Page 39 of 261 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Only from one journalist.

Fact remains that he's not even in the squad, so won't be making an appearance tonight.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Finn's position is really all I was talking about. I think Tremlett and Shahzad look better, and there were rumours at one stage of the latter making an appearance instead of Finn.
    Haha, was clearly never going to happen.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Finn's position is really all I was talking about. I think Tremlett and Shahzad look better, and there were rumours at one stage of the latter making an appearance instead of Finn.
    Finn's done nothing that merits him being replaced though.

Johnson's axing is a much welcome change, its something that should have been done long ago so that he could have gone back to the drawing board to work on his shortcomings. In the end the selectors probably have done him more harm than any good by treating him like a protected specie, hope he takes this in a positive way and comes back a better bowler.
    Also reading reports that they are gonna be dropping Hilfenhaus for Harris which is quite ridiculous, I don't have any problems with Rhyno getting picked but it shouldn't be at Hilfy's expense. We should just drop Doherty to accommodate Harris in the XI.
    Personally I rate Doherty pretty highly as a one day bowler but test cricket is just not his thing and they are just wasting a slot by having him in the test side, might take a 5-for now since I have said this but still it doesn't change the fact that his bowling isn't cut out for red ball cricket.
    So my XI for the test would be :
    Katich
    Watson
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Hilditch's boyfriend
    Haddin
    Harris
    Siddle
    Hilfenhaus
    Bollinger

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha, was clearly never going to happen.
    Yeah probably not, and I'm grateful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Finn's done nothing that merits him being replaced though.
    Would indeed be harsh to drop someone after a 6-for, but doesn't change my opinion of who I think looks more dangerous out of Finn, Shahzad and Tremlett. Finn was alright, but the scorecard flatters him imo. Was very impressed with both of the others in the Aus A game.

Anyway, adios muchachos...

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Miles wide of the mark.

Runs are important whoever scores them, and runs from numbers 7-11 can frequently have an enormous impact on the course of a match.

If you have a crap tail (if you're talking about England in the 90s, think Caddick, Malcolm, Tufnell, Mullally) then when you lose your 6th wicket you're basically sunk. That becomes a big point of weakness for your team.
    Still have to choose your best bowlers though. A fine example of this is Ashley Giles over Monty. Bowlers are there to bowl, of course it's nice if they can bat and benefit the team. If they're not bowling well however, then the batsmen aren't going to step in and do their bit with the ball (for the most part). You'd hope both would do their job and the others won't have to try to make up for it.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 02-12-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Finn and Siddle's 6-fers at the Gabba are gonna ensure that they play through atleast till the 4th test regardless of how badly they perform from now onwards, and guess that's something that's likely to hurt both teams during the course of this series.
    Btw... read somewhere that the curator at the Adeliade oval has changed, so can we now expect a slightly more sporting pitch there!?
    Last edited by pup11; 02-12-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Backing North to score plenty in this test

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Still have to choose your best bowlers though. A fine example of this is Ashley Giles over Monty. Bowlers are there to bowl, of course it's nice if they can bat and benefit the team. If they're not bowling well however, then the batsmen aren't going to step in and do their bit with the ball (for the most part). You'd hope both would do their job and the others won't have to try to make up for it.
    True... couldn't agree more with this, when as a team you are struggling to take 20 wkts then all you should be doing is picking bowlers who can together form a decent enough bowling attack to take those required wickets, their batting credentials should hardly be a concern.
    Also its not as if Johnson's batting efforts in recent times were any better than a tailender's.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Backing North to score plenty in this test
    Yeah... he's due for a 100, isn't he..!?

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Yeah... he's due for a 100, isn't he..!?
    Been "due" forever but I feel all the stars are aligned - last chance saloon, good deck, uninspiring oppo attack etc

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I fully understood the decision to pick Giles over Monty, given the fact that whoever played was only going to play a supporting role with the ball at the Gabba; and a 6-11 of Flintoff, Read (as many wanted), Hoggard, Harmison, Anderson and Monty would have been incredibly vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Warne held his own at eight, but he wasn't "excellent" there. Much better #8s around in world cricket at the moment. England have one such player batting nine.,,
    You might agrue that their have been better batsmen than Warne who have batted at #8, but Warne's effectiveness and approach to batting at that position was top notch and something that all tailenders should look to emulate.
    Last edited by pup11; 02-12-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I fully understood the decision to pick Giles over Monty, given the fact that whoever played was only going to play a supporting role with the ball at the Gabba; and a 6-11 of Flintoff, Read (as many wanted), Hoggard, Harmison, Anderson and Monty would have been incredibly vulnerable.
    If England were so concerned about their lower order batting then they should have just a played an extra batsman who could have bowled a bit of spin (like Blackwell), but with the kind of form Panesar was in at that time it made no sense in picking Giles ahead of him.

Final words before the Test - I don't have a good feeling about the batting and think we could see a pretty bad collapse that sees us going 0-1 to Perth. Hope I'm wrong.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Thread Information