06:57 AM.

vcs
    His judgment of the single has become a recurrent problem in the last couple of years, as much as the much-scrutinized pull/hook shot.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    150th Test, this Friday.
    If selected.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a mans right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of ones own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain ones life and to keep the results of ones own efforts.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    I never want Ricky to retire. The last remaining cricketer from my childhood of watching Australia dominate. 150 Tests, and I can easily wheel out 50 or 60 great innings (today was one of them)
    Same here. I will actually be devastated when he retires. He's the last link with all our great players from the 90s and 00s
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information