• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Ruckus

International Captain
He's a lot better than harris for sure.
Na can't agree with that. Johnson has more potential, but at the moment all that is relevent is his current form, and he is averaging a paltry 10.33 this year. Furthermore, he has 6 ducks in his last 12 innings which really doesn't do the team any favours...

Howe_zat

Audio File
"England captain Andrew Strauss says Kevin Pietersen did not break strict guidelines on the use of social networking sites when he criticised Adelaide ground staff over the practice nets. However, he believes Pietersen failed to realise the potential ramifications of his outburst."

Translation from Strauss-Flower management speak:

"I think we all agree he's been a bit of a dick, but none of us really care that much, and neither should the press".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Na can't agree with that. Johnson has more potential, but at the moment all that is relevent is his current form, and he is averaging a paltry 10.33 this year. Furthermore, he has 6 ducks in his last 12 innings which really doesn't do the team any favours...
Cracked a ton in the Shield game though. Something Harris has actually never done despite playing as an allrounder earlier in his career. It's not like we have a long Test career from Harris to compare with either. They're similar really, but I do think Johnson is a better by a couple of points.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Cracked a ton in the Shield game though. Something Harris has actually never done despite playing as an allrounder earlier in his career. It's not like we have a long Test career from Harris to compare with either. They're similar really, but I do think Johnson is a better by a couple of points.
Yeah, I think the point is that I can imagine Johnson scoring 100 against us, but I can't imagine any of the other Aussie bowlers doing it.

Famous last words.

Ruckus

International Captain
"England captain Andrew Strauss says Kevin Pietersen did not break strict guidelines on the use of social networking sites when he criticised Adelaide ground staff over the practice nets. However, he believes Pietersen failed to realise the potential ramifications of his outburst."

Translation from Strauss-Flower management speak:

"I think we all agree he's been a bit of a dick, but none of us really care that much, and neither should the press".
I don't get why Pietersen always has these outbursts...does he really need to whine to all his fan boys on twitter about these problems? I mean for the sake of not causing a big media fuss, how hard is it to just not use twitter to vent his anger?

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah but as we all know now, shield form is not test form - he also got a 5-for in the shield match. I think overall he is better as well, but not a "lot better" as was stated. For all intents and purposes I think Harris will take up his role smoothly. Btw though, as I'm sure your already aware, Harris has a 94 in FC.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but as we all know now, shield form is not test form
I find this a curious argument when you're comparing him to someone with a Test HS of 18. All Harris has got is Shield form, and not even from this season, and still not as good as Johnson's.

It might not cost us that much, but Johnson is definitely a better batsman than Harris.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find this a curious argument when you're comparing him to someone with a Test HS of 18. All Harris has got is Shield form, and not even from this season, and still not as good as Johnson's.

It might not cost us that much, but Johnson is definitely a better batsman than Harris.
I understand your point. But, despite a shield ton and 5 wickets before the 1st test, Johnson looked far from anything but a bowling all rounder at the test. His batting innings was woeful and his bowling wasn't much better. On current form though (only as good as last game form) Harris is all over Johnson.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Johnson really struggles against spin and Swann could have made him his bunny had he played.. doesn't Swann have a very good record against lefties?

Ruckus

International Captain

Yeah he is better overall (and probably has more potential to increase his average). Johnson, though, is clearly in a trough in his career at the moment, which could explain why his magnificient shield form suddenly disappears when he is playing tests. There is no reason to believe Harris will perform so poorly when he makes the transition to tests again - he is in excellent shield form, like Johnson, however he doesn't have any of the mental issues going on.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think Johnson really struggles against spin and Swann could have made him his bunny had he played.. doesn't Swann have a very good record against lefties?
Johnson doesn't struggle against spin so much as hit out against it. He's wrecked Paul Harris, Adil Rashid and briefly Swann before now. He's really just a glorified slogger with some good shots, not unlike Swanny himself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he is better overall (and probably has more potential to increase his average). Johnson, though, is clearly in a trough in his career at the moment, which could explain why his magnificient shield form suddenly disappears when he is playing tests. There is no reason to believe Harris will perform so poorly when he makes the transition to tests again - he is in excellent shield form, like Johnson, however he doesn't have any of the mental issues going on.
To be fair, Johnson's duck last innings and his general poor batting form should mean, under your usual logic, that he's much more likely to score runs in the next Test than anyone else in the country as the cosmic forces of cricket return his mean performance to its true value. :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
To be fair, Johnson's duck last innings and his general poor batting form should mean, under your usual logic, that he's much more likely to score runs in the next Test than anyone else in the country as the cosmic forces of cricket return his mean performance to its true value. :ph34r:
haha, nice deviation.