Page 259 of 261 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261 LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 3906

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Because he has done just as poorly as Hilfenhaus and Johnson. So have Siddle and Bollinger. Why does Harris keep his spot, when H and J had to lose it?

That's not my logic, that's Aussie selector logic, if they are to be consistent.
    That wouldn't be consistent though. They didn't drop our best bowler from the First Test...why would they do it after the 2nd?

If you think he did as poorly as the Hilf and Johnson I can only assume you weren't watching...actually, even if you weren't watching and only looked at the stats...he still looks better.

The reason he keeps his spot is because he bowled relatively decent lines most of the time, took two wickets, and was our best bowler. Johnson did none of those things. There's no comparison between their efforts in the first and second tests.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayzamann View Post
    Really want to see some heads roll, yet can't for the life of me think of who would come into the side to make a difference, nor who is really responsible for playing so poorly. I suppose a 1-0 scoreline flatters the fact that the last 6 wickets for England have cost 1,000,000 runs each. Hopelessly crashing on batsmen-friendly conditions is inexcusable as well.
    Probably no one. The selectors will be let off possibly by the public for trying to 'win' the ashes rather than go for a rebuild but I think after the series the tough questions will need to be answered.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I don't get that at all though, because North is 31, and Watson and Clarke are both 29. Those guys have been playing test cricket (especially Clarke) longer than North anyway, so what would 2 years of pure 'age experience' actually provide? Furthermore, seeing as though the older guys like Ponting and Hussey will still be around probably for another year at least, wouldn't it be better to bring in some new players now so they can learn from those guys?
    I'm as confused as you are. I daresay it was all devil's advocate trying to gain a semblance of an idea as to the thought process of the selectors.

Absolutely magnificent effort by the Poms, fair play.

Shades of this game for mine

Am I alone in thinking Broad's not actually such a crucial loss for England with a couple of other tall bowlers on the sidelines?
    Last edited by Zinzan; 07-12-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post

Am I alone in thinking Broad's not actually such a crucial loss for England with a couple of other tall bowlers on the sidelines?
    He's not such a crucial loss now that Anderson & Swann are bowling well. But Broad will be missed because he can suddenly have a massive impact (The Oval, Durban, etc) and change the game. This, plus his batting, can't really be matched by any of the reserves.

Aside: Love that scorecard. Hadlee basically won games on his own.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 07-12-2010 at 04:34 AM.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

[QUOTE=social;2399445]Prediction - a bunch of Oz batsmen to score nice 50s, throw it away when set and lose heavily

Basis - 2 years of this ****[/QUOTE]

Thank you linesmen, thankyou ball boys

Before anyone declares me to be the Nostradamus of cricket, read highlighted section

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post

Probably not in Perth as Tremlett being just as tall can do the same job. Not sure Tremlett will last 3 games back to back though so we may miss Broad later, guess Shahzad can come in though and do a very good job reversing it later in the series.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    He's not such a crucial loss now that Anderson & Swann are bowling well. But Broad will be missed because he can suddenly have a massive impact (The Oval, Durban, etc) and change the game. This, plus his batting, can't really be matched by any of the reserves.

Aside: Love that scorecard. Hadlee basically won games on his own.
    33 wickets at 12 in a 3-match series...

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

Before anyone declares me to be the Nostradamus of cricket, read highlighted section
    Or, I can point to:

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Swann to get 2 - 153

Commentators to remind us 154 times that he is the top ranked spinner in the world

He is clearly the top ranked spinner in the world. You predicted an average of about 76 in the second innings, he ended up with an average of 18.6. Close .

No worries, my predictions are much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Why does Harris keep his spot, when H and J had to lose it?
    Did you just watch any of the test match? Or are you just going by his figures

Harris is a high class bowler
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    A thoroughly clinical performance in this Test by England, we got Australia down and never let them back up, real foot on the throat stuff.

Great effort by Swann and Anderson on that final morning, with the storms coming in during the afternoon, it shows how important those early wickets were.

Was surprised at the lack of Aussie fight, and never dreamt we'd have it wrapped up in 90 minutes of play, they only needed to bat for something like a further hour and 45 minutes and they'd have saved it. It would have been tough on England, but you don't always get what you deserve in cricket.

Five wickets was just reward for Swann, and had Prior snaffled what was by his much improved standards a regulation chance off Swann, he could have finished with a 6-for.

That was just what you want from your spinner, he gave control in the first innings when little spin was on offer and chipped with a couple of wickets, one a crucial one with Hussey. Then when the track offered more assistance on the fourth and fifth day, he remained economical but was very penetrative also and got his five wickets his performance deserved to help guide us to victory.

The decision by Strauss to take the new ball when he did was spot on, and most of the choices he took throughout this Test were proved correct in the end.

It's Australia that have all the problems, at the moment. We know that can change, bit this is a different England side than many people will have seen in Australia before, and also a very different Aussie side.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Did you just watch any of the test match? Or are you just going by his figures

Harris is a high class bowler
    Yes Harris was the only one that hit the right areas on anything near a consistent basis. Demonstrated good bursts of pace, and will presumably like the extra pace the WACA will offer.

Would be ridiculous to drop him from the side.

I expected to wake up this morning and switch on Sky Sports and see the pitch under 2 foot of water and the match abandoned. However the weather gods were on our side and Jimmy and Swanny were immense.

I hope Tremlett comes in for the 3rd test personally as I think he could do some damage for us, if the pitch has some pace and bounce like they have been mentioning.

Don't really know how the Aussie selectors will approach the 3rs test. Mass culls/wholesale changes never work in the short-term in my opinion. Harris should retain his place and I would also bring Hauritz back in instead of Doherty. I also take it that Hughes will replace Katich.
    God Save The Queen

Thread Information