• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And we know this because an English journo reported it :laugh:

It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more likely that Ponting was just calling Strauss a jammy South African **** who couldnt cut it in Sydney grade cricket and was running off the field because an Oz bowler finally fired up if the truth be known

Move on, nothing more to see here
:laugh:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was an outstanding day for England, bowled very well on a very flat deck. Anderson showed what he can do, not only with the new ball, but also when he returned with the older ball, his areas were spot on, Broad again probably deserved a little more than the Haddin wicket, but Finn is still a slight worry. For me he was too full in his first spell and served up far too many half volleys, he aspires to be McGrath-like in his accuracy, he delivered more half-volleys in that spell than McGrath generally did in a series. Of course it's unfair to compare a 21-year old to a seasoned great bowler, but he has a long way to go.

When Finn did get his length right, he was hitting the bat pretty hard and looked much better, but the consistency just wasn't there. His wicket was a bit of a gift, very loose shot from North who was looking very good.

Swann did a very decent job today. This was the first day of a Test match on a supposed batsman's dream, he had very little action off the pitch, and didn't get much of the drift he normally gets. He kept it tight, any aggressive intent they wanted to show against him was difficult because he was so accurate, but Hussey played him exceptionally well. That was until Swann did get one to turn fairly sharply and a couple of wickets was good reward for his patience.
Anderson was outstanding

However, Broad and Swann were major beneficiaries of the pressure that his wickets placed on the scoreboard as that allowed them to go about their business (aided by defensive fields) without much threat of an overly attacking response from the batsmen

Imo, they prodused goodish, professional performances that did a job for their team without posing much of a wicket-taking threat to the opposition - Hussey's wicket came as a particular surprise because he looks like he could play Swann with a leg of a chair at the moment

Finn is a different case

He has bowled a fair amount of crap already this series and looks decidedly pedestrian at times

However, he's young, takes wickets and as his team are in the ascendancy they can afford the odd clanger that will inevitably come from someone his age

social

Wouldn't really think Strauss would even reply to such an inane rant if that was the case. I do think the England journo is probably more accurate in his version of events, rather than a 'you were rubbish in Sydney grade cricket' child-like attempt at winding him up. Don't think you try and goad someone going off the pitch ??? He clearly had a point to make, it wasn't about 'mental disintegration'.
If you believe that, then I have a bloody big clock called Big Ben that I can sell you for a knock-down price

Bun

Banned
Anderson was outstanding

However, Broad and Swann were major beneficiaries of the pressure that his wickets placed on the scoreboard as that allowed them to go about their business (aided by defensive fields) without much threat of an overly attacking response from the batsmen

Imo, they prodused goodish, professional performances that did a job for their team without posing much of a wicket-taking threat to the opposition - Hussey's wicket came as a particular surprise because he looks like he could play Swann with a leg of a chair at the moment

Finn is a different case

He has bowled a fair amount of crap already this series and looks decidedly pedestrian at times

However, he's young, takes wickets and as his team are in the ascendancy they can afford the odd clanger that will inevitably come from someone his age
In short, England got Australia all out for 250less on a road as smooth as Yul Brynner's head. It might have been partially resultant of some insipid stroke making by Aussie batsmen but more importantly it was induced by some allround good bowling by England. Admit.

Bun

Banned
I think you'll find that it stems from Oz having a **** day and Ponting vented on Strauss
Which I think does not look good on a professional sportsman let alone captain of a major cricketing nation. Sounds like a schoolboy whingeing.

Jarquis

Ironic seeing as the issue seems to have originated after Ponting took exception to sledging

Bun

Banned
I didnt realise teams werent allowed to sledge

Times have changed8-)
Of course they're. But that's secondary. They're primarily expected to perform and back that up with sledging etc. Without doing the former, if they just do the latter, they'd better prepare to face ridicule and derision.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting inexplicably grows ******

The idea of the Aussies getting all prissy about being sledged by the likes of Jimmy Anderson really does make me laugh out loud. Man the **** up guys. Or learn to take a little bit of what you've dished out for the last 4 decades. Anyhow, bless him, Punter didn't have the best of days and is maybe feeling the stress a little bit. Something of a Kevin Keegan moment perhaps.
Haha, nice. Seems almost too wuss to be true though.

social

Ironic seeing as the issue seems to have originated after Ponting took exception to sledging
So says the font of all knowledge, an English journalist with nil first-hand knowledge of the incident

It has also been reported that Haddin had a go at Strauss for time-wasting to prevent further overs being bowled, Strauss responded and Ponting stepped in

Sorry but that sounds like an infinitely more likely explanation to me

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Turns out Ponting's little on-field outburst at Strauss after the last over was bowled was because he felt Strauss had failed to control Jimmy Anderson's sledging during Australia's innings.

