Page 9 of 261 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    The thing is, for who? Siddle was the only reason England were kept to a low 1st-dig score. Hilfenhaus was the best, most reliable bowler in the long second innings. Doherty coming out would mean a radical change of tactics. Johnson was the cricketer of the year 12 months ago and removing him would severely weaken the tail.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Doherty, but the selectors clearly see things differently. Wouldn't be surprised - and would be pleased - to see an unchanged attack.
    1/517

Anyone, really.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

We should probably bat the century maker Haddin at 6 and have North coming in at 7.

8 Doherty* 9 Harris 10 Siddle 11 Bollinger isn't a terrific tail but lets just get 20 for 600 with the ball and trust our top 6 to step up to the plate

* Honestly if O'Keefe came in at 8 our tail would look solid and our bowling would look better.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Hilfenhaus would be the first seamer I would replace. He had a solid winter period for Australia, but since coming back to Australia he has shown zero form for Australia or Tasmania. He would be the one bowler who might find form by going back to Shield cricket and taking the wickets like he once did. His lack of swing this game was quite alarming.

School Boy/Girl Captain DragonPunk's Avatar
    IMO all this talk of strengthening our tail is bull****, pick bowlers to bowl out the other team and your top six batsmen should be able to do the bulk of the batting.

Partial agree, you don't want a bunny tail though. However I've seen enough from Doherty, Siddle and Hilfenhaus to know that they're capable of adding 100 runs or so in partnership with a recognised bat, which is about what you expect from your tail.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Not as if replacing Johnson actually weakens the tail. I would be happy to have a tailender who is guaranteed a useful 15-20 runs each time they bat, rather than someone who scores 70 every 10 innings, and 10 in the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPunk View Post
    IMO all this talk of strengthening our tail is bull****, pick bowlers to bowl out the other team and your top six batsmen should be able to do the bulk of the batting.
    I think the key word there though is "should". I don't think anyone would be advocating strengthening the tail if our top 6 were reliable - people are just trying to put up suggestions which compensate for the bad decisions made by selectors, la Marcus North.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I think the key word there though is "should". I don't think anyone would be advocating strengthening the tail if our top 6 were reliable - people are just trying to put up suggestions which compensate for the bad decisions made by selectors, la Marcus North.
    Yeah North is a worry but besides him and possibly the injured Clarke, I think our top six is looking alright. Ponting looked pretty good in his innings this afternoon.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    I hit my head against a brick wall when depth of batting is a concern in relation to picking our best bowlers
    Yeah, me too. If they bowl well enough, how they bat shouldn't come into consideration.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Ponting and Hussey back to near their best is massive for us. Clarke is never more than an innings or two away nowadays, he's been like that for four years now, and if those three are firing...

Ponting 82.28
    Hussey 91.60
    Clarke 77.80

Those numbers go into the ridiculous territory if you only count tests that actually mattered, though.
    Last edited by Spark; 29-11-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPunk View Post
    Yeah North is a worry but besides him and possibly the injured Clarke, I think our top six is looking alright. Ponting looked pretty good in his innings this afternoon.
    I'm not convinced with Ponting yet. So often players look good, but still don't manage to get the runs. E.g. Ponting looked great in India, but failed to convert 70's four times.

Then there is Hussey as well. It is quite possible he might return to his bad form, I really don't know...

As I said he's a hundred away.

And to write off Hussey when he's scored such a positive, fluent hundred is ludicrous. Can't a guy be in form nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    And to write off Hussey when he's scored such a positive, fluent hundred is ludicrous.
    Not really, more than two years of mediocre form puts at least some doubt in my mind.

He seems though to have gone, screw it i'm going to play my natural game.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    So north is officially a bowling all rounder now?
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Page 9 of 261 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread Information