• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haddin's runs were quite crucial last test to be fair.

I know this is being captain ****ing obvious but it would be awesome if we had Shane Warne in our team.
It would mean we could pick the 4 best bowlers in the country, we wouldn't have to worry about how good they bat as Warne could handle number 8 quite well, we would have a better slip cordon and we wouldn't have to pick a guy like North who I'm sure is in the team as a bit of a backup to the spinner if he is struggling.

I can't think of any Cricketer in the history of the game that would help benefit this Australian team the most. Yep not even the Don..
Good point. Warne was an excellent number 8, and if one of your other 3 bowlers could hold a bat, as was usually the case, you'd be guaranteed a competitive tail.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haddin's runs were quite crucial last test to be fair.

I know this is being captain ****ing obvious but it would be awesome if we had Shane Warne in our team.
It would mean we could pick the 4 best bowlers in the country, we wouldn't have to worry about how good they bat as Warne could handle number 8 quite well, we would have a better slip cordon and we wouldn't have to pick a guy like North who I'm sure is in the team as a bit of a backup to the spinner if he is struggling.

I can't think of any Cricketer in the history of the game that would help benefit this Australian team the most. Yep not even the Don..
Could take over captaincy too. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good point. Warne was an excellent number 8, and if one of your other 3 bowlers could hold a bat, as was usually the case, you'd be guaranteed a competitive tail.
Warne held his own at eight, but he wasn't "excellent" there. Much better #8s around in world cricket at the moment. England have one such player batting nine.,,

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne held his own at eight, but he wasn't "excellent" there. Much better #8s around in world cricket at the moment. England have one such player batting nine.,,
You reckon Swann is a better batsman than Warne? I admit I haven't seen enough of him to say with any confidence?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps it's relative because he came in after 7 outstanding batsmen, and when required to bat was often able to join in with a merry counter-attack. I can picture a number of innings he played against us: Edgbaston 97, OT 05 and SCG 07. Anyway to my eye he always looked perfect for that role.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of Warney's batting, here's a photo (taken once again by the redoubtable Mrs Z) of the last ball he ever faced in Test cricket.

Big innings, that, took the game away from us and gave the Aussies a brief taste of winning 5-0 before the series was stripped of its official accreditation and stricken from the record books.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You reckon Swann is a better batsman than Warne? I admit I haven't seen enough of him to say with any confidence?
Pretty comfortably, tbh. Warne's average doesn't really reflect his performances for the reasons zaremba outlined but I still don't think he'd have cracked the 20 barrier in a worse team.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Some reading between the lines has resulted in the story that Ponting is unhappy about Johnson being dropped.

Asked why Johnson failed to receive the kind of backing from selectors that had been shown to Australia's struggling middle-order batsmen, Ponting replied: "Good question, you might have to ask Andrew Hilditch that."

Jayzamann

International Regular
Goddamn SACA I don't even think I own five different collared shirts.

I just read that Pietersen was not disciplined for being a sulky bitch over twitter about the practice nets not being covered up yesty when it rained. While I agree with him that it was pretty slack on the hands of the curators, I don't think discipline should be levelled against cricketers speaking their minds on social media. Love the banter, especially from that swannyg66 fella.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Goddamn SACA I don't even think I own five different collared shirts.

I just read that Pietersen was not disciplined for being a sulky bitch over twitter about the practice nets not being covered up yesty when it rained. While I agree with him that it was pretty slack on the hads of the curators, I don't think discipline should be levelled against cricketers speaking their minds on social media. Love the banter, especially from that swannyg66 fella.
I'm much more concerned that twitter has alerted me to KP's friendship with Piers Morgan. Disturbing to say the least.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That story is garbage in my opinion. Well done Punter, he's on the eve of an extremely important match, the last thing he would want to be thinking about is why players are not in the XI.
Indeed. FMD journalism is so bad sometimes