• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Good additions for the Adelaide squad. Hopefully by the fifth Test we'll have the whole pattato XI.

Ruckus

International Captain
And Copeland. But he only has an average of 17 so that's pretty ****
As much as I'd like to see Copeland debut in Adelaide, it's definately a fair call by the selectors not to pick him. 9 matches is not enough to be a safe option for an Ashes test - I'd still take a risk though, because from what I've seen of him he looks like a bowler who could get some life out of a dead pitch.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As much as I'd like to see Copeland debut in Adelaide, it's definately a fair call by the selectors not to pick him. 9 matches is not enough to be a safe option for an Ashes test - I'd still take a risk though, because from what I've seen of him he looks like a bowler who could get some life out of a dead pitch.
Yeh exactly. He hasn't played a huge sample size, but it's time to take a risk than run along with the same bowlers who can't take 20 wickets.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The thing we have to remember with Copeland and his average is that it's far easier taking the wickets of Liam Davis, Jon Wells, Wade Townsend, James Smith, Michael Hill etc compared with the very good English batting lineup.

I don't want Copeland in our Test team yet, Harris and Bollinger were rightfully chosen,

I'm surprised that a 14th player who can either bat or bowl spin wasn't selected though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The thing we have to remember with Copeland and his average is that it's far easier taking the wickets of Liam Davis, Jon Wells, Wade Townsend, James Smith, Michael Hill etc compared with the very good English batting lineup.

I don't want Copeland in our Test team yet, Harris and Bollinger were rightfully chosen,

I'm surprised that a 14th player who can either bat or bowl spin wasn't selected though.
So then it comes down to whether you trust our state system or not. If you don't, we continue with guys like Johnson or take a risk with Copeland that could pay great dividends

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've heard impressive things about Copeland but I think it's perfectly sound to include Bollinger and Harris ahead of him, who have much more Shield experience and an international pedigree. It'd be very unfair on them to have Copeland jump them in the pecking order.

Ruckus

International Captain

Harris and Bollinger deserve the spots, but Copeland should be right up there imo. It's not just his freakish average (which will undoubtedly climb eventually), but his actual style of bowling which is appealing. From what I've seen he doesn't look just like a 'run in all day, hit the deck hard' kind of bowler, he looks like he can actually get the ball to move off the seam far more than e.g. Siddle or Harris. To me, a bowler like that would be invaluable on a Adelaide type pitch where our other bowlers will probably struggle to cause problems like at the Gabba.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ridiculous that North appears to be so safe.

Out of the squad named -

North (get him out of the way early doors)
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Harris
Doherty
Siddle
Bollinger

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Ridiculous that North appears to be so safe.

Out of the squad named -

Watson
Katich
Clarke
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin
North
Harris
Doherty
Siddle
Bollinger
Ponting on form is better than Clarke, you'd have to say, so not much of a case for a demotion right now.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to the poms for that wicket batting practice I'd be backing Ponting to dominate for the rest of the series after his rather unfortunate dismissal in the first innings

Ruckus

International Captain
Seeing as though Adelaide will probably be good for the spinners, why not use North as the main spinner and play another batsmen? Harsh on Doherty, but he seems kind of redundant...

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting on form is better than everyone, tbh.

Yeah people are being so harsh on North. His part-timers are so very useful. Easily our best bowler second innings, flight and accuracy.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Seeing as though Adelaide will probably be good for the spinners, why not use North as the main spinner and play another batsmen? Harsh on Doherty, but he seems kind of redundant...
Yeah I don't rate Doherty at all right now. Doesn't give the ball any flight and he just bowls 90 km/h darts

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So then it comes down to whether you trust our state system or not. If you don't, we continue with guys like Johnson or take a risk with Copeland that could pay great dividends
Frankly I don't trust it at the moment.

All the teams are playing at the same mediocre standard and hardly anyone is standing out from the crowd.

The players who are standing out deserve to be mentioned on here like Copeland, but how confident are you that he'll do a reasonable job against one of the best Test batting lineups?