The idea of the Aussies getting all prissy about being sledged by the likes of Jimmy Anderson really does make me laugh out loud. Man the **** up guys. Or learn to take a little bit of what you've dished out for the last 4 decades. Anyhow, bless him, Punter didn't have the best of days and is maybe feeling the stress a little bit. Something of a Kevin Keegan moment perhaps.
Wouldn't be Australia without a case of being able to dish it out but not being able to take it.

See also: Ashes series of 1932/33.

edit: :laugh: at Uppercut's stealthy change of the link.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Anderson was outstanding

Finn is a different case

Think you're under-estimating the role that both Broad and Swann played today. Simply becuse the wickets column is not 4 or 5, doesn't mean they bowled badly. They helped build the pressure and didn't allow Australia any periods where runs came freely and the pressure was lifted, and all this on a batters dream!

If you believe that, then I have a bloody big clock called Big Ben that I can sell you for a knock-down price
I believe it's infinitely more likely than a comment about his Sydney grade record ???

I didnt realise teams werent allowed to sledge

Times have changed8-)
Yes they have now Ricky has said those naughty English are saying nasty things to their wicket-keeper!!

So says the font of all knowledge, an English journalist with nil first-hand knowledge of the incident

It has also been reported that Haddin had a go at Strauss for time-wasting to prevent further overs being bowled, Strauss responded and Ponting stepped in

Sorry but that sounds like an infinitely more likely explanation to me
It suggests this on Sky, although it is an equally feeble reason to vent your frustration. He'll have another two days to bowl at the English, why worry about another over!!

social

Think you're under-estimating the role that both Broad and Swann played today. Simply becuse the wickets column is not 4 or 5, doesn't mean they bowled badly. They helped build the pressure and didn't allow Australia any periods where runs came freely and the pressure was lifted, and all this on a batters dream!

I believe it's infinitely more likely than a comment about his Sydney grade record ???

Yes they have now Ricky has said those naughty English are saying nasty things to their wicket-keeper!!

It suggests this on Sky, although it is an equally feeble reason to vent your frustration. He'll have another two days to bowl at the English, why worry about another over!!
I never said they bowled badly and if you check the post I made at the end of the day, I referred to England as "excellent"

However, Anderson was the key as runouts aside, the others hardly looked threatening

But, again as I said (sorry I'm not English so dont declare my side world-beaters after one good day and hopeless when they fail the next), they did the job for their team

As for the sledging, get over it as anyone who has watched cricket for more than a heartbeat has problably seen 100 worse incident

And, btw, Strauss was ordinary in grade cricket :laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
As for the sledging, get over it as anyone who has watched cricket for more than a heartbeat has problably seen 100 worse incident
Get over it ?!! Ha ha, don't think you've read my posts!! I want more of it, it's what the Ashes is all about!! I just love seeing Ponting whinge when it doesn't all go his way.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you're right, social, none of us knows for sure what was said (yet) to cause Ricky's little outburst so there's no point in speculating too much. Whatever it was, it was just another sign of the pressure he's under, not unlike the "piss weak umpiring, Aleem, piss weak umpiring" remark to which TV viewers were treated by the Holder of the Flame of the Eternal Spirit of Cricket

Evermind

International Debutant
And we know this because an English journo reported it :laugh:

It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more likely that Ponting was just calling Strauss a jammy South African **** who couldnt cut it in Sydney grade cricket and was running off the field because an Oz bowler finally fired up if the truth be known

Move on, nothing more to see here
Can't figure out if this is sarcasm, or plain delusion.

An Oz bowler "finally fired up"? Are you referring to Smith's first over, in which he bowled 6 balls, 3 of them with no chance of taking a wicket, and ended up...indeed, not taking a wicket?