• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Trott always been so poor against short bowling or this a recent phenomenon?

It's a shame it only took about 28 sessions to work out where to bowl him
Distinctly remember a couple of posters (TEC, IIRC) bringing it up during the tour matches. Agreed though, why it's taken so long for them to test him out there is a mystery to me.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
What is the logic behind picking a spinner at all? Just pick your best 4 bowlers. Honestly I dont think there was anyone who thought to themselves after the 3 pace bowlers failed to make the 2nd breakthrough this morning, 'lets test them against Doherty'. With North and Katich in the side, think they have that base covered, the majority of spin bowlers in Australia arent significantly better than these 2. Sad state of events I know but the mighty have fallen.
Many of us said this before the first test.

Doherty is Michael Yardy without any batting ability. He is not in any way, shape or form, a test match spinner.

There's an argument for Hauritz, but I personally prefer just using North and picking four frontline seamers. And I said that pre-series.

91Jmay

International Coach
Has Trott always been so poor against short bowling or this a recent phenomenon?

It's a shame that the bowling is so **** that i'd be surprised that it effects him massively this series.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

No he has always been this poor, just your lot are too thick to realise it.

He got out playing the pull in 3 innings in the warm ups so it isn't as if the information wasn't out there.:laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach

The guy has never played a pull/hook shot before this tour in International cricket and this point has been brought up several times before the series. Not sure what kind of research/analysis is done (if any) by the coaching and technical staff but its pretty obvious that the guys strengths are on the drive and hes generally struggled to score fluently when bowlers have pulled their lengths back.

Mister Wright

Exactly!!! and the reason he sucked in India was... well ... anyone's gues... The Indians are always solid against spinners.... Well I think we will very soon find out how much impact Doherty gets at SCG (doubtedly the most spinner friendly track in Aus).
He won't make it to the 3rd test. Hauritz will be back after taking another bag in the next Shield game.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain

No its been a weakness for a while, though exarcebated by Australian conditions.

Problem, is your bowlers have just been too inconsistent to exploit it properly.

social

No he has always been this poor, just your lot are too thick to realise it.

He got out playing the pull in 3 innings in the warm ups so it isn't as if the information wasn't out there.:laugh:
Wasnt needed in the first innings of the first test and didnt watch enough of the second innings to know if they tried it or not

However, the last part of this innings was woeful and I cant imagine why fast bowlers simply wouldnt bombard him from now on

91Jmay

International Coach
Wasnt needed in the first innings of the first test and didnt watch enough of the second innings to know if they tried it or not

However, the last part of this innings was woeful and I cant imagine why fast bowlers simply wouldnt bombard him from now on
You not see Bollinger try a few bouncers early and give away 4 byes and 5 wides. He has a **** bouncer, thats why.

hazsa19

International Regular
the problem with bowling short is that he's great off his hips (usually). So if you bowl too short you'll be called wide or he'll duck, if you're not short enough he'll tuck you away all day.

I wouldn't reccommend bowling exclusively short to him, just slip it in at head height as a surprise ball.

pskov

International 12th Man
2 pitches have been flat so there's no excuse at all for the conditions
Flat as in they have consistent carry and aren't seaming once the new ball is seen off, but they've still had a bit more bounce than your typical English pitch. Makes all the difference to a guy who is fine off his hips but horrid pulling/hooking.

Spark

Global Moderator

A fair few people were calling it before the series

---

Actually quite enjoyed that tea break. Surprised.

tooextracool

International Coach
gotta take my hat off to Cook, I thought he was lucky to be given so much time to regain his form, but hes batted beautifully.
Yep hes played brilliantly. Surely the amount of time hes spent in these 3 innings has to be some sort of record? I thought he came in for some unnecessary stick over the summer, his technique is a lot better than what it used to be (thought there are still some kinks) but his concentration and temperament really are a class above anything we've seen in recent test history.

tooextracool

International Coach
Flat as in they have consistent carry and aren't seaming once the new ball is seen off, but they've still had a bit more bounce than your typical English pitch. Makes all the difference to a guy who is fine off his hips but horrid pulling/hooking.
Think Brisbane was on the slower side, but this has enough pace and bounce to carry out a barrage of short balls at him.

hazsa19

International Regular
if it becomes overcast and rainy over the next 3 days, will it disrupt the deterioation of the pitch?

Will it just simply put some life back into the pitch and keep it a batting paradise?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
the problem with bowling short is that he's great off his hips (usually). So if you bowl too short you'll be called wide or he'll duck, if you're not short enough he'll tuck you away all day.

I wouldn't reccommend bowling exclusively short to him, just slip it in at head height as a surprise ball.
Spot on. Bowling short may work but the margin for error is so small. You are removing a lot of other ways of dismissing him and if you are fractionally off then it is playing to his strength.

Even then, if he sense a problem he is happy enough and patient enough to watch them go by